Login

russian armor

Layoffs at Relic? And the future of COH2

• This thread is locked
PAGES (11)down
14 Mar 2016, 14:43 PM

COHO was canned because of THQ financial difficulties. They lacked the money to further refine/develop such a huge game project.

The game itself was marvelous ! (my tastes)

Thanks.
14 Mar 2016, 14:44 PM

This could be financial difficulties. CoH2 may not have obtained the required numbers that SEGA may have forced onto them.
14 Mar 2016, 14:48 PM

Yes, Relic is becoming a Tea brand. Tea is really popular!

Already nerf that fucking earl gray.
Neo
14 Mar 2016, 14:49 PM

Brad's LinkedIn, we've been over this. I'm guessing you don't have much experience with the professional world because Brad's profile would not indicate his term was over in March 2016 unless he left; it would say "-Present" like Kyle's.

Admittedly this is only evidence that Brad is gone, it doesn't necessarily mean that no one will replace him. But I don't think there's any reason to doubt the sources for this news, given that they are right so far.

Thank you for resisting the inclination to make this personal ;-)

I asked because I thought I had missed something since this morning. Should have known better... :)
14 Mar 2016, 14:51 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 14:49 PMNeo

Thank you for resisting the inclination to make this personal ;-)

I asked because I thought I had missed something since this morning. Should have known better... :)

No worries :)

As I said, I'm only concerned for the people (potentially) affected, and the game/community. I would love to be wrong. Nothing personal about it.
14 Mar 2016, 14:53 PM

Let me preface this with:
  • I have not worked at Relic for some years
  • I have no inside knowledge of what's happening on CoH2 or Relic

However I just wanted to throw in a few details that might add light to this situation.

1) SEGA is a publically traded company and as such would need to release any layoffs of significant size to the press. For example back back during the THQ days. This is largely to protect shareholders.

This announcement generally comes as close as possible to the staff being informed, so that the company can control the messaging and doesn't have a bunch of now unemployed devs on Twitter freaking out the shareholders or so people don't learn from the press that their jobs are gone.

So the idea that there's someone at Relic who would know that there is going to be layoffs, who is telling people outside the studio is hard to believe. Only a few people in the studio at the senior management and HR levels would have much warning that layoffs were coming.

I don't know what the exact size of the layoffs need to be to trigger that, but certainly the entire COH2 team would be enough.

2) The "everyone at Relic is laid off" thing has been going on since at least the launch of CoH2. I remember a lot of people on a particular forum spending a lot of time creating "insider" evidence that proved that I and all of Relic had lost or were about to lose our jobs. I suppose a stopped clock does have to be right at least twice a day, but this is not a new thing.

3) This is just an observation, and feel free to disregard it but as an outside observer who isn't keyed into the current in-jokes of the community the whole "Asian developer might be fired let's make a bunch of rice field jokes" thing comes off as super racist.

I'm sure there's a Oscar Wilde level of wit involved that goes beyond "lol Asian name = rice farmer", but I'm just pointing that out as someone outside of the joke it does seem that way.

Again I have no insider knowledge, but there are ways that a studio has to operate when layoffs happen and Relic hasn't done that. This doesn't rule out layoffs later, in this industry unfortunately this happens. But when I left Relic the studio was stable and I haven't seen anything that would cause that to change.

P.S. If any of the admins could take off the "Developer" flare on my account that would be great. I know that ex-Relicans are considered staff but I wouldn't want anyone to think that my view is official or part of the studio's messaging.
14 Mar 2016, 14:56 PM

If i were Sega/Relic, i would give away free the basic multiplayer part of the game.(The 2 initial armies)
(A.k.a giving free electronic cigarette to sell refill...)

Why :
-More people would play;
-More people would by additional armies/cmrds/skin, e.t.c
-Better matchmaking for starting player.

Leading to :

More cash for Sega;
More money to improve the game.

Thanks.
14 Mar 2016, 14:57 PM

If i were Sega/Relic, i would give away free the basic game.
(A.k.a giving free electronic cigarette to sell refill...)
Thanks.

Make the multiplayer part free, just Soviet and Wermacht.
14 Mar 2016, 15:00 PM

Thx Noon !
14 Mar 2016, 15:00 PM

Make the multiplayer part free, just Soviet and Wermacht.

Exactly ! Thanks for the precision.
14 Mar 2016, 15:02 PM
Patrion 14

Thanks so much for the input Noun. To be clear, what we're hearing is that active development on COH2 is finished, not necessarily that dozens of people have been laid off. Presumably many people have been reassigned, if the rumors are true.

I'm aware that this is hardly the first time we've heard rumors to that effect, but to my knowledge this is the first time that those rumors have been identifiably sourced as coming from within Relic.
14 Mar 2016, 15:08 PM
Admin Red  Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 14:53 PMNoun
P.S. If any of the admins could take off the "Developer" flare on my account that would be great. I know that ex-Relicans are considered staff but I wouldn't want anyone to think that my view is official or part of the studio's messaging.

Or better, quote from the Staff List, where you are listed:

!Noun (Ex Community Manager at Relic, honorary member now)Staff List

Near the bottom:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/418/coh2-org-staff-new-promotions

Of course, you can message any one of the Black Admins to have that badge removed, should you wish so. In fact, the Red Admins may be able to do so as well. MajorBloodnok tends to be active and should respond quickly if you send him a PM about it.

Edit: Seems Janne went by and removed the badge. Whoops, wrong. It was Inverse.
14 Mar 2016, 15:10 PM

Symbol Last price Quote change Market cap
SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC. TYO +10.00 (0.77%) 347.96B

Sega's shares seem to be up....
14 Mar 2016, 15:12 PM
Coder Red Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 14:53 PMNoun

Done. Looks like there's still gonna be a Relic icon on the thread that links to your post unfortunately. I don't think there's anything I can do about that.
14 Mar 2016, 15:19 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 15:12 PMInverse

Done. Looks like there's still gonna be a Relic icon on the thread that links to your post unfortunately. I don't think there's anything I can do about that.

Relic posts cleared for this thread.
14 Mar 2016, 15:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 15:12 PMInverse

No worries. I just want to be clear I'm not at Relic and have no insight into CoH2's current development.

I just wanted to offer some general industry insight into what would happen if layoffs were to occur at a studio owned by a publically traded company.

I'll post again in three years or so.

14 Mar 2016, 15:27 PM

I'm going to break the NDA on this, but when I was in Vancouver recently, I managed to take this picture at their office:

Yes, Relic is becoming a Tea brand. Tea is really popular!

But are we sure Relic will be able to balance the taste JUST RIGHT?

Also, TWININGS! <444>3
Has anyone had their Apple, Cinnamon and Raisin flavored tea?
14 Mar 2016, 15:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 03:10 AMNapalm

Man I love bears

14 Mar 2016, 15:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 15:22 PMNoun

lmao as a former rogue main i love that .gif :lolol:
14 Mar 2016, 15:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 12:58 PMpugzii

The build should be automated along with tests, this is how it worked at my previous company. You could literally edit some variables and launch a build and it would tag the build, compile it, test it and push a patch to a repository where it could be QA tested - needing programmers to build it manually is awful and is only something shitty indies do.

They will have statistics 100%, and these will be reviewed at monthly (or so) meetings with leads of Relic, likely these constant patch fuckups and hotfix fuckups went to far and were noticed, especially when it costs them 'money and time' per patch.

Maven? :romeoHairDay:
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight