Login

russian armor

New Community Maps Comments

27 Feb 2016, 06:54 AM
Patrion 14

I do not play this game too much these days and the amount of game breaking bugs I have been hearing about, even with my maps in the automatch rotation (a great honour), I have no incentive to play at least until the hot fix.

But I am curious about your opinions about my maps and other new maps as well. As some of you might know, I love laying into what I consider as bad maps. Now it is only fair for my map to stand the test of vitriol shits and criticisms I have spewed since a long ago AND I also want to evaluate other maps. So..?

The New Maps are

(2) Crossroads
(2) Lost Glider
(4) Hamlet
(4) Chateau de Luvnest
(8) Hill 400

Relic's new map:

(6-8) Montargis Region

I did not put the polls because I do not think things can be that "black and white" "bad or good" yet.
nee
27 Feb 2016, 07:54 AM

Hill 400's been around for a while. Really fun as long as you have a good team (like any map). Despite the 4v4 player size, the map is really small, yet not enough to avoid being flanked due to so many ways to get around the enemy. Many times I play that map, the scenario is Stalingrad in fast-paced action. I'd say it's a mix of Steppes and Hill 331 but you shove all the players in like half the map's size. so you don't get the long walks back from base when you retreat.

Chateau de Luvnest is okay. In another thread that is critical of the design, I didn't find the mud and the houses a problem. In fact only at one point in a match I was thinking "so about that mud..." and I forgot an instant later. If there really is a design flaw in that map, removing the mud effects is probably like 90% of the solution.
27 Feb 2016, 08:11 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

27 Feb 2016, 19:56 PM

Haven't played much of it yet, but I really like the changing time/weather conditions in Hamlet.
27 Feb 2016, 20:15 PM

Chateau de Luvnest is absolute horror. I even ponder why this map even got into automatch. It's perhaps a maximum a fun custom game with high resources, but that's all it.
27 Feb 2016, 20:15 PM
Donator 11

I rly like (4) Hamlet. My playthrough felt like a better version of crossing in the woods with extra space for flanking and more areas to play with. Cover felt pretty good and overall flow made me wish this map was always in rotation.

I felt like I had a lot of freedoms given to me with flanking options. TOD changes were a welcome extra that made the map feel more alive and reminded me of old CoH1 maps. Most of those maps came with day and weather changes giving you more variety in the ascetics. Its a shame that such a cool feature is never rly included in the current map pool outside of port of hamburg.

All in all the only glaring issue I saw was its art, the yellow/red tinted loading screens and map overview made if feel less refined and a little out of place. The starting TOD and how fast it changes is also a little awkward as well but that can easily be fixed. Another issue is the use of Grass assets, the green grass he/she uses doesn't seem to get affect by the TOD and seems to always be rly rly green.

*Edit for update on annoying green grass and jarring TOD change. My opinions still stand lol

27 Feb 2016, 20:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2016, 20:15 PMMittens
I rly like (4) Hamlet. My playthrough felt like a better version of crossing in the woods with extra space for flanking and more areas to play with. Cover felt pretty good and overall flow made me wish this map was always in rotation.

I felt like I had a lot of freedoms given to me with flanking options. TOD changes were a welcome extra that made the map feel more alive and reminded me of old CoH1 maps. Most of those maps came with day and weather changes giving you more variety in the ascetics. Its a shame that such a cool feature is never rly included in the current map pool outside of port of hamburg.

All in all the only glaring issue I saw was its art, the yellow/red tinted loading screens and map overview made if feel less refined and a little out of place. The starting TOD is also a little awkward as well but gets better as it changes.

Is it tthat good?
1 Mar 2016, 04:04 AM
Patrion 14

Montargis first impression: too chokepointy.
1 Mar 2016, 04:49 AM

I love Hamlet. I like how the left is more open while the right is more closed. Good design for balance.
nee
1 Mar 2016, 05:02 AM

Montargis Region is okay but I always had a cluttered vibe when it comes to certain parts of the map. It's not so much a remake of the CoH1 map but a complete copy paste, which may mean issues with pathfinding (the southern yard area for example is a nightmare for vehicle pathfinding, despite what seems to be clearly accessible pathways).
1 Mar 2016, 07:37 AM

Hill 400 has been fun the few times I've played it. The weather on Hamlet results in some really poor visibility which can be useful/chaotic.
10 Mar 2016, 06:44 AM
Patrion 14

hill400 first few games impression: too small for 4v4.
10 Mar 2016, 06:54 AM

Montargis first impression: too chokepointy.

Large map but the focus of the map remains in a very small enclosed space, aka real bad map placement.
10 Mar 2016, 06:55 AM

Chateau de Luvnest absolutely terrible. Mud makes flanking unfeasible, there's no strategic pluses to putting it in a map. It just promotes boring, defensive play.

Plus it's a short map meaning emplacements have a bigger effect. One mortar pit can cover fuel and 2 VPs. Bofors is king here and the ground is uneven so raketens often miss.

Miserable map, needs to be removed.

Hamlet (4) is good, really like the cut-off and fuel placement. For the attacker it offers a real possibility to cut off the fuel, for the defender - you can defend it easily BUT any troops there will be very far from the main battle. Same with fuel points. Not like crossing where you can sit on VPs and fuel and cutoff really easily.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 49

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight