Login

russian armor

Calliope commander every single game

PAGES (11)down
20 Jan 2016, 01:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2016, 00:54 AMpigsoup
no behind the line arty unit should be a wipe machine.

I find it laughable that Axis has multiple wipe machines and call-ins since...forever...and everyone is up in arms about ONE USF call-in that finally is on par.
20 Jan 2016, 02:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2016, 01:31 AMGhostTX

I find it laughable that Axis has multiple wipe machines and call-ins since...forever...and everyone is up in arms about ONE USF call-in that finally is on par.

90% of what OP has said in this thread can be applied to PWerfer or Walking Stuka to a lesser extent. Somehow, it's always been OK (or not worth mass hysteria on the forums) for these units to one shot Allied infantry and weapon teams, but God forbid an Ostheer player loses a Vet 3 HMG to rocket artillery. This is utterly absurd and game breaking, but Werfer wiping and suppressing Vet 3 Rifles or a vet 57 mm = no NBD.

Played a 2v2 yesterday against an OKW who built his Battlegroup, Schwerer, Pak-43, and bunker in a nice, jammed together sim city. As the barrages rained down on him and wiped everything as the game dragged on, he attempted to dive w/ Panther, hit an M20 mine, and lost it to two 57 mm.

He called us "pay 2 win d**ksuckers" and GG'd after awhile. He was top 250 OKW 2v2.

Calliope will be nerfed because the weeping and sobbing on this forum will eventually break down Relic's resolve. USF will go back to losing any game wherein Axis is able to camp and fortify a position. OKW Volk blob meta / forward retreat abuse will go back to being unpunishable by any Allied faction.

Can't wait.
20 Jan 2016, 02:19 AM

Man, the allied butthurt on this forum is hilarious. Can't even address the argument, just le axis OP le allies always up wah wah wah I'm going to ignore players that arent top 2000 like me wah wah wah le lelic caved into fan boys literally hitler.

It's pretty obvious that the pwerfer and calliope are batshit, but we can't nerf the calliope because le axis OP le allies need le crutch le plz lelic. Assuming that people wouldn't want to nerf the pwerfer while suggestin calliope nerfs is childish

20 Jan 2016, 02:22 AM

There's another thread talking about Pwerfer. This thread is called CALLIOPE COMMANDER EVERY GAME. I agree that axis can more or less weaken the enemy thats trying to kill your pwerfer. Difference is, calliope does more damage and more importantly is invincible in comparison. Last night i was playing a game where my ally had 5..... FIVE Calliopes (their should be a cap) and the enemy DID rush it with 3 panthers and a jagdtiger supporting them. They took out 2 of the retreating Calliopes and lost all three vetted panthers.

About 10 minutes later in the game I used Artillery cover :lolol: , drove past all their defenses with ONE coment tank, and took out 3 vet 3 pwerfers which i ended up chasing all the way to their base while being chased by their tanks (Comet out-drove them).

Hopefully this brings to perspective the difference between lethal+fragile Artillery platforms and lethal+Durable ones.
20 Jan 2016, 02:52 AM
Patrion 14

i had a huge problem with panzerwerfer for like 3 months. but i waited so ppl dont get too defensive.
20 Jan 2016, 03:16 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

There's another thread talking about Pwerfer. This thread is called CALLIOPE COMMANDER EVERY GAME. I agree that axis can more or less weaken the enemy thats trying to kill your pwerfer. Difference is, calliope does more damage and more importantly is invincible in comparison. Last night i was playing a game where my ally had 5..... FIVE Calliopes (their should be a cap) and the enemy DID rush it with 3 panthers and a jagdtiger supporting them. They took out 2 of the retreating Calliopes and lost all three vetted panthers.

About 10 minutes later in the game I used Artillery cover :lolol: , drove past all their defenses with ONE coment tank, and took out 3 vet 3 pwerfers which i ended up chasing all the way to their base while being chased by their tanks (Comet out-drove them).

Hopefully this brings to perspective the difference between lethal+fragile Artillery platforms and lethal+Durable ones.

Well to be fair, Artillery Cover is pretty goddamn nutso. A single Panther could probably achieve decent, if not alike, results against Calliope spam with Artillery Cover giving it the opening too.

(Not that this makes CalliOPope fine)
20 Jan 2016, 03:37 AM

Another case of the "Axis can do it but the Allies can't" Mindset.
20 Jan 2016, 03:44 AM

Permanently Banned
So much L2P, allies won ww2 so its fine, but please nerf pwerfer and buff allies more. /s
20 Jan 2016, 03:53 AM

Calliope is OP but IMO the M5, strafing run, and lmgs combined with calliope make it OP.

USF really has the widest margin between useless and good commanders, compare Tactical Support to Recon or Airborne...ololol
20 Jan 2016, 04:58 AM

Another case of the "Axis can do it but the Allies can't" Mindset.

So you support the ostheer getting frp and weapons racks? And okw getting mgs and smoke grenades, etc. How about a pwerfer / stuka with tank armour?
20 Jan 2016, 05:14 AM

IMHO, Calliope is the only viable USF armor. While it is made of the same cardboard boxes as M4, still it have better chances to SURVIVE, because it don't need to engage enemy at open area. The real problem is not OPness of the whole commander or Calliope, but the ALL other USF armor being unreliable in terms of price/survivability.
20 Jan 2016, 05:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2016, 04:58 AMRappy

So you support the ostheer getting frp and weapons racks? And okw getting mgs and smoke grenades, etc. How about a pwerfer / stuka with tank armour?

So you want all of the allies 'Goods's and none of the bads?

You want racks but still want to keep the ability for fieldwise MG-42 upgrades?
You want smoke grenades and still have rifle grenades?
You want a pwerfer with tank armor but you don't want a Main tank with paper thin armor?
Armor unreliable in terms of price/survivability but you still want your best in game Panther.

It doesn't work one way.

(Yes, tell me you want shitty Riflemen grenades, AT guns that have low pen, no sniper unit, have the pwerfer with armor be a call-in and have your armor locked behind a inf unit that first's cost is the same as said armor unit.)
20 Jan 2016, 05:27 AM

(Yes, tell me you want shitty Riflemen grenades, AT guns that have low pen, no sniper unit, have the pwerfer with armor be a call-in and have your armor locked behind a inf unit that first's cost is the same as said armor unit.)
Don't forget that EVERYTHING should be locked behind purchasable upgrades.

There are numerous replays where game ended up in USF getting rekt by panther rushes with support of KT/JT/Ele, when Jacksons with their ridiculous HP can't do anything just because they can't RUN fast enough. 8-10 zooks do their work much better in such situations.
20 Jan 2016, 06:25 AM
Patrion 28

never seen the commander (played as, with, or against).
20 Jan 2016, 07:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2016, 02:06 AMLuGer33

90% of what OP has said in this thread can be applied to PWerfer or Walking Stuka to a lesser extent.

+1
20 Jan 2016, 07:14 AM

I do think that the calliope is way too survivablr for it's lethality. Also could use a increase in scatter
20 Jan 2016, 07:17 AM

LMG terminators instasupress vehicle , good airstrike , recon and calliOP make this commader really appealing if used with stuart.

All of those abilities are good- great but together they synenergize to OpieOP.

I think lmg should be limited to one per riflemen and calli performance (and werfer) in line with katty.

Then it will be fine i think
20 Jan 2016, 07:47 AM

90% of what OP has said in this thread can be applied to PWerfer or Walking Stuka to a lesser extent.

To a much lesser extent. Pzwerfer, katy and wurframen are obviously not in the same league.

On topic, I wonder though.

There are 2 opposite problems, both disturbing for me:
1. the power of rocket arty
2. the irrelevance of arty in this game (meaning howitzers).

I am not so convinced that rocket arty needs tonning down all across the board. Ok, maybe CalliOP needs some twiching but if you nerf the other toys, I think they will become again "no see" units...

I would realy like my favourite WW2 game to field as much of the real features and feeling of WW2.
Artillery has to mean something. Rocket arty was the terror of WW2. Well, Calliope doesn't fit in to well, because, you know, it was a rather experimental weapon. There were much more king tigers than calliopes on the field if you know what I mean.

I would rather see howitzers being relevant, and a good counter to roket artillery by receiving counterbarrage option right from vet zero, and reacting quicker when the rocket mobile platform shoots.
20 Jan 2016, 08:00 AM

1 pass for 125 ammo is good airstrike

Nice joke:sibToxic:
20 Jan 2016, 08:07 AM

That may be true, but especially for the Panzerwerfer it is a different thing in my opinion (only in the case that you can call in the Calliope without any tech requirements - I really don't know if that's the case - ).

I think so because the Panzerwerfer is indeed really strong, especially in team games, but in 1v1 you won't see it unless your enemy has so much fuel that you would have lost the game either way. Ost T4 is mostly bullshit because it's just not worthwile. You spend so much fuel and MP for teching and building a Panther will still cost you 175 Fuel for every single tank, that's simply a lot.

The whole USF commander is the problem. The Calliope wouldn't be that OP if the rest of the commander sucked. But everything in this commander is pretty good. The LMG is amazing and makes the rifles the best inf on the field. How do you counter massive inf blobs? With MGs - well, at least it is supposed to work that way. So the Ost player is forced to have at least two MGs to counter the blob of doom.

But wait, you have to prepare for the rushed Stuart (or a Quad, which is also devastating)! So T2 and a Pak is needed, which is also a lot of MP, so you lack field presence. The USF player though, has about 4 Rifle squads (some with LMGs) and a captain/lieutenant until the Stuart arrives. The Ost player probably has not more than 3 grens (probably 2), 2 MGs and a Pioneer. The USF player at that time holds about 70% of the map. Then the stuart arrives and the Ost player can't do anything but to get a PaK as soon as possible because of the lack of light tanks. Meanwhile the rifle start planting mines like fucking flower pots everywhere. The USF LMG simply shreds through your troops and smoke negates the effect of your MGs/PaKs... I don't want to continue, I just want to explain the fact, why Ost suffers so much against the ultra mobile US army. Ost has NO OTHER option than PaKs to counter fast vehicles and NO OTHER options than MGs (maybe mortars but they suck a bit atm) to counter the rifle blobs.

And that is why the Calliope is so devastating. It kills the stuff Ost has to rely on with one single barrage with little to no counter play.

Meanwhile, I just go and hunt down every Calliope unchallenged with a Panther

That simply doesn't work. As Ostheer you are crushed if you don't get some Anti Inf tank as fast as possible. There are about 5-7 USF inf squads with M1919 and bazookas and smoke so your MGs are useless. Then you get a Panzer 4 and try to get that fucking Calliope, but then you remind yourself that it's not a Katjusha that dies after one shot, but a damn M4 Sherman (you probably hit a mine on your way anyway :snfPeter: ), so you have to be satisfied with hunting the inf blobs (where the P4 is pretty good at). You even might be able to get that stupid little Stuart. You position your MGs very well and you can manage to get a second PaK, but then woooooosh - another Calliope barrage and all your weapon teams are either dead or with 2 men left.

TL;DR: Ost has no other way to survive than relying on defensive units such as PaKs and MGs, which are wiped by a single Calliope barrage. USF doesn't rely on defensive and immobile units, so the Panzerwerfer is maybe a bit too strong, but no gamebreaker like the Calliope.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS