Login

russian armor

Unmirrored maps are stupid

17 Jan 2016, 19:44 PM

In a tournament situation this is mitigated by playing both sides, but in normal play or BO1 situations its utterly retarded. Even when both sides are played, an unmirrored map puts a bias on being able to play whatever the superior side is.

But on the ladder it becomes just obscene. Spawning east on ferma is a massive disadvantage that requires you to outplay your opponent by an extreme degree in order to win. While ferma is the most blatant, virtually every other map in the pool also features side imbalance. This can all be easily solved by making mirrored maps.
17 Jan 2016, 20:05 PM
Donator 11

17 Jan 2016, 21:29 PM

Company of Heroes is all about asymetrical balance, so different sides of maps should give you different possibilities.
In Coh1 maps were actually given axis/allies starting positions, some maps were only balanced if the factions spawned on the designated spawning postions. (of course automatch ignored this)
The difficulty is to balance unmirrored maps.
But the best and most entertaining maps are balanced even though they are not mirrored.
17 Jan 2016, 21:45 PM
Patrion 28

the maps don't need to be 100% symmetrical but it requires a lot of care and balancing in order to make asymmetrical maps work and i don't think relic has the time for that.

things like the cutoffs on moscow outskirts seem minor but end up having a huge effect on game play.
18 Jan 2016, 01:16 AM

I feel ecliptic fields gives a large advantage to who ever spawns on the left side.
There are plentiful tough buildings to form a defensive position and easily attack the fuel point which is in an open field with a few stacks of hay for cover.
18 Jan 2016, 06:33 AM

There should at least be some symmetrical maps in automatch, imo.
18 Jan 2016, 07:39 AM

There should at least be some symmetrical maps in automatch, imo.

Hello.

If i remember correctly, Crossing in the woods is a very good exemple of very good symetry.

Kozo.
18 Jan 2016, 07:45 AM

1. Mirror maps are dull.

2. Asymmetrical maps are more interesting.

3. I agree with you, but things won't change. It's one of the reasons why I don't think CoH2 should seriously be considered for ESL. The fact that certain factions are unnecessarily disadvantaged just because of map choice is bad for competitive gaming.
18 Jan 2016, 09:18 AM

While ferma is the most blatant.

I hate starting east on ferma as ost. :(
18 Jan 2016, 09:24 AM

Another annoying thing is that there are actually 2 different HQ building locations in 1v1 automatch since the maps are often hybrid 1v1 and 2v2 maps. If you're unlucky and get the farther location, it takes you more time to get back to the action after a retreat.
18 Jan 2016, 09:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2016, 07:39 AMKozokus

Hello.

If i remember correctly, Crossing in the woods is a very good exemple of very good symetry.

Kozo.

It is, but symmetry doesn't always mean it's balanced - actually crossing is said to be one of the best wehrmacht maps
18 Jan 2016, 09:28 AM

I don't really think that completely mirrored maps (something comparable to SCII mirroring) is going to work in a game like coh2 eventhough I think that maps should have equal amount of defensive houses and flanking routes on both sides, on some maps this is done well but on other maps theres a huge defensive advantage for example because of a well placed house
18 Jan 2016, 09:41 AM

I prefer asymetrical maps
18 Jan 2016, 09:53 AM

How can you use assymetrical balance as an argument when automatch is on random spawns
18 Jan 2016, 13:41 PM

I know that maps that are not mirrored are annoying but I think CoH2 it is best this way. This game is all about 'real' WW2 battlefields where each side had different landmarks and advantages at their disposal and commanders required great skill to strengthen their own adv and weakening the enemies ones.

18 Jan 2016, 15:54 PM

Nobody complain against asymetrical maps in CSGO, Everybody just use each side's best advantages.
How i hate Angovill and this damn wall on the south!

Kozo.
18 Jan 2016, 16:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2016, 15:54 PMKozokus
Nobody complain against asymetrical maps in CSGO, Everybody just use each side's best advantages.

Kozo.

Which is why you switch sides in CSGO.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight