Login

russian armor

Give UC cap

6 Mar 2016, 11:22 AM

"The most utility I've seen from a UC is very brief early game harassment"

Harassment being the word. Try firing on a unit in cover from max range ( supposedly it's best dps profile!) with a UC. You still have to micro it to prevent a faust etc... Even against weak squads you'd be lucky to kill a couple of models before the end of the millennium.
6 Mar 2016, 11:25 AM

The unupgraded UC is already in a very good spot right now, and it's really attractive:
- Building a UC no longer delays your tech (and access to repairs)
- With the fuel you save, you could tech grenades and use UC as a grenade-launcher of sorts

The UC also has fantastic DPS at extreme-long range (the default Bren gun).

Having said that, the UC has issues when it comes to the upgrades.

Wasp upgrade (90 Munitions)
+ You gain early-game garrison clearing (most of the time that's a good investment)
- UC is too fragile for such an expensive upgrade
- UC loses access to the default Bren gun (can no longer punish kubels, loses long-range DPS)
- UC can no longer transport troops

The Wasp is a situational upgrade that's very very risky. However, it's also very much worth it in certain maps.

Vickers_k (60 Munitions + 15 Munitions per ability pop)
- The Vickers_k only deals 50% the DPS of the UC Bren gun
- Suppression is extremely unreliable and costs extra munition on top of a cost-inefficient upgrade

The Vickers_k is never EVER worth it.
You are better off saving all that munition for a weapon upgrade to an infantry squad (or 2 mines, if you are up against kubel spam). You are also losing the opportunity to transport your squad behind a defended location.
6 Mar 2016, 11:35 AM

"The unupgraded UC is already in a very good spot right now, and it's really attractive:
- With the fuel you save, you could tech grenades and use UC as a grenade-launcher of sorts

The UC also has fantastic DPS at extreme-long range (the default Bren gun)."

Another sign up for the UC challenge then Mr. Smith? Your input is always welcome. Are the people making the case for the UC going purely from stats or actual use in game?
6 Mar 2016, 11:35 AM

The UC is pretty bad.

Only 1 squadmember can fire out of it so it can't do driveby shootings.

It's starting DPS is low so a squad in cover is under no real threat.
It's also very slow on the turn which makes flanking a unit in cover hard as the squad can just walk up to you and faust you the moment you try to flank.

UKF has no repairs early on so you can only use it to push units for 1 engagement and then you need to have it sit in your base until you tech up and get repairs.

UKF has no AT units or snares so a normally timed 222 can just make a b-line for the UC and kill it with no fear of getting killed.

The unit is just bad.
6 Mar 2016, 11:42 AM

I agree it needs help, but adding a cap ability isn't the way I'd go with it.

Its problems lie largely in the lack of mobility and fragility. For example I've found it to be a bit useless as a kubel counter simply because once the kubel loses about half or 3/4 health, it just reverses away to be repaired and the UC is too slow to chase. Meanwhile the damage the UC has taken simply can't be repaired until T2. Likewise it's never going to chase a sniper.

The fragility also makes the wasp a bit pointless, especially since the UC is simply deleted by any form of AT. The first sign you get of enemy AT is your UC blowing up.

The fuel cost being dropped was welcome, but it didn't address the issues the unit has really.
6 Mar 2016, 11:43 AM

A good buff imo, would be to allow all men from the squad to fire out of the UC. or would that be too op?

Scaling? Scaling to where? 1.5 minutes into the game or 2 minutes?

kek.
6 Mar 2016, 12:08 PM

Actually. The best thing about the UC carrier is that it's (nowadays) a fuel-free unit vehicle that can push enemy units out of cover (and prevent them from firing back altogether). Having fuel-free units that can push is a very very very bad idea.

(according to my definition) When a unit scales into the late-game it implies that the unit at least retains its usefulness (Kubel) or even improves (Riflemen) as time goes by, if the player manages to keep the unit alive. Having said that, upgrades help with scaling; however having access to upgrades is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition to scalability.

Past the 5-minute mark, having a UC around doesn't help you at all (unless you go Vanguard operations for capping, or a command-vehicle UC). The Wasp variant is OK-ish, if you repeatedly need access to anti-garrison. However, most of the time, the UC has to stay idle in base, or risk dying instantly.

That's fine though. The UC is a cheap no-tech unit that is supposed to give you an early-game advantage (similar to the soviet m3a1).

Perhaps they could rework the Veterancy a bit, so that the player is actually rewarded for keeping a UC alive? (sight range buff or something. inb4 "Secure Mode")
6 Mar 2016, 12:16 PM

Would be interested to see you do the same thing in Coh2 with a UC...

Just saying...
6 Mar 2016, 12:59 PM

You know, the Half-track from the Special Weapons with the ability to drop weapons was originally a UC perk which I noticed during my fiddling with the files, just a note. But yeah having it cap without a squad already in it is just bad.
6 Mar 2016, 17:14 PM

The unupgraded UC is already in a very good spot right now, and it's really attractive:

The UC also has fantastic DPS at extreme-long range (the default Bren gun).

Having said that, the UC has issues when it comes to the upgrades.

Wasp upgrade (90 Munitions)
+ You gain early-game garrison clearing (most of the time that's a good investment)
- UC is too fragile for such an expensive upgrade
- UC loses access to the default Bren gun (can no longer punish kubels, loses long-range DPS)

The Wasp is a situational upgrade that's very very risky. However, it's also very much worth it in certain maps.

Vickers_k (60 Munitions + 15 Munitions per ability pop)
- The Vickers_k only deals 50% the DPS of the UC Bren gun
- Suppression is extremely unreliable and costs extra munition on top of a cost-inefficient upgrade

The Vickers_k is never EVER worth it.
You are better off saving all that munition for a weapon upgrade to an infantry squad (or 2 mines, if you are up against kubel spam). You are also losing the opportunity to transport your squad behind a defended location.

The vickers upgrade is an additional gun on top of the default bren
6 Mar 2016, 17:53 PM
Patrion 39

@OP I thought the UC COULD cap if it had squads in it.
This early game unit needs to be handled very cautiously in terms of balancing as it won't take much (if any) buffing to make it a 30second Feburary AEC.
6 Mar 2016, 19:03 PM

step 1: put infantry in your UC

step 2: enjoy your capping UC
6 Mar 2016, 19:10 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Random thing here but you can't transport vickers HMGs in the UC anymore. Don't know when that changed, but when UC was buffed to not cost fuel I was really creeming my pants at the possibility of bussing a vickers around early game, and then using the UC to push squads while the mg set up, etc.

It could also cap since the vickers was inside.
6 Mar 2016, 19:16 PM

Random thing here but you can't transport vickers HMGs in the UC anymore. Don't know when that changed, but when UC was buffed to not cost fuel I was really creeming my pants at the possibility of bussing a vickers around early game, and then using the UC to push squads while the mg set up, etc.

It could also cap since the vickers was inside.

I don't think you could ever transport an MG in the UC; just like all open-top transports (even though squads can't fire from inside the UC). However, you can still transport MGs inside the OST halftrack.
6 Mar 2016, 19:23 PM

Other than ferrying ammo, especially for mortars, transporting HMGs should be the UCs main role, both historically and logically...

So are you and Lemon going to take up the UC challenge Mr.Smith? :D
6 Mar 2016, 21:28 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I don't think you could ever transport an MG in the UC; just like all open-top transports (even though squads can't fire from inside the UC). However, you can still transport MGs inside the OST halftrack.

You definitely could at some point, no one noticed or tried it because the UC cost 1,000 fuel at the start of the game, and the no garrison allowed wasp was necessary even if you bothered to go UC at all,

If it wasn't in the base game, and I'm halucinating, then it was definitely in the alpha. like for sure.
6 Mar 2016, 21:48 PM

@OP I thought the UC COULD cap if it had squads in it.
This early game unit needs to be handled very cautiously in terms of balancing as it won't take much (if any) buffing to make it a 30second Feburary AEC.

It does cap when you have it loaded with Tommies/Engies
6 Mar 2016, 22:53 PM

"The unupgraded UC is already in a very good spot right now, and it's really attractive:

The UC also has fantastic DPS at extreme-long range (the default Bren gun)."

Another sign up for the UC challenge then Mr. Smith? Your input is always welcome. Are the people making the case for the UC going purely from stats or actual use in game?

this, how often do you see vet m20's and 222's compared to the UC.

UC upgrades needs some love, imo

1: wasp muni cost down to 60 (why am I paying 90 for something that dies to one pgren volly?)

2: vickers upgrade swaps suppression for AP rounds
6 Mar 2016, 23:12 PM

The vickers upgrade is an additional gun on top of the default bren

I know. That's why I only listed losing the Bren DPS for the wasp.

However, you are still giving up too much (60 munitions, transport capability -- useful for decapping mg-covered cutoffs) for way too little; DP-28 DPS? Always better to buy a Bren gun for one of your squads.
7 Mar 2016, 00:38 AM

Does the suppressive fire ability for the K upgrade even work? I've never seen it suppress anything, maybe a bit of extra damage ( not that the K seems to do more than the square root of bugger all anyway) but never suppress or pin.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★