Login

russian armor

Has USF become a pay-to-win faction vs OKW?

7 Jan 2016, 12:24 PM

You know pay to win is defined as "buying content that is behind a pay wall to get an advantage over those who play for free". Now you can expand that to any content behind a pay wallbut then Factions like the UKF OKW and USF would be pay to win hell even the vanilla would be pay to win if you just own UKF/USF/OKW.

You can have a faction be pay to win over another faction unless it intrinsically has an I win button over that faction. You don't by buying these commanders get a great advantage over the OKW. You get weaknesses of your faction covered. This in my opinion is how it should be; Commanders should do one of thre things - give more play styles (what USF and Russian Commanders do) - give crazy levels of fire support (Brits and some Wehrmact) or finally reinforce play style (what OKW and most Wehrmact doctrines do). Now the flexibility that the USF commanders give can throw an enemy off. The inability to predict the playstyle of your opponent is what costs many players dearly hell look at Paul v Burmie R2G1 of the TPI 2 Burmie got out a WC51 and made Paul look like a total amateur. It wasn't pay to win but a good player taking advantage of the versatile play styles that USF commanders can give. The USF is a jack of all trades master of none faction their commanders help them in more ways than most other factions commanders do that's why every one thinks the USF is pay to win while OKW commanders are meh - OKW commanders let the OKW do more of the same while USF commanders actually change the strategy up.

TL;DR: USF isn't pay to win - What you're saying isn't correct by definition. USF commanders are strong because they actually change the play style up while all others merely allow more of the same.
7 Jan 2016, 12:26 PM

That Jeep is shitty, dude.

i hope you are trolling, or just new.

in 1v1 that jeep can steamroll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsQ3nuUspJY

free lesson above
7 Jan 2016, 12:28 PM

If you go LT and OKW goes mech you are at a massive disadvantage, same if you go LT and OKW goes medic you have a massive advantage. This alone can decide games.

USF teching is horribly designed.

This has nothing to do with calliope
7 Jan 2016, 16:35 PM

I am struggling as USF when fighting early Sturmpios inside cutoff buildings.

Theres nothing that helps me fight against them :(

Hell MGs in general inside buildings, unless i go fast m20 or howie, theres nothing i can do, if enemy has 2 MGs covering each other, game is over.
7 Jan 2016, 16:52 PM
Donator 11

I think if you removed the new commanders I would agree. The thing is that the damage increase to volks allows them to engage at their max range and overall do more damage. Without the m1919 USF simply cannot compete as they cant close the distance.

The shrek upgrade is something I would look at very carefully as USF doesn't have a very good way to counter the hoards of volks you experience in 2v2s and up. Using tanks with a low health pool means they die if all 4-5 shreks connect, their low armor means they always pen, and they are all expensive. The tech to major alone could drop 10 fuel and still be fine.

The main issue is their tech, its expensive and locks their support weapons behind tech they you only rly have enough fuel to go 1 in majority of games. Moving the .50 cal and the 56mm AT gun to t0 and having them unlock at tech up would be a better options.

USF also lacks a good early Anti building as the grenade has such a long timer that inf units (if microed) can simply hop out of the buildings. Solvs and OKW both have a flame nade that stops units from hoping back in these buildings. The nades cost a HEFTY 25 fuel and 30 muni, the upgrade means your "early" light armor comes even later and without a zook upgrade its hard to counter a fast luchs.

If anyone need a faction redesign it surely was more so USF rather than OKW. Relying on their riflemen to do all the heavy lifting in majority of games is simply not a good way to make the faction operate. It promotes blobbing and means that the unit has to over preform early game to make up for its late game disadvantage.
7 Jan 2016, 17:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jan 2016, 12:26 PMBurmie

free lesson above

That thing is worse than Soviet M3, dude.
7 Jan 2016, 17:59 PM

The main issue is their tech, its expensive and locks their support weapons behind tech they you only rly have enough fuel to go 1 in majority of games. Moving the .50 cal and the 56mm AT gun to t0 and having them unlock at tech up would be a better options.

USF also lacks a good early Anti building as the grenade has such a long timer that inf units (if microed) can simply hop out of the buildings. Solvs and OKW both have a flame nade that stops units from hoping back in these buildings. The nades cost a HEFTY 25 fuel and 30 muni, the upgrade means your "early" light armor comes even later and without a zook upgrade its hard to counter a fast luchs.

If anyone need a faction redesign it surely was more so USF rather than OKW. Relying on their riflemen to do all the heavy lifting in majority of games is simply not a good way to make the faction operate. It promotes blobbing and means that the unit has to over preform early game to make up for its late game disadvantage.

I also think their support weapons should be more accessible. The whole faction teching system promotes blobbing. T0 you start with rifles or REs. Teching gives you a rifle squad with bar and Thompson or zooks. If you start the with 3 rifles then once you have all support weapons unlocked you have essentially 5 baseline infantry. This bleeds mp and makes it iffy to invest more mp into support weapons as well. I think it should be easier to access support weapons as the USFs.
7 Jan 2016, 18:22 PM
Donator 11

That thing is worse than Soviet M3, dude.

Seriously? The m3 is good too, I actually think it is better to just keep it at range and use the main gun than trying to micro a clown car that can easily die.
7 Jan 2016, 18:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jan 2016, 12:26 PMBurmie

free lesson above

It has much to do with your micro skill than the unit itself. I don't have your skill, and probably lose it faster if i tried to same.
7 Jan 2016, 19:34 PM

P4 had a price increase as well which you dont mention. not surprisingly, looking at your playercard.

my suggestion is you abuse the hell out of the OKW-OPness as you describe (and with that i mean playing more than your 3 OKW 1v1 games) and when you cracked top 100 which should be a walk in the park with OKW according to you, you post again

OH LOOK HIS PLAYER CARD ISN'T VERY GOOD HE DOESN'T HAVE A VALID POINT. Dude please, get over yourself.
7 Jan 2016, 20:21 PM

OH LOOK HIS PLAYER CARD ISN'T VERY GOOD HE DOESN'T HAVE A VALID POINT. Dude please, get over yourself.

3 OKW games

3!

and your answer doesn't surprise me
you probably have 0
7 Jan 2016, 20:31 PM

I agree that the primary issue is that USF support weapons are awkward to access, making combined arms more of a gambit.
7 Jan 2016, 20:43 PM

Anybody have tips for USF vs garrisoned MG/sturmpio?
7 Jan 2016, 21:02 PM

Honestly the callie is just a good unit to use against OKW volks cheese. Easy wins with volks have been around so long it's actually not surprising that people, as regrettable as it is, who still insist volks blobing are now being counter effectively. Again with accusations of P2W I yet to see any bought commander Grant the user any over the top win rate so again I believe it's just a fallacy.
7 Jan 2016, 21:06 PM

I also think their support weapons should be more accessible. The whole faction teching system promotes blobbing. T0 you start with rifles or REs. Teching gives you a rifle squad with bar and Thompson or zooks. If you start the with 3 rifles then once you have all support weapons unlocked you have essentially 5 baseline infantry. This bleeds mp and makes it iffy to invest more mp into support weapons as well. I think it should be easier to access support weapons as the USFs.

Agreed by if you do that, I'll have to nerf éarly RM and UP USF late game.
8 Jan 2016, 20:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jan 2016, 11:33 AMGiaA
Calli in 1v1 is overrated as fuck. I would even argue that infantry company is the superior doctrine.

GTFO, you cannot even handlz the power of the CalliOP and the Pershink.
8 Jan 2016, 20:27 PM

The Pershing and Calliope are indeed two things that support USF quite well due to the lack of late-game stock units. The fact that you have to pay additional money to get them, (or lol War Spoils), does indeed undermine the enjoyable aspects of this game. The early stages of this game, pre-WFA, really showed this when Soviets were (still kind of are) crippled without a commander choice to effectively 'complete' the faction.

USF is just boring as hell. When I am playing Axis against USF I know that there's going to be a ton of rifles (or lolREs) before my opponent even has an option to change it up. A WC51 can throw me off pretty hard, but it's not like any of the non-USF factions can't adapt to it.

But unless there's a calliope or pershing commander, I can usually rely on just stalling to the endgame to win games. USF is designed to be crippled as the game progresses, which sucks because most good matches aren't steamrolls that result in a surrender at the midgame.
9 Jan 2016, 16:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jan 2016, 10:06 AMEsxile
The question is serious, every time I watch on divers channels a USF/OKW balanced match-up USF player always end up to select one of the two new commander and 50/50 manage to win the game..... The game goes to late game and you are fucked up.

I agree with Canadian in that it isn't p2w. However, it is frustrating to play USF. So many of the units are really fragile but yield great results if micro'd well. While I can sometimes micro them well enough, I can't micro my 320 hp (or 2 shrek hits) quad halftrack well AND not get wiped someplace else at the same time, with the net result being that I get rekt. It kind of feels like the only way I win is to build 4 rifles, attack their fuel or cutoff (better take it, even if just for a minute), then keep attacking. As soon as I start to play defensively, I'm just starting to lose, particularly if a game against OST goes long enough that they can get a panzerwerfer out.

The cost nerf to RE's has made it harder to try alternate builds. I get bored with starting every game by building 4 rifles, yet trying other builds this last week just caused me to lose a lot of games and tumble about 600 spots in the rankings (not that I really care that much).

Late game is really difficult. Pershings are the only good damage sponge that the USF has. The 57mm AT gun is pretty good with vet, but panzerwerfers and walking stukas wipe them way too easily and the vet 0 version is worthless late game. Having a RA penalty makes sense for machine gun crews, but is pudding against AT gun crews. It's also way too easy for tanks to hit and kill AT guns. AT guns are supposed to be the counter to tanks, but they aren't (at least the USF one, the 6pdr and PAK 40 are really good even at vet 0 and PAK 40 with TWP is probably the best) I ran a test where I A-moved a KT against a captain, RE with bazooka, and two 57mm AT guns (all vet 0). The KT wiped it all.

9 Jan 2016, 19:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2016, 16:03 PMGrumpy

I agree with Canadian in that it isn't p2w.

I know it isn't p2w from the original definition, I used it just to catch people attention because the situation is quite similar.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★