Login

russian armor

Snipers rate of fire with cover/no cover

22 Jan 2016, 19:03 PM

Someone should made a test with vet vet4 Obers inside a house vs UKF sniper.

A UKF sniper firing at vetted Obers garrisoned is house can miss.

Think all snipers have an accuracy of 200% that allow them to miss against extreme cover bonuses...
22 Jan 2016, 19:27 PM

To clarify, there's only three types of cover (Yellow, Green and Red) with exceptions buildings. Cover works in direction. In simplest terms, that is, if the enemy troops are in cover, and you can draw a visual line that goes from your troops to the enemy troops and it goes through the cover they are using, the enemy is in cover. If not, the enemy's cover position has been flanked, and the cover bonus is negated.

*Yellow Cover is knee-high obstructions, e.g. bushes, barrels, fences, and are often destructible. Holes in terrain, from explosions, are often yellow cover.

*Green Cover is best type of cover. They include large wrecks or other massive obstructions. Sandbags always provide green cover, as well as USF Tank Traps. Green cover is often the most difficult to destroy but offer the best protection.

*Red Cover is 'no cover at all', infantry will be more exposed to enemy fire.

The UKF Tommies's bonus is only applied when they are in Green or Yellow cover. Same applies for any cloaking abilities.

Building cover is treated differently, as units in buildings cannot be flanked. A set of different modifiers are applied (e.g. the building specification), but units in buildings are generally considered to be in green cover.
22 Jan 2016, 19:34 PM

To clarify, there's only three types of cover (Yellow, Green and Red) with exceptions buildings. Cover works in direction. In simplest terms, that is, if the enemy troops are in cover, and you can draw a visual line that goes from your troops to the enemy troops and it goes through the cover they are using, the enemy is in cover. If not, the enemy's cover position has been flanked, and the cover bonus is negated.

*Yellow Cover is knee-high obstructions, e.g. bushes, barrels, fences, and are often destructible. Crates, from explosions, are often yellow cover.

*Green Cover is best type of cover. They include large wrecks or other massive obstructions. Sandbags always provide green cover, as well as USF Tank Traps. Green cover is often the most difficult to destroy but offer the best protection.

The UKF Tommies's bonus is only applied when they are in Green or Yellow cover. Same applies for any cloaking abilities.

Building cover is treated differently, as units in buildings cannot be flanked. A set of different modifiers are applied (e.g. the building specification), but units in buildings are considered to be in green cover.

There not only 3 type of cover...there also "grey cover" among other things...
Red cover is not "no cover at all" (that is "gray cover" that has no multipliers) it is negative cover and increased damage and suppression for most weapons.

Units in buildings do not have the same multipliers as units in green cover...and should not be considered to be in green cover...

The whole post is also of topic...
22 Jan 2016, 19:43 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

*Yellow Cover is knee-high obstructions, e.g. bushes, barrels, fences, and are often destructible. Crates, from explosions, are often yellow cover.

Building cover is treated differently, as units in buildings cannot be flanked and are under different modifiers (e.g. the building specification)

First of all: snipers do have 2.0 accuracy ("200%"). They do have different modifiers against cover and i'm not sure about the values against retreating squads. It used to be that sniper might miss squads with high values of RA.

Regarding cover:
First of all, you are correct regarding your description about directional cover. It's good to mention that there's also multidirectional cover such as the craters. Directional cover also accounts for explosive weapons, so if you behind green cover you can survive a direct impact from a mortar shell, rocket or nade.
Finally, this is huge, non garrison cover is ignored at distances lower than 10.

Actually, there are more things as each are treat differently.
Red cover is not "not cover at all". There's actually neutral/default cover. Red cover actually debuffs your units (1.25 accuracy n damage, 1.5 suppression)
You have halftrack cover, smoke, trench, water, bunker, emplacement. Mud, snow and ice, besides debuffing movement, have no actual penalization.
22 Jan 2016, 19:49 PM

I only discussed the definition of cover for the cloaking ability for the sniper, as defined by OP.

You are right, elchino7, there are other types of modifiers which I do not mention, but I wanted to keep on topic - sniper cloak is only affected by green, and yellow cover, as I underlined. (Edit: One could argue that 'no cover', as in no cover icon affects the cloak too as there is no cloaking when not in cover). There is no extreme cover or any other special cover that effect his ability.

Additionally, one could argue for lengthly times if the English definition of "red cover is no cover at all" is correct or not. Red cover is usually in map areas where there is visually "no cover at all", e.g. roads, or large plains. It is still represented by a similar icon as cover, hence the general term red cover. I do agree, there is also a general "no cover", which means, that units are generally not in any kind of cover, but that is represented in-game by the lack of a cover icon.
22 Jan 2016, 20:09 PM

First of all: snipers do have 2.0 accuracy ("200%"). They do have different modifiers against cover and i'm not sure about the values against retreating squads. It used to be that sniper might miss squads with high values of RA.

Retreating squads get *0.4 received accuracy, and all 3 sniper squads have an additional *0.6 multiplier against retreating targets, leaving them at 2*0.6*0.4 = 0.48*whatever received accuracy the retreating squad has.

And then there's the ostheer sniper lolshot with its 1000% accuracy.
22 Jan 2016, 20:27 PM

Thanks a lot for claryfing that Cruzz!
22 Jan 2016, 20:27 PM

Slight off-topic:
Question I am unsure about: Is the bonus that units obtain when in cover, the sum/multiplication of the values defined in the cover table? Example to clarify the question:

Does an unit has its accuracy/suppression/damage multiplier modified multiplicatively by standing in deep snow, but behind green cover, whilst under a smoke? (tp_zz_deep_snow * tp_heavy * tp_smoke). Or is it merely one modifier, depending which one is applied by some kind criteria (e.g highest modifier only)?
22 Jan 2016, 20:40 PM

Slight off-topic:
Question I am unsure about: Is the bonus that units obtain when in cover, the sum/multiplication of covers?

Only the strongest cover is applied.
22 Jan 2016, 21:08 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

@JohnSmith Ok. Just to clarify, while we can say green cover is the best (as this groups from heavy cover up to garrison) it's important to note that certain bonuses only applies on heavy cover and not on green cover.
For example:
"The UKF Tommies's bonus is only applied when they are in Green or Yellow cover. Same applies for any cloaking abilities."
"but units in buildings are generally considered to be in green cover."
This is a case on which is different.
Tommies, Sappers, Commandos, Sniper gain an additional *0.9 modifier to their received accuracy while in light or heavy cover. Garrison cover is not improved, and thus trenches aren't either.

Same thing happens (or used to happen) with Osstruppen performance.

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2016, 20:09 PMCruzz

Retreating squads get *0.4 received accuracy, and all 3 sniper squads have an additional *0.6 multiplier against retreating targets, leaving them at 2*0.6*0.4 = 0.48*whatever received accuracy the retreating squad has.

And then there's the ostheer sniper lolshot with its 1000% accuracy.

And aimed shot.
22 Jan 2016, 21:23 PM

I used to term generally in my sentence "but units in buildings are generally considered to be in green cover". The adverb generally denotes "in general terms; without regard to particulars or exceptions". In most cases, generally, buildings do provide green cover. I didn't want to go into the details of various unit abilities exceptions (e.g. UKF infantry in buildings, cloak in building, etc), as at the point of writing the post, it felt OT, and I already have had a long post, hence me using that adverb.
23 Jan 2016, 02:06 AM

Quote by: Confucius
A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it is committing another mistake.

Seem like:
UKF sniper has 0.5 modifier vs garrison and can miss against any garrisoned infantry with a size smaller of 1.
SU sniper has a 0.4 modifier vs garrison and can miss against any
infantry with a size smaller of 1.25.
Os sniper has a 0.325 modifier vs garrison and can miss against any
infantry with a size smaller of 1.54.
They all have a modifier of 1 vs heavy cover and the target size of an infantry would have to be less than 0.5 to have chance of missing a shot.

23 Jan 2016, 02:13 AM

100% for UKF
80% for SU
66% for OH

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2016, 02:06 AMMyself

UKF sniper has 0.5 modifier
SU sniper has a 0.4 modifier
Os sniper has a 0.325 modifier

Great find, Myself, but elchino7 already stated that on the first page. You get his values when using the 2.0 modifier he described earlier.

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2016, 02:06 AMMyself

Quote by: Confucius
A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it is committing another mistake.

Any reasons for you to put that quote? Or are you still continuing to be passive aggressive?

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2016, 11:38 AMSwift
Why don't we stop this passive aggressive nonsense and focus on the topic.
23 Jan 2016, 02:26 AM

Permanently Banned
Surprised ost sniper is so inaccurate towards units in buildings.
23 Jan 2016, 02:28 AM

True, but similarly to most units, it trades accuracy for a higher ROF.
23 Jan 2016, 02:51 AM
23 Jan 2016, 09:20 AM

elchino7 gave what is the chance of scoring a kill, for every sniper against garrison infantry with target size 1.

If one reads what I wrote he will see that:
1) I clarified that target size affect the actual chance of scoring a kill the issue spartan3 posted on.
2)It seem that Os sniper has a modifier x accuracy = of 65 and not 66
3)I added heavy cover modifier so that people can see the differences between heavy cover and garrison when it comes to sniper play.

One should probably consider that if a moderator use the term "we" when asking for better behavior in thread that includes everyone that posted in that thread...
23 Jan 2016, 10:39 AM

Thanks for all the constructive anwsers :) Maybe it's a little bit off topic but is there some kind of spreadsheet about units stats such as unit size?
23 Jan 2016, 11:27 AM

Most support weapons target size 1.25

mainline infantry:
gren 0.91
V.G. 1
cons 1.087
riflemen 0.97
I.S. 0.8

changes via veterancy in most cases, when units get received accuracy modifiers...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★