Login

russian armor

L2Aim: The definitive guide to artillery in CoH2

16 Jan 2016, 09:06 AM

UPDATES:
- 5 February (Updated commandment #6; phrasing was unclear and was referencing incorrect stuff)
- 24 January (Updated commandments #4 & #5: fixed issue with overshoot offset)

Do you sometimes believe that a single (ONE!) Katyusha lacks that necessary punch to punish blobbing?

Having issues understanding why people complain about the Panzerwerfer, although its performance seems so inconsistent to you?

Do you feel that winch of injustice tingle you when people mention that Brummbars are actually quite decent vs infantry?

Would you feel discomfort if I told you that PIATs are one of the best AT guns in the game; You know that can't be true, since you cannot even hit the broadside of an OKW medtruck with them. Right?

Worry not, my friend; the mechanics of indirect fire in CoH2 are so deep and intricate that the majority of the playerbase is unable to properly grasp them. In this guide I am to demystify those concepts, and also give you some practical advice to follow.

The 6 TL;DR Commandments of Rocket Artillery

1. Scatter area does NOT look like a circle; scatter area looks like a Rainbow

2. Move your artillery CLOSER to the enemy. If you are half-way into your max shooting range, you are already good enough.

3. Avoid firing rockets into the Fog of War. For they that cry my name in vain shall be cursed with 25% scatter! ALWAYS use a spotter, you lazy nice person!

4. For most artillery, the centre of the scatter area is usually further than where you aim! You need to learn the scatter offset for your favourite weapons in order to compensate.

5. If you wish to concentrate your barrage in order to punish a particular unit (e.g., pak, sniper), then you should under-aim even further.

6. Disregard commandment #5 when you are dealing with a MEGABLOB.. Just try to aim so that you fit as many enemy units in the (real) scatter area as possible.

List of units/weapons that overshoot

(I will probably update this guide in the future with more visuals, more proofs, and hopefully with more tips that other users will have to share)

Outdated stuff:

16 Jan 2016, 09:25 AM

I hope this won't turn into Katyusha buff thread, since Katy is fine :)
Calliope and PzWerfer should be fixed around Katy's level.
16 Jan 2016, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

The W of Worry wasn't bolded so I'm still stuck at that point.

Thanks a lot, good read. MECHANIX!
16 Jan 2016, 09:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2016, 09:35 AMVuther
The W of Worry wasn't bolded so I'm still stuck at that point.

Thanks a lot, good read. MECHANIX!

Thanks. I uhm.. addressed that issue you mentioned.

Feel free to share some other advice if I have left something out!
16 Jan 2016, 09:51 AM

One picture would be enougth than thousand words.

Secod best usage of Katusha is using Caliope!
16 Jan 2016, 09:59 AM

Firing the walking stuka at infantry blobs is generely not effective, since the blobs can easily dodge by the suka by moving on.
(expections apply when said blob has no room for that/is suppresed)

Rather, aim thy stuka at thy enemies support weapons, for they shall not be fast enough to dodge.

General rule: arty is there to kill support weapons and above all esle, aim for thy enemies atg's, for that gives thy the biggest advantage for thine own armor.

If thy goes for arty, 10% faster vet is always usefull on said arty (especially katusha with that nice vet 1 ability)

Vet 2 is the que to fire at will at everything whenever thy wishes.

as thou hath said before, but to make it even more clear, never fire without sight.
An arty barrage fired without sight is an arty barrage wasted (not to mention the element of surprise for the first barrage).

On maps like minsk pocket or trois pont, he who wins the arty war, wins the game.
Prepare accordingly.

Once thou hath fired thy barrage, thou moveth the arty back to thou base on penalty of losing thou arty (if i am overdoing the thou and thy's plz tell and i shall remove them <.<)

Think thats it for the pro artry users, i got some stuff for anti arty user aswell and add something if i think of more.

16 Jan 2016, 10:41 AM

Question on sighting for arty: If you have line of sight when you call the barrage, but lose it before the barrage begins firing/part way through the barrage, what happens to the scatter?
16 Jan 2016, 10:57 AM

Question on sighting for arty: If you have line of sight when you call the barrage, but lose it before the barrage begins firing/part way through the barrage, what happens to the scatter?

I have no idea about how binary sighting for arty really is. I would also appreciate help with that same topic.

My assumption so far is that the scatter rolls for each rocket/shell happen the moment the shell is fired. I might be completely wrong about this, though.

I find using recon planes to sight Katyusha a bit shifty. This is why I always prefer more reliable means for each faction:

OKW: Kubelwagon, calling in Jaeger Infantry/Falls, Artillery Flares
OST: Pioneers, Sniper, Scout car, Spotting scopes, Stormtroopers, Ambush camouflage infantry
SU: Sniper/Mortar flares, T70 in recon mode, SU-85 spotting, m3 "clown car"
UKF: Pyrotechnic supply Tommies, Sniper
USF: Pathfinders, Stuart, m20, AT guns (take aim @ vet1)
16 Jan 2016, 11:32 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Interesting, I think you should use some images and diagrams, that would help a lot.
16 Jan 2016, 11:52 AM

Interesting, I think you should use some images and diagrams, that would help a lot.

Yes please. I don't understand anything about these rainbows and double rainbows :S

Can we use actual shapes, like diamond, oval, etc.
16 Jan 2016, 13:22 PM

Imagine 2 circle with the same center, the firing unit. The large one has as radius the target point (+) the distance it max overshoot, the small one has target (-) the the distance of max undershoot.

Now imagine angle with the same center that its value is angle scatter.

subtract from the large circle the small one, cut off what is outside the angle and what is left is the scatter area where all shot will land....
16 Jan 2016, 15:14 PM

I don't think I can understand all these about rainbows without visual aids:guyokay:
16 Jan 2016, 15:27 PM

What about heavy arty? They seem to overshoot a lot a well.
16 Jan 2016, 15:31 PM

Wow, great post, cant believe some of this stuff (reduced accuracy because firing into FoW?? counter intuitive much??).

Biased scatter?? Why the hell is that hidden behind a perfectly symmetrical firing reticule!?

Now that its typed out though i think it lines up with what ive experienced in game.

Gr8 post tho.
16 Jan 2016, 15:32 PM
Patrion 14

good read
16 Jan 2016, 15:45 PM

What about heavy arty? They seem to overshoot a lot a well.
mechanics are the same but usually the bigger the AOE the bigger the scatter...
16 Jan 2016, 15:57 PM

Hey does mortar and field gun follow the same rules? If I got sight on the target and using mortar barrage, will it be more accurate and does IR HT scan counts as giving vision?
PS: Any tips on using PIAT?
16 Jan 2016, 16:11 PM

since some people still have trouble...
16 Jan 2016, 16:14 PM

Hey does mortar and field gun follow the same rules? If I got sight on the target and using mortar barrage, will it be more accurate and does IR HT scan counts as giving vision?
PS: Any tips on using PIAT?

Field gun follow the same rules, mortar type units use different scatter values for auto attacks and barrages...
16 Jan 2016, 16:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jan 2016, 16:11 PMVipper
since some people still have trouble...

Thanks. You just beat me to it!

I have just updated the guide with 100% more pictures. Vipper's drawing perfectly visualizes the scatter area. This applies to all indirect weapons in the game.

I have also included some images which help explain HOW to best aim your Katyushas/Panzerwerfers
(Just click on the spoiler tags to reveal the images).

Please let me know if something is still unclear!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★