Login

russian armor

British Mortar range is too damn high

18 Feb 2016, 17:43 PM

Anybody ever Pocketed a pair of campy Brits? Feels good man
nee
18 Feb 2016, 17:50 PM

IMO they should nerf the range, but have a toggle where it shoots farther but with less precision/ damage/ fire rate/ combo of three for balance.

That way if you want to be really potent you gotta build it much closer than you normally would, but if you want it to be safe, then it suffers by being less than optimally effective.
18 Feb 2016, 20:57 PM

Anyone who thinks they are fine haven't played against allied players in 2v2 that aren't idiots.

Flawless logic :kappa:
18 Feb 2016, 21:39 PM

this thread is just completely l2p im sorry to say that but i play mostly brits and i know pretty well how to use mortar pits but these sneaky axis players always know how to counter them its very annoying how they do that ?!
18 Feb 2016, 21:40 PM

Mortar pits are really annoying. In fact, all emplacements are crap to play against. These are hold overs from COH1 when Brits were designed to be played by people interesting in beating the computer on bridge maps. Now the emplacements in COH2 encourage the same sloppy behavior.

I would like to see them removed (they won't be), and am concerned at the way in which they can lock out large sections of the map with limited micro. In any case, they need some buffs and nerfs to help them at least make for interesting gameplay.
18 Feb 2016, 21:50 PM

i remember days when i was mostly USF player and hate that wermaht turtle gamestyle and u know what? PUFF brits show up and now i am turtle ! :sibHyena:
18 Feb 2016, 22:08 PM

this thread is just completely l2p im sorry to say that but i play mostly brits and i know pretty well how to use mortar pits but these sneaky axis players always know how to counter them its very annoying how they do that ?!

Nothing else expected from someone who plays axis once every 9 matches. Now, troll somewhere else.
18 Feb 2016, 23:16 PM

The most annoying thing about mortar pits is that they allow British players to completely dictate their opponent's strategy.

You got LeiGs for OKW and a doctrinal unit for Ostheer.

That's what you get to do: Build one of two units and micro intensively against a unit on autofire. This was already a problem with the 120mm mortar for Soviets and that at least you could sometimes wipe with an artillery shell. But I don't think the team that built Brits paid any attention to or were involved in any way with balancing multiplayer.

It just sucks having your gameplay dictated by your opponent. By the time an Axis player or an Axis team can actually field the proper counters and destroy a mortar pit, the British player has already bought themselves more than enough time and territory control. Mortar pits effectively delete the mid-game for Axis as they mount a proper counter.

And woe unto those that try to preemptively counter emplacements because that actually plays into British hands, since good players don't even emplacements to begin with. An Axis team trying to counter emplacements is a very counter-able force itself.

In the end, win or lose, it's just not, well, fun.
18 Feb 2016, 23:20 PM

Mortar pit not counterable?

If you are Ostheer: Blame relic. Yeah this is a hard one, only reliable counter is the doctrinal mortar halftruck which is pretty strong with its flamerounds, but the normal mortars get eaten by the pits and bofors special ability.

If you are OKW: Blame yourself. This is easy. Build a FRP with healing, place double LEIG anywhere near it and shell the mortarpits (or bofors) constantly with the barrage ability. If he goes heavy on emplacements you could even go for a triple build, remember a ISG is cheaper than a mortarpit or bofors. Replace your units after shooting the barrage, concentrate fire on one emplacemnt with multiple units. If he uses brace shell him again once it wore off and he can't use it. If you really losing a crew completely inspite of refreshing you can just recrew it, every pit destroyed on the other side is a permant lost unit. I had once a game with four brits all going emplacemnt heavy style versus 3x OKW and 1x ostheer. We won playing the ISG style in the long-term. Don't build walking stukas, it is really, really bad versus emplacements. ISG is all you ever will need.

I hate it that it comes down to this scissor-stone-paper mechanism every game.
18 Feb 2016, 23:21 PM
Patrion 14

Mortar pits are, if not exactly cancer, then at least the leprosy of CoH2. They won't kill the game on their own but they will make it a gruesome, painful and rotting experience for everyone involved and will greatly reduce the long-term appeal of the game.

BUT IT IS STATIONARY

Yes, okay, if it could shoot sturmtiger shells for free it would still be stationary, would that make it okay? If answer is "no" then we establish there is a maximum utility cost to being stationary.

Currently fighting with or against the mortar pit is an exciting game of hit point management not unlike balancing your checkbook. Thrilling defense, I microed the SHIT out of that engineer squad repairing it and then I clicked brace and then in a brilliant tactical move I continued reparing it while braced oh man. I am winrar!

Brits need nondoctrinal indirect fire, preferably mobile.

I am glad for the new sim city commander, in a Schadenfreude way. Maybe when the 3v3 and 4v4 playerbase ragequits, and slashes by half the number of concurrent players, maybe Relic will do something about making the mortar pit fun to play with and against.
18 Feb 2016, 23:29 PM

If the Brits get a mobile mortar team before USF, stock no less, I'll lose my shit. :foreveralone:
19 Feb 2016, 02:02 AM

I´m trying to hold ammo and a vp.

oh yeah some maps definitely do make it really hard to counter indirect fire. My argument still stands though. :P
19 Feb 2016, 02:40 AM

The most annoying thing about mortar pits is that they allow British players to completely dictate their opponent's strategy.

You got LeiGs for OKW and a doctrinal unit for Ostheer.

That's what you get to do: Build one of two units and micro intensively against a unit on autofire. This was already a problem with the 120mm mortar for Soviets and that at least you could sometimes wipe with an artillery shell. But I don't think the team that built Brits paid any attention to or were involved in any way with balancing multiplayer.

It just sucks having your gameplay dictated by your opponent. By the time an Axis player or an Axis team can actually field the proper counters and destroy a mortar pit, the British player has already bought themselves more than enough time and territory control. Mortar pits effectively delete the mid-game for Axis as they mount a proper counter.

And woe unto those that try to preemptively counter emplacements because that actually plays into British hands, since good players don't even emplacements to begin with. An Axis team trying to counter emplacements is a very counter-able force itself.

In the end, win or lose, it's just not, well, fun.

Excelent post, thats another issue. When game forces player to build useless units (isgs would be dead once calliope (teamgames, yeah) arrives) to counter other unit is bs.
19 Feb 2016, 08:40 AM

oh yeah some maps definitely do make it really hard to counter indirect fire. My argument still stands though. :P

you can do the same on crossing Woods for example, quite a few maps i think
19 Feb 2016, 11:25 AM

Some guy finally realizes this. As I said before, the bofos and 17 pounder is very suitable for being emplacements but not the mortars.

Simply replace the pits with common mortars and nerf the range to normal level like others. 115 is too damn high even it can't move especially for 2 mortar squard per mortar pit.
19 Feb 2016, 16:29 PM

Oh god, you've faced it too. This is complete and utter cancer.

Also check out: mortar put on moscow that placed behind the left ammo point trees can cover pretty much the entirety of the left and center. It can shoot all the way past the top cutoff.
mortar that

Anyone who thinks they are fine haven't played against allied players in 2v2 that aren't idiots.

Double mortars/LeiG followed by infantry/armored assault, any bloody flame weapon = RIP emplacement.

Flame halftrack will get it rekt too.

Oh wait, he popped brace? if you played your cards right, all this will do is buy himself a few extra seconds before dying, where he can't fire back.

If he went Mortar pit it means he sacrificed significant field presence, making him especially vulnerable to flanking. most people go head on anytime they see an emplacement and this is exactly what the Brit player wants.

You lot are boring and lack creativity, really.
19 Feb 2016, 17:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2016, 17:50 PMnee
IMO they should nerf the range, but have a toggle where it shoots farther but with less precision/ damage/ fire rate/ combo of three for balance.

That way if you want to be really potent you gotta build it much closer than you normally would, but if you want it to be safe, then it suffers by being less than optimally effective.

Like.. this is already exactly how arty works: The further you are away, the less accurate you are. The mortar pit is already not that accurate at max range.
19 Feb 2016, 17:40 PM

Double mortars/LeiG followed by infantry/armored assault, any bloody flame weapon = RIP emplacement.

What are we talking about here? When does ostheer and OKW ever have the time and resources to get 2 mortarHTs or 2 LeiGs out? Armored assault? This isn't the late game. Axis will at best be able to afford a luchs, if that. And if they get a luchs, they have no Leig or puma for the AEC.

Want me to get flamer pios? Must be great to be completely annihilated by rifles and the AEC when I spend all my resources on 2 mortar HTs and multiple pios.

Flame halftrack will get it rekt too.

Right, the thing that dies instantly to the AEC and/or stuart the allies always have. Hell, even soviet ATGs destroy it easily. And yes, the AEC will be out by then.

Oh wait, he popped brace? if you played your cards right, all this will do is buy himself a few extra seconds before dying, where he can't fire back.

Luckily for me, you can go engineers and repair while doing so. Or even better, laugh at the fact that the axis spent so many resources on trying to kill an investment that completely forced them into a specific strategy and commander. Look at the moscow screenshot the OP posted. It denies the entirety of the middle, and you're telling me I have to somehow take that out with leigs and mortarHTs, followed by an infantry push?

If he went Mortar pit it means he sacrificed significant field presence, making him especially vulnerable to flanking. most people go head on anytime they see an emplacement and this is exactly what the Brit player wants.

Irrelevant on maps like Rails, Crossing in the woods, and Moscow. We're talking 2v2s here: the US ally will always have field presence to stop you, especially considering the very short distance to the allied bases. It's the maps and specific placements that make the mortar pit so annoying to play against.

You lot are boring and lack creativity, really.

Please, show me replays of you executing these strategies against decent allied players and not some shitters in a 4v4.
19 Feb 2016, 17:46 PM

What are we talking about here? When does ostheer and OKW ever have the time and resources to get 2 mortarHTs or 2 LeiGs out? Armored assault? This isn't the late game. Axis will at best be able to afford a luchs, if that. And if they get a luchs, they have no Leig or puma for the AEC.

If you want to kill an emplacement early, quick and easy, you go for 2x LEIGS. If you can't afford 2 LEIGS against a player who spends his MP on emplacements, then you must be suffering a huge MP bleed somewhere else and emplacements will not be the reason you are losing games.
19 Feb 2016, 17:56 PM

If you want to kill an emplacement early, quick and easy, you go for 2x LEIGS. If you can't afford 2 LEIGS against a player who spends his MP on emplacements, then you must be suffering a huge MP bleed somewhere else and emplacements will not be the reason you are losing games.

almost 700MP vs a mortar pit of 400?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS