Login

russian armor

ESL Go4COH2 cups

PAGES (7)down
30 Dec 2015, 16:45 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

What's the point of having a tournament if you want to predetermine the final match? I hope we don't let personal bias affect how we arrange tournaments.

Nicely, that is a little like saying: don't seed a Tennis Open , or don't seed a World Cup....
30 Dec 2015, 16:55 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Tennis Opens or March Madness NCAA Basketball are good examples of seeded single-elim tourneys, but the World Cup not so much. The World Cup has an exhaustive series of preliminary matches, and then a group stage, to determine where the teams go when they reach the final spots of the 16-team single elim. TI5 was more like this... the many dota2 teams that went to Seattle played through an entire week of group stage matches, almost purely to determine the seeding of the main event.
30 Dec 2015, 17:52 PM

Post from phone.

I agree with Ami. Tourney needs to be seeded based on last weekends tourney and seeds should not reset.

Have a newbie league with no prize support for the first two or three tournaments that a player plays in if they don't want to play against the top dogs. Potentially skewing the results of a prize based tournament so that new players won't get knocked out by the best is silly... I love new players and want to do everything to help them come into the community but joining a tournament with a prize pool and expecting to not have to play against the best is naive. It'd be like me going to a local chess tourney and then whining when I play a master or grandmaster in the first round.

Seeds or bust imo.
30 Dec 2015, 18:22 PM
Benefactor 115

Deciding to reset the seeding after every month is puzzling.

Since it's a marathon style series it should be no problem to reward newer players with their dedication by awarding seeding points to everyone who takes part.

That way if a player decides to stick with the game and the Go4 series they wont be facing really good players after a few weeks.
30 Dec 2015, 18:32 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Dec 2015, 13:13 PMChexx

Starting positions should be fixed for the NA Cup, too. I already messaged the guy responsible for the NA cups.

Thanks for the reply.

But you still haven't declared the starting postions of either faction (Axis or Allies).
30 Dec 2015, 19:14 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Dec 2015, 17:44 PMtofu
There were many good games in the tourney and fortunately,I won 1st prize in NA division.

And as RedxWings says,there are sooooo loooooong waiting.I bet Vindicare didn't come last match because he took a nap or just bored of waiting.

Honestly, I couldn't tell if the tourney was over or not (we were beyond round 6 and nothing in the rules indicated that we kept playing till all players lost twice). So i decided to call it a night at 3:30 AM.
30 Dec 2015, 19:37 PM
Patrion 14

The points that I am making will become painfully clear this Sunday if we have a randomly seeded single-elim tourney. Some brackets will be much harder than others. Those brackets will have long and difficult games that will fatigue the winners, while other brackets will give an isolated top player an easy route through. The players in easy brackets will have a strong advantage in the later rounds playing against players that have struggled through the difficult brackets. You don't need to do a bunch of math to figure out the chance of this happening. It simply will happen, and you'll see what I mean this Sunday.

I'll immediately be able to tell you the tough brackets compared to the easy ones and show you how that is not fair to the players that got stuck in the tough brackets. If there are only 4 tourneys per month before the reset, then the effect will happen over and over again. Arguing in favor of a randomly seeded single-elim just boggles my mind.

If you want fairness and no seeding, then run Swiss or at least double-elim, where the tournament format itself accounts for the lack of seeds, and ensures that the best players fight one another at the end of the day.

Oh please, Ami. If you cared about players "fatigue" or their "easy route," you wouldn't do things like invite players to skip an entire qualifier weekend and go straight to main event in OCF (where they have to just win just a few games to earn some money). This style hardly seems fair to me. And as we saw with Jesulin (whose performance isn't what it once was), these invited players are not guaranteed to make it to the finals.

I get that you want spectacular matches in the later stages of the tournament to feel like the stakes are high and uncertain who will win, but you will usually get this even with random seeding (I know this from personal experience in DOW2 tournaments). In fact, it was hardly the case a low level player would make it as far as the quarter-finals given the amount of high level players vying for the win.

On the flip side, yes sometimes some people, including me, got paired up with some heavy hitters early on in the tournament; but like Yukiko said, these instances are rarer than the general trend of an even spread.

Both formats have their merits and downsides. I wouldn't call seeding of tournaments the superior format.
30 Dec 2015, 22:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Dec 2015, 18:29 PMCieZ
Congrats to Hans and Tofu for winning EU/NA.

Some really fun games to watch, some great play.

My biggest concern, probably to no surprise, is the timing issues. Spectators don't want to have to sit around for significant periods of time between matches and participants get bored as well. Having to devote upwards of 10 hours every Sunday for months on end to win $100 a week isn't worth it. Tons of players won't be able to commit to this sort of schedule and many more will get burned out after the first month.

My other concern is that this is just too many small tournaments back to back to back for our small community. I think we would be better off having a big event every few months and then a few smaller events in-between to keep things rolling. Weekly cups might work for a community like Hearthstone where the top players are going to be traveling to big events, giving other players a chance to make a name for themselves during the weekly events... but for us... I just see people getting burnt out and wanting something new - or even a break from the tournament grind - because 10+ hours per Sunday of waiting/playing week in and week out is a grind, not a competition.

+1

I simply wont be able to play these torneys because they give me nothing special in exchange for only bloddy day of relative frei I have in my week.

It looks well on papr , but it completely bore people out and repeating that waiting and then match and then stress and then playing exhausted from waiting is not something i want to do every week for only 100 dollars win.

Also It cant be all tha e-sporty when winner will win only 100 dollars.

Who will remeber winner of all cups ? Noone

But everyone will know who won OCF tourney - DevM
30 Dec 2015, 22:11 PM

I think Go4cup organisators on this site deserve some badge or something so players actually know who is competent for that torney ?

It can also be honor badge , like relic staff have.
Or something like donator in OCF

Idk , but i think they deserve something small for these 4 mouths , so players know who is responsible.
30 Dec 2015, 22:15 PM

So you'd rather the top players knock each other out in early round Best-of-1's instead of in the late rounds? You'd rather see top players crush new players in the late round Best-of-3s? I can't stress enough how important seeding is for single-elimination events. I guess if you think "random seeding is ok," then we will see the results of this approach first hand. :(

There's even more to it than that. It's about fairness. Say the randomizer puts DevM in the top half of the bracket, and puts Aimstrong, Jove, Luvnest, Jesulin, PauL & HelpingHans in the bottom half of the bracket. The latter bunch tire each other out struggling through insanely difficult early rounds, while DevM cruises through his entire bracket without even breaking a sweat. Then DevM meets say an extremely tired and exhausted Luvnest in the finals and utterly destroys him. Do you wanna see that? I don't.

Properly seeding single-elim tourneys is of utmost importance.

And also tourney should be 2 dayed.

Playing such big quantum of matches will tire players and then they dont play what they should play if they were fresh.

IDk, but for me OCF looked better organisated

Mathematical stuff from Yukiko

Alright , but your numbers were not right.

They will be minimum of 10 best player whitch should not meet in first round (just for example i can name some of them : jesulin , luvnest , jove , noggano , h.hans , paul , barton , sib , romeo , sprice , devm , Gia , momo4ko , von asten , ihitto)

And some of them will surely be there (on torney)
And f each one of them meet some other of them they will play only 1 match and this will create
a) bad wiever experience - well there can be good 3 matches luvnest vs jove , but now , there was only 1 and now i need to see at luvnest rekting some noob , why i was just not watching luvnest steam ? There at least those noobs change

b) bad competitor experience - well , it happend like happened , luvnest got USA and jove OKW , luvnest won and Jove can make comback with now his allied play , but now he is kicked while so mr.scrub will play against luvnest 3 matches . Dat Logic

c) bad monthly competitors.

Imagine that luvnest will :hansREKT: jove.
Jovee will get no points , will get matched next time against paul , he will rekt paul , paul get no point , and last week will paul rekt jesulin first match and jesulin get no points , while always some noober will get points because he made it to the quarterfinals.

So we will have in monthly cup bad competitors because ranking was broken due first broken match and at that match other matches come becuase system thougth that jove is noob because he got rekt in fisrt game.

And chance that some of these matches (good player against good player in fisrt round is)

will be really big.

if im not wrong with my math (whitch im not going to describe here , it will took some place , if somebody will want that math then tell me i can tell you my thoughts , and you can correct me if im wrong.)

The chance is horrible 51,56027 % cca

And that is more than a lot
31 Dec 2015, 13:51 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Oh please, Ami. If you cared about players "fatigue" or their "easy route," you wouldn't do things like invite players to skip an entire qualifier weekend and go straight to main event in OCF (where they have to just win just a few games to earn some money). This style hardly seems fair to me. And as we saw with Jesulin (whose performance isn't what it once was), these invited players are not guaranteed to make it to the finals.

I do indeed care about player fatigue. When we established the rules and format for OCF, there was no way we could ever guess that we would have 596 players signed-up and 276 players checked in and playing on the day. In hindsight, we should have made one more of the rounds a Best-of-1, but we resisted doing that because we know how much players dislike Best-of-1's. I'm sorry that the Open Qualifier went late, but we took all comers, and we're very proud of that.

As for the seeds, I don't know whose side you are arguing when you bring up Jesulin. He showed that his privileged "invite" spot actually meant nothing, as he finished out of the money. DevM proved that a player from the open Quali could win it all. The double-elim format insured that the Main Event pitted the best two players in the finals, and they put on a helluva show.
2 Jan 2016, 15:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Dec 2015, 18:32 PMluvnest

Thanks for the reply.

But you still haven't declared the starting postions of either faction (Axis or Allies).

Hello I'm ESL ShadowDraft currently working on CoH2.

I've looked into this and talked to HHans and something like faction spawns is not fixed. Or at least I might've not understood what you mean by this.

I guess if players feel strongly about the fixed starting positions we could include that choice in the rules.
2 Jan 2016, 15:34 PM

Hello I'm ESL ShadowDraft currently working on CoH2.

I've looked into this and talked to HHans and something like faction spawns is not fixed. Or at least I might've not understood what you mean by this.

I guess if players feel strongly about the fixed starting positions we could include that choice in the rules.

In 1v1 there are two starting positions obviously... Because of the not-mirrored map design one position is often more exposed to cut off attempts. Thus players agreed on fixed starting positions for allies/axis because in every tournament so far matches were mostly best of 3 and everybody had to play both factions.

People are used to it. I guess players could also make a gentlemens agreement before every match if the rules are still unclear when the tourny starts?!
2 Jan 2016, 15:56 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Welcome Shadowdraft. Very cool of you ESL guys to register here and answer some questions. Maybe we can fix you up w/ an ESL badge or something. :welcome:
2 Jan 2016, 16:42 PM

In 1v1 there are two starting positions obviously... Because of the not-mirrored map design one position is often more exposed to cut off attempts. Thus players agreed on fixed starting positions for allies/axis because in every tournament so far matches were mostly best of 3 and everybody had to play both factions.

People are used to it. I guess players could also make a gentlemens agreement before every match if the rules are still unclear when the tourny starts?!

I thought maps were designed with the intention of fixed positions?
2 Jan 2016, 16:45 PM

I thought maps were designed with the intention of fixed positions?

One might think so but why is it then that in automatch you have to play random locations?
2 Jan 2016, 16:53 PM

To seed or not to seed, that is the question. :foreveralone:
2 Jan 2016, 16:58 PM
Donator 11

I'll provide some perspective for the NA side.

All in all, this tournament took about 11 - 12 hours. I had 4 games, 2 no shows, and a final game I threw because it was 3 AM in the morning and didn't really care at that point. I spent about 4-5 hours playing and 6-7 hours waiting. (the no shows should account for half of this)

Unlike the EU tournament, round 4 and up were best of 3s. Not only did it make the wait times extremely long, it just wore on all the players, most of who were either playing well into the night or even through the night. Combined with the double elim, most NA players dropped at the end, like paul and vindicare did.

I really, really, REALLY hope they don't repeat this style of tournament because frankly, it is a little insane to ask players to dedicate half a day on a sunday night. If they do, I can't see myself playing another tournament.
2 Jan 2016, 17:00 PM
Donator 11

Red wings is spot on.

The NA tourney can't go for 12 hours. It starts at 4 pm est and went well past midnight. I played my fourth match at 11 pm and I think that was round 3?

The format needs to be adjusted or the start time for the NA needs to be pushed back. I would suggest starting the tourney on saturday for the opening rounds and have Sunday be the quarters on.

otherwise the finals and quaters will be all no shows. You can't expect anyone with a job to play past 10 pm sunday night est?

Other than that it was great!
2 Jan 2016, 18:04 PM

This makes a lot more sense now. I'll get back to that since my primary focus is to provide a smooth experience for the cup and not leave you guys waiting for hours.

As for the seeding question that has been basically answered by Chexx. Of course we're always open to suggestions but it will at least stay for a month.

Now for the topic that interests me the most. What's the min/max time for a single match in everyone's opinion?
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS