Login

russian armor

Too much for one HMG (MG-42)

5 Mar 2016, 06:44 AM

MG-42 is definitely best MG in game. It has super-wide arc of fire, fast supression with ridiculously big AoE around of fire target, high damamge even at long ranges and more than that - ability, which can destroy even light tanks, like T-70 or Stuart!!!

Isn't it too much, specially last one? I mean, Wehrmacht may not use AT in early game at all, because Vet 1 MG-42 can counter any light vechicle, from M3 and WC51 to AEC and T-70 (which is T3 unit for 70 fuel, lol).

Meanwhile, USSR has to use Maxims with smallest arc of fire in game, which requiers 10 times more micro from player, has low AoE of supression and no AT functions. Early USSR has serious problems with AT at all, specialy with those new Sdkfz 222 and Luchses. Only early AT for USSR is ZiS-3, which can't be really effective against fast cars and AT nades, which you have to get for 25 fuel, while Wehrmacht getting more powerfull (look at stats) Panzerfaust for free. That's what I call "Balance".

So, here we pointed our problem:

1. MG-42 should not be able to destroy light vechicles and tanks, like it do now. For that, Wehrmacht should use another units, like Panzergrenadeers or same 222 cars. They all are good in that.

So, I suggest to change that "AP flame rounds" ability with something else. It is impossible to watch, how your T3 T-70 tears apart with 1-2 bursts by T0 Anti-infantry unit MG-42.

P.S Yes, we know about DShK MG with same impossible AT abilities, but it is doctrinal one, and it putted in only 2 doctrines. One of them (defences) is 100% useless and I never saw somebody using it, so we have only one real doctrine with DShK (Lend-Lease), which is definetly not enough for such requierd for USSR unit.

aaa
5 Mar 2016, 07:00 AM

Dsk has no at abilitiy. Or it doesnt work. Not much issue with mg specificaly. Whole t1 is way too cheap 80/10 = extra squad advantage.
5 Mar 2016, 07:06 AM

While I agree the MG42 is probably the best all around mg of any faction, I feel it is very well balanced by the slow rotation speed through it's arc of fire and slow setup/teardown/reload speed.

Your main objection seems to be the incendiary rounds, which require you to go through a reload animation, then have the enemy vehicle sit in its line of fire/sight long enough to get melted. Yes this can catch some of the lighter vehicles off guard but if you're losing t70s I can only suggest you flank or wait for their 30munition investment to time out.

MG42s are great when supported, but if you flank them or toss down some smoke and force a reposition it can really turn the game in your favour as Wehr relies on them pretty heavily to maintain territory.

I'd also like to address the common misconception of "free" fausts. They are an upgrade unlocked by building the T1 building. This is still cheaper than the AT nade upgrade though(80/10 vs 125/25), so maybe combining it with molotovs for the same price could even that out...
5 Mar 2016, 07:14 AM

I like vickers more than hmg42, can't say it's OP.
5 Mar 2016, 07:18 AM

While I agree the MG42 is probably the best all around mg of any faction, I feel it is very well balanced by the slow rotation speed through it's arc of fire and slow setup/teardown/reload speed.

Your main objection seems to be the incendiary rounds, which require you to go through a reload animation, then have the enemy vehicle sit in its line of fire/sight long enough to get melted. Yes this can catch some of the lighter vehicles off guard but if you're losing t70s I can only suggest you flank or wait for their 30munition investment to time out.

MG42s are great when supported, but if you flank them or toss down some smoke and force a reposition it can really turn the game in your favour as Wehr relies on them pretty heavily to maintain territory.

I'd also like to address the common misconception of "free" fausts. They are an upgrade unlocked by building the T1 building, which is the equivalent in fuel and MP as soviet AT nade unlock.

1. Slow rotation speed against no rotation speed at all for Maxim. For to rotate it should be packed again, turned and setup. Even with fast setup it reqiuers more time than just "slowly rotate".

2. Flanking or smoking of MG-42 is "great idea" from Capitan Obvious, but still, is it OK, that MG unit can fight against light tanks? It wouldn't be a problem for me, if USSR would have good early AT. But while USSR has poor AT options I feel serious butthurt. Wehrmacht has a lot of effective AT in early (schrecks, 222, MG-42, mines...) - USSR has almost nothing!. Free PTRS's for Penals from T1 would be great, because right now soviet T1 has NO AT at all!

3. And that is not "common misconception" of free faust. They can be called "free" because Wehrmacht getting BOTH Tier building and Faust paying once, while USSR should pay for Tier building AND for grenades apart. Paying once against paying twice = true understanding of nature of "free fausts".

5 Mar 2016, 08:22 AM

Why do people keep saying maxims need more micro? I NEVER Set up an maxim and just a-move them ALL game while i need to think ahead when using mg42 due slow Setup time.
Maxims needs less micro than infantry squads because you can Ignore cover, try it really just a move them around the map and dont Set them up, it's a disadvantage if you Set them up..
5 Mar 2016, 08:31 AM

Who loses all the time his light tanks versus an mg42, has other problems with this kind of game, as only the mg42. Vehicles can drive so fast behind the mg, before the Wehrmacht player can react and enable ap rounds. Even if it can hit for 1 second, it only deals 5% damage of the light tanks hitpoints. To destroy it completely, you have to sit the whole time infront of the mg and fire somewhere else.
5 Mar 2016, 08:35 AM

>Maxims
>Micro

Pick one
5 Mar 2016, 08:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2016, 08:31 AMLoxley
Who loses all the time his light tanks versus an mg42, has other problems with this kind of game, as only the mg42. Vehicles can drive so fast behind the mg, before the Wehrmacht player can react and enable ap rounds. Even if it can hit for 1 second, it only deals 5% damage of the light tanks hitpoints. To destroy it completely, you have to sit the whole time infront of the mg and fire somewhere else.

So, that is not a problem for you, that 1 T0 unit can fight effectivly against both infantry and light vechicles? For me it is too much for only 1 T0 unit.

And again, it wouldn't be a problem, if USSR could have same effective AT. But, USSR doesn't have effective AT against light tanks and vechicles in start. ZiS-3 is too slow and innacurate against light and speedy cars/tanks, grenades just slowing, but not destroy, just like mines...

MG-42 just doing 1-2 bursts and any allies light vechile going down. There is just no reason to use them at all, specially since they cost too much. Lose 70 fuel with T-70 or 60 with AEC/M15 AA platform to 1 HMG and its ability for 30 muni? No, thanks.

So much early AT of axis just making using of light vechiles by allies more dangerous for allies themselvs, than for Axis.

And Axis can spam freely cheap 222 or Luchses. USSR just can't do anything about them. Only PTRS would stop them, but PTRS is only doctrinal... while shcrecks aren't.
5 Mar 2016, 09:07 AM
Donator 22

If you loose a T70 or stuart to an MG42 you are really really bad.
Incendiary ammunition needs to be reloaded, which takes time and you can see if someone's shooting....stopped shooting and loading the the new ammunition.
Ah and btw its not like "BAM" the MG42 hits the field and is vet1. Enough time to use your M3 and WC51. Oh and for the AEC ever heard the word smoke?

Smoke and flank and of course L2P

P.S.
I dont like your suggestion.
5 Mar 2016, 09:07 AM

So, that is not a problem for you, that 1 T0 unit can fight effectivly against both infantry and light vechicles? For me it is too much for only 1 T0 unit.

And again, it wouldn't be a problem, if USSR could have same effective AT. But, USSR doesn't have effective AT against light tanks and vechicles in start. ZiS-3 is too slow and innacurate against light and speedy cars/tanks, grenades just slowing, but not destroy, just like mines...

MG-42 just doing 1-2 bursts and any allies light vechile going down. There is just no reason to use them at all, specially since they cost too much. Lose 70 fuel with T-70 or 60 with AEC/M15 AA platform to 1 HMG and its ability for 30 muni? No, thanks.

So much early AT of axis just making using of light vechiles by allies more dangerous for allies themselvs, than for Axis.

And Axis can spam freely cheap 222 or Luchses. USSR just can't do anything about them. Only PTRS would stop them, but PTRS is only doctrinal... while shcrecks aren't.

But zis gun gets free barrage ability? Thats fine that soviel at gun is a Mini Howitzer at the same time? Really soviets are the easiest to play faction atm with very good result. Hence ive beaten top 15 Player and im not that good (look at the rankings of my other factions..) im sorry but this is a l2p issue and you should see the stengths soviets got rather than Looking what ostheer has, you wont improve that way..
5 Mar 2016, 09:13 AM

While I struggle a lot against maxims when playing Ost I know very well that it is beatable. I think same goes for the Mg 42. Lots of players have showed me the weaknesses of the HMG in the games I've lost. I think it's a high risk/high reward unit cause of the micro needed for it to have the desired impact.
5 Mar 2016, 09:19 AM

No, cause it is not effectivly vs light tanks, only vs light vehicles like m3, m5 or bren carrier. M3 and bren are only effective in early game, where the mg will not have vet1 yet.

ZiS-3 is too slow and innacurate against light and speedy cars/tanks

Allies have speedy cars/tanks too, to flank the mg of doom. Waiting with a t70 infront of vet1 mg would be the same, as waiting with a Luchs infront of a Zis. Just drive behind hit.

Lose 70 fuel with T-70 or 60 with AEC/M15 AA platform to 1 HMG and its ability for 30 muni? No, thanks.

This will not happen, if you are careful. See a vet1 mg42: Hm, he could use ap rounds. Either drive behind it, or drive back, when it is in a house which is unflankable. Wait some seconds, and come again.

And Axis can spam freely cheap 222 or Luchses.

Freely...
222 are still worse vs infantry, they only live a bit longer as before last patch.
5 Mar 2016, 09:23 AM

You don't understand what im talking about. Ok, MG can be also AT gun, no problems, but... what for!? Wehr has not AT weapons in early game? They have a lot, with best infantry AT - panzerschreck! What for they need AP for MG? It is just too much.

I think not MG-42, but Maxim needs AP flame rounds, because USSR is poor in AT options. No infantry AT guns, no effective AT light vechicles in start (T-70 is T3 which is middle game).

I just can't understand, how they can give 1 more AT option for wehr, which has a lot already, when USSR living almost without AT at all!? Thats obviously unfair!
5 Mar 2016, 09:28 AM

Play Wehrmacht and show replays, where you destroy the enemy tank army with your 1 mg 42.
5 Mar 2016, 09:32 AM

You don't understand what im talking about. Ok, MG can be also AT gun, no problems, but... what for!? Wehr has not AT weapons in early game? They have a lot, with best infantry AT - panzerschreck! What for they need AP for MG? It is just too much.

I think not MG-42, but Maxim needs AP flame rounds, because USSR is poor in AT options. No infantry AT guns, no effective AT light vechicles in start (T-70 is T3 which is middle game).

I just can't understand, how they can give 1 more AT option for wehr, which has a lot already, when USSR living almost without AT at all!? Thats obviously unfair!

BUT ZIS GUN BEEING A MINI HOWITZER AT THE SAME TIME IS OK?

5 Mar 2016, 09:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2016, 09:28 AMLoxley
Play Wehrmacht and show replays, where you destroy the enemy tank army with your 1 mg 42.

So, you need entire TANK ARMY destroyed by best HMG in game for to understand how OP is it to have HMG, which is already perfect against infantry masses, but also against light vechiles.

Ain't you troll?
5 Mar 2016, 09:35 AM

Could it be that your are confusing Ostheer with OKW? Shreks for Ost are behind tier 2 with is expensive and are also an upgrade to 4 man Panzergrenadiers which are a bit fragile.

On OKW MG42 its the MG34 which is far worse.
5 Mar 2016, 09:36 AM

BUT ZIS GUN BEEING A MINI HOWITZER AT THE SAME TIME IS OK?

How often you see players, who use ZiS-3 as "mini-howitzer"? Thats really rare.

That barrage ability in 95% cases is 60 muni throwed into nothing. Too low accurant, too low damage to structures. I never had a situation, when that ability did something really good.

But I also saw a lot of allies light vechiles, insta-killed by AP flame of MG-42.
5 Mar 2016, 09:38 AM

How often you see players, who use ZiS-3 as "mini-howitzer"? Thats really rare.

That barrage ability in 95% cases is 60 muni throwed into nothing. Too low accurant, too low damage to structures. I never had a situation, when that ability did something really good.

But I also saw a lot of allies light vechiles, insta-killed by AP flame of MG-42.

im rank 130 1v1 with soviets, i use the barrage several times every game. huh what now?
im rank 300 with ostheer, how often did i use ap rounds of mg42? maybe like 4 times in my 100 ostheer games, why? because noone is stupid enough to stay in its arc combined with the reload animation of 2 seconds.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★