Login

russian armor

British Mortar range is too damn high

17 Feb 2016, 21:27 PM

It outranges ISG guns by far, Ostheer mortars don't stand a chance and it can not be countered when placed out of your reach. The result are 2, often 4 mortars shelling the frontlines and stopping every advance towards the VPs.

The main problem is how they can be placed so far behind the frontlines that their supposed counters are not able to reach them. Despite firing on maximum range they remain very effective thanks to their numerous amounts. It's also not uncommon to cover 2 VPs with those emplacements.

Unlike their counterparts - the ISG and mortar - they can scale well into lategame since rocket artillery will hardly harm them.
17 Feb 2016, 21:29 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

They can't move. Other mortars can. This justifies the range.
17 Feb 2016, 21:32 PM

If by "far" you mean 15. 10 if the ISG hits vet 1. The ISG is also significantly smaller and mobile.

*Damn too high

The problem is called brace.
In it's current state it makes halfway supported emplacements nigh indestrucible. Paired with stand fast and a position behind a shotblocker they become a pain in the ass in team games.
17 Feb 2016, 21:47 PM

they are very easy to rekt i wish they had more range but lower brace
17 Feb 2016, 21:53 PM

mortar and leig are not counter to the mortar pit, it's the other way around. It's the UKF's only indirect, if it didn't outrange them there would be no way to counter them.
17 Feb 2016, 22:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2016, 21:29 PMTobis
They can't move. Other mortars can. This justifies the range.

And what exactly should they run from? They are doing their job by keeping the VPs clean. They are too deep in friendly territory to be attacked by infantry. They have brace in case of rocket artillery barrages and they are too far away to be countered by mortars and ISGs.

*Damn too high

There you go.
17 Feb 2016, 22:30 PM

Guys,

Please check the veterancy stats of the ISG, again:

https://www.coh2.org/guides/29892/the-company-of-heroes-2-veterancy-guide
(The vet1 ability is incorrect. It's 5% range)

At vet3, the ISG can easily outrange the mortar pit and destroy it wily nily with barrages (140 range vs 115 range).

That's right. The ISG gets a 140 range barrage at Vet3 (Pee-werfer has 160 max range, for comparison).

Before we nerf the mortar pit, can we all acknowledge that the Mortar Pit is immobile?
- If it can't outrange the other mortars it's useless (say hello to CoH1 Mortar Pit)
- Other mortars can relocate elsewhere and help in other areas of the battlefield. The Mortar Pit can't
- Other mortars can retreat, when a position becomes compromised. The mortar pit -- you get the idea...

Personally, I'm all up for a Mortar Pit range nerf though. However, the ISG range also has to be nerfed significantly so that it remains smaller than the range of the Mortar Pit.

Thanks!
17 Feb 2016, 22:42 PM

the mortar pit is the worst insult to this game's mechanics and character ever existed

i almost cried when i saw its comeback in the beta

also referring here:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/39312/about-the-comeback-of-the-mortar-pit
18 Feb 2016, 03:11 AM

I don't see how people find issues with mortar pits. Lieg's are perfectly capable of countering them and even better are pumas or roaming Volks with AT upgrade.

Every team game I am in and see multiple brits I am happy. Spam Lieg's and you will have no issues what so ever. The hit circle of the mortar pit makes almost every shot a guaranteed hit against it and if they keep loosing them at 400mp per one destroyed plus its MP upkeep you bleed them dry.

As OH always have a commander with the HT's handy and again no problems.

My biggest issue with Brits is dislodging vickers in buildings but that is my gripe about T0 MG's in general.
18 Feb 2016, 04:30 AM

L2P if i can take care of mortar emplacements so can you. Barrage with ISGs and rush in whenever possible with at least 2 shreck volks and a raketen. I usually have a single isg to barrage it then when he counter barrages i just move and barrage again then he goes into brace and i rush in and throw my infiltration grenades, incendiary nades, and shreck the shit out of it with volks and raketen. End of story. I usually just get 2 shreck volks cause its all i really need since I have a raketen. The other volks will just be anti infantry with my obers. Volks are good anti infantry at vet 5 without the shreck. They really are.

Same story with ostheer mortar and when counter barraged move and barrage until brace then rush with 1 pgren shrecks squad with pak support, mg, and grens to screen. Rinse and Repeat. End of story.

Unless he focuses really well on defending that mortar pit its not hard to find a way to kill it.
18 Feb 2016, 04:35 AM

Also sometimes when people build their mortar pits they don't really have any presence in that spot like they only have sappers thats also a pretty good time to rush in and say goodbye to the pit. But usually there is a good amount of protection presence at the spot where it is just finished building.

I do check if there is presence there though just to make sure I can or cannot rush it :P
18 Feb 2016, 04:41 AM

I dont think mortar pits are that good, but they certanly promote bad play. Its rather problem of all auto-firing indirect fire in coh: it should not be able to do so much damage and have so much wipe potential with auto-fire on its own, however barrages should be really dangerous.

Also mortar pit popcap is 8, bofors is 10, and 17pdr is 20. The hell?
18 Feb 2016, 06:16 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

It definitely ain't right how there's maps where the Mortar Pit can cover two VPs at once (Faymonville comes to mind), making the thing pretty unkillable until one can actually get tanks.
18 Feb 2016, 07:22 AM

It's like 2 mortars that can't move. Keep in mind it requies 1 squad inside to be effective, but thats 610 manpower investment, not 400. I think it's fine for it price.
18 Feb 2016, 08:12 AM

Banned
Double ISG take it down very easy..
I don't think you have to see it as a 'unit you can 't take down' but a choice of the opponent that really hurts him when it's destroyed.

Lure him into brace by ISG fire... wait for the brace to stop and double ISG it. At this moment, focus on the ISG's and cover them from left to right. Focus on the task of destroying the pit & defending the ISG's and you'll be fine.

BUT about the range - I think this is super map depending. If I play brits on Crossing in the woods, a mortar pit is such a no brainer to place behind the trees and over bot your fuel, the mid VP and the left / right VP. It's so easy.. too easy.
I know Relic won't make the range map depending, but I really think that's an issue.
18 Feb 2016, 08:32 AM

ISG ISG ISG, oh you're ostheer? Pick mortar ht.oh you dont have spearhead? Better lock yourself in a total Bad doctrine, which will lose you the game, to counter 400mp non doc unit :)

@lol at ostheer mortar countering pit, you never saw what 20+ range and 2x mortar do against 4 man ost mortar.

Just give them mobile mortar and delete this emplacements or make it doc so you need to admit to it..
18 Feb 2016, 08:44 AM

i am not a friend of calling for nerfs just because one unit is harder to counter than compareable others, so maybe instead of adjusting raw numbers it may could be an alternative to set the autotargeting to false or limit that into a range where other mortars are performing.anything behind that normal range could only be targeted manually. its just an idea. the unit itself wouldn't be touched and maybe the "build-and-your-active-participation-into-battlefieldtargeting-problems-are-gone" tactics are over.
just an idea
18 Feb 2016, 10:45 AM

L2P if i can take care of mortar emplacements so can you.
[...]
Unless he focuses really well on defending that mortar pit its not hard to find a way to kill it.

I don't know what n00bs you are exactly playing against, but a UKF player with a brain will build a mortar out of your reach.

It's not very difficult to defend a mortar pits that is standing right infront of your base.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★