Login

russian armor

Can infantry be more responsive?

8 Jul 2013, 02:33 AM

I noticed this behavior since alpha.

It is one of the big reasons why 2 or 3 mortars casually shooting an area can be more effecting than MG's at supressing: your units start rolling and crawling around.

Same with tanks, and those explosions and troops scattering about helps them run over them. Lag is a second issue that does affect even more, because even if you give it a move option so they escape, the delay makes it extra frustrating.

The lag/delay is a hard thing to fix, because it doesn't necessarily have to do with gameplay, but if the devs can perhaps improve on the behavior of infantry with AOE weaponry, it would create much more streamlined gameplay.
8 Jul 2013, 02:38 AM

Dudes are still running out of cover too haha
8 Jul 2013, 03:38 AM

I dodge cocktails and frags more often than not. Micro...Micro.
8 Jul 2013, 05:35 AM

i have to agree, but it's not only about infantry, it s about the whole game which lacks responsivness. First i tried a skirmish game to avoid any kind of lag, and i remarked an average 200 ms delay betwenn the order and the action. Add the p2p factor to this and u have multiplayer games that reach 500 ms delay on average, up to 1 sec on worst case scenario. This makes sloppy games. I relaunched COH 1 and felt the difference immediately, in skirmish input lag is < 50 ms or so, and servers are more reliable, i was like "damn, if only coh 2 would be that responsive ! i feel disapointed, seriously, compare input lag of both games. Come on ! 7 years lates we are on a step back.
8 Jul 2013, 07:33 AM

Permanently Banned
Dunno. Maybe Im dodging Molotovs TOO early and its causing the models to group up and be hit by the initial hit dmg.

Can anyone verify whether a crit chance on Molotovs can cause spontaneous loss of a full health model?
8 Jul 2013, 07:48 AM

Dunno. Maybe Im dodging Molotovs TOO early and its causing the models to group up and be hit by the initial hit dmg.

Can anyone verify whether a crit chance on Molotovs can cause spontaneous loss of a full health model?

See it happen quite regularly. I don't know if the unit was just at low hp anyway and died from the damage (not the critical). Would need more testing with throwing molotovs over walls so they are used against full HP targets (because else cons might attack them on the move).

@topic: while i also think the units should react a bit faster, it is definitely possible to dodge nades every time if there is no lag and you are paying attention.

What annoys me most about units atm is the retreat mechanism.
For some reason, if you order a retreat command the unit will stand for 1-2 seconds without doing anything before retreating. Which seems to not happen if you give a move order in the retreat direction before pressing retreat (dunno if i am just imagining that).
Also units on retreat getting stuck on other units is rather stupid (balance wise, not realistically). Or units on retreat running back (even into fire) to pick up dropped weapons... just to die anyway and dropping the weapon again.
8 Jul 2013, 07:56 AM

Permanently Banned
@Nanonaps: VERY interesting point about giving a movement order in retreat direction before giving the Retreat command. Will definately have to try to experiment with this.

There was a precedent for desetupping units before retreating in DoW2 to avoid taking increased dmg from melee retreat modifiers. Unfortunately flame massacres on retreat currently though.
8 Jul 2013, 09:38 AM

The easiest way of dodging Molotovs is increasing your speech sound so you hear your units shouting grenade, everything else is pretty easy after that point.
8 Jul 2013, 09:51 AM

When I click move command on my marine in StarCraft he does it straight away :O
raw
8 Jul 2013, 10:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jul 2013, 16:18 PMBryan
I have found microing infantry a little clunky as well. Seems less responsive then you'd hope at times.

This. And the pathfinding is literally retarded, even downers would have less trouble finding their way to the target.
8 Jul 2013, 14:21 PM

The second possibility is there is lag between you and the other player. This will also result in unresponsive behavior.

"Lag" in every game seems to be a bit unlikely. I mean, you get used to this small unresponsiveness after a couple of games. But I still have like 5-10 moments in every game where I am innerly begging my unit to finally move the way I want them to. Maybe reduce the time in which you don't have control over the squad, because of close tank shells/flamers etc would already improve the feeling a lot.
8 Jul 2013, 16:29 PM

Grenade blast radius is so small you only need to move a very small distance to reduce the damage significantly.

To piggyback on this... What kind of vodka is in these bottles? I hadn't realized the russians drank Napalm! One molotov cocktail practically engulfs an entire strat point and burns for about 5 minutes.
8 Jul 2013, 16:41 PM
Benefactor 115

molotovs are made with petrol or kerosene. They are actually a Finnish invention and were called that to mock the soviet foreign minister at time or world war 2
8 Jul 2013, 18:47 PM
Patrion 27

molotovs are made with petrol or kerosene. They are actually a Finnish invention and were called that to mock the soviet foreign minister at time or world war 2

Someone got that +5% range to Molotov bulletin :P
10 Jul 2013, 07:18 AM

When I click move command on my marine in StarCraft he does it straight away :O

Yes...

And yes more so to the guy who opened up both CoH and CoH2 back to back to compare responsiveness. I am astonished that they would move backwards. How is it even feasable that they made CoH to begin with? Did they replace the all-star team with cheap interns?
10 Jul 2013, 10:15 AM

When I don't have lag my units respond right away.
10 Jul 2013, 10:24 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

i remember relic saying that we wouldnt see guys jumping out of cover anymore, how come it's still there?
10 Jul 2013, 10:28 AM

Permanently Banned
The models run around like spastics in all kinds of situations.

LMGs desetup randomly, models jump out of cover, models deliberately run through flames, die repeatedly recovering dropped support weapon and they cant even soft retreat while firing.

A "reverse" move command for infantry at half speed while firing at opponents would do wonders for micro element of this game.
11 Jul 2013, 02:11 AM

Does anyone else notice that the unit responsiveness / lag issue seems to be MUCH better with the latest patch?

Only played one game, but it was very smooth. Could be an anomaly, but if this patch helped then bravo Relic.
11 Jul 2013, 07:18 AM

Could also be that you had a better connection for that one match but I'll check it out. Would be great! :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★