Login

russian armor

ESL no-delay obsmode password for streamers is dodgy

4 Jan 2016, 14:50 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

So with ESL Relic has ninja'd in some new features to OBSMODE that we saw for the first time yesterday. OBSMODE now supports two separate delays for observers: 1. no delay at all (if you have the ESL tourney stream password) and 2. a 15m minute delay (for everybody else). When an observer joins the game with the no-delay password, the players get a yellow text notification on the bottom left of their screen, something like "stormless has joined this game in observer mode with no delay."

I don't think anybody should ever be allowed to obs an online tourney game for money with no delay. That just opens the door for a variety of ways to cheat or for casters to mess up and stream the event with no delay. What's to stop a player from giving a friend the obs pass, having that friend change his steam name to match an ESL caster's name, join the game, and basically give any amount of info to his buddy in teamspeak? IMO this system is terribly conceived.

Now that you have the ability to do two different delays (do you?), set one of them to the minimum (8 minutes? for casters) and one of them to your 15m for everybody else.
4 Jan 2016, 22:22 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

I think it would make sense for the Referees but not for Streamers to have zero delay
4 Jan 2016, 22:32 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I think it would make sense for the Referees but not for Streamers to have zero delay

Very good point. :)
A_E
4 Jan 2016, 22:56 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

No, there have been no ninja features added, it is simply a case of delay bypass passwords, which has always been a feature, and a problem.

I have relayed these problems to Relic/ESL as I became aware of the issue keenly during chats to players yesterday.

In my opinion if they could have had time to refine how the obs system works to make it fairer, make the casts as live as possible, whilst also protecting the players from other players cheating I think it would have been good.

However as it is, I'd prefer it if the rules were what we're accustomed to, no bypass password, and a mandatory wait period for all.
A_E
4 Jan 2016, 23:58 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Looked into it further and also raised the query.

OCF had this as a possible problem Ami, players could have had a password on obs to bypass delay and given it their friends, it was not in the rules to stop it, and was part of the obs feature at the time.

OCF rules "Feel free to stream your matches during the Open Qualification Tournament. For the Main Event, we request that you do not stream, and allow our Casters to broadcast your games via ObsMode with an 8 minute delay."

So this is not an isolated issue inherent to these tournaments.

To reiterate the only way to make it work under current obs system is:

- mandatory universal delay

- no obs bypass password allowed. (explicitly stated.)
5 Jan 2016, 01:03 AM

Agree with Ami and A_E.

0 delay can be a big problem, even if the only players that have access are the two players and the casters. In an online environment there is just too much room for cheating or other fishy activity (players watching the stream PMing mine locations, tech choices and the like).

Minimum of 8 minutes even with a password in my opinion.
A_E
5 Jan 2016, 12:01 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

ESL rules update:

1. General Settings

- Starting Locations fixed
- 2 player Map Allies (1) / Axis (2); 4 player Map Allies (1,2) / Axis (3,4)

4. Observer Settings

- Observer Mode: On
- Observer Delay: 5 Minutes
- No Bypass Delayed Password

http://play.eslgaming.com/companyofheroes2/europe/coh2-tbf/major/go4coh2-europe/cup-1/rules
5 Jan 2016, 16:30 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

So "ESL caster exclusivity" is no longer a thing, huh? :P Looks like anybody can obs or cast the games now. IMO this is a great change. It's something I would have hoped they were going to allow from the start. This scene is so tiny, the more casters the merrier, official or not.
A_E
5 Jan 2016, 17:15 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

That entire conflict and side of things only ever existed for you Ami, didn't hear anyone else mention it. This is about cheating, and preventing it.
5 Jan 2016, 17:49 PM

So "ESL caster exclusivity" is no longer a thing, huh? :P Looks like anybody can obs or cast the games now. IMO this is a great change. It's something I would have hoped they were going to allow from the start. This scene is so tiny, the more casters the merrier, official or not.

I agree 100%. Caster exclusivity for anything only hurts the scene especially new comers to casting. As someone relatively new to creating shout casts I can say it's hard enough breaking into the scene without established casters getting an even stronger advantage. This is compounded with the fact that it could be used for cheating. While this will probably newer happen the fact that it could could is important.

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jan 2016, 17:15 PMA_E
That entire conflict and side of things only ever existed for you Ami, didn't hear anyone else mention it. This is about cheating, and preventing it.

I didn't mention it until now, mainly because it's not a massive issue for the majority of the community. However as I said above any exclusivity hurts the scene and prevents new casters from covering high tier games with high stakes - which let's face it - is where most of the views are. I mean - I upload a cast that's got two very unique highly meta breaking players that have a good long and tight game I as a smallish caster can get say 100 views if I'm lucky. Now I upload a tourney game and it shoots up to around 500 views easy - not to mention the amount of subs rockets with that and the cast wasn't even good. Yes the cheating aspect of having no delay was important; it could have potentially hurt top tier players if abused. However; having no delay for certain casters gave said casters a small but noticeable advantage on top of other deals those casters have is totally insane. Perhaps you disagree; perhaps you think it's a good practice to give certain casters an advantage but I can't. I dunno, perhaps it's a misunderstanding based off my ignorance but even the policy of having official and unofficial casters feels dirty to me. Ergh.
5 Jan 2016, 19:39 PM
Benefactor 115

only the chosen ones can use the ESL logos on their casts!
5 Jan 2016, 20:24 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

If somebody (un-chosen) accidentally uses the ESL logo on their cast, will they be punished? :O :jk:
A_E
6 Jan 2016, 09:16 AM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Ami and Ipkai commenting on ESL goings on:

6 Jan 2016, 12:06 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jan 2016, 09:16 AMA_E
Ami and Ipkai commenting on ESL goings on:

Do you really wanna go there, A_E?

A_E
6 Jan 2016, 12:16 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Do you really wanna go there, A_E?

Haha yeah of course!

My idea for me was:

Also I heard there was an Ami "UnstrategicZoomCast" image going around but I've yet to see it.
6 Jan 2016, 12:17 PM

please stop posting muppets on this thread.
6 Jan 2016, 13:29 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Puppets are actually the perfect analogy for this conversation. ;)
A_E
6 Jan 2016, 13:38 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

It's just a shame that some former puppeteers are upset that the puppet manufacture themselves will no longer fund their show, and are instead giving their funding to the circus who have bigger crowds and broader appeal.

Yes you're right!
6 Jan 2016, 14:07 PM
Patrion 15

Right after OCF, during some Twitch channel( I forgot whose), I saw Ami said he was going to close coh2.org and It will be a miracle to set up another OCF in future. So Isnt It great to keep the community going at some form at least? I think all content creaters should get along fine and be supportive one and other at the end isnt all this about fans and growing CoH to wider audience?
6 Jan 2016, 14:25 PM

Oh come on children, we can all play with our toy together, there's enough for everyone!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★