Login

russian armor

Time to dust off the Elefant. O, and bunkers

29 Jun 2013, 16:32 PM

After being knocked out in the tournament this weekend I decided to seriously review my Ostheer strategy.

I kept getting f00ked by long range units such as SU-85's and the ISU-152. Everytime my opponent decided to mass the SU-85 I would be in serious trouble. Even with Tigers (range 40 vs range 60 is always a bad idea) holding my own vs these units proved extremely hard.

Therefore, I decided to start using the Elefant again. A 100 range sounds to good to be true, and guess what? -> IT IS. Combined with some good bunker spam (they cost next to nothing) you can really start locking down a map. Get a Panzerwerfer or two for a quick "gg".

As an example please see this replay vs Puco. It's on Moscow Outskirts, a map where ranged units are at their best.

Try out this strategy, its a real cookiecutter!
30 Jun 2013, 09:09 AM

Could u tell me where to watch tournament vid ? Just want to see some pro players with good commentary
30 Jun 2013, 21:25 PM
Donator 11

I felt this a long time myself.. everyone says the Tiger commander is the best but I feel panther kinda has same role as the Tiger.. but no other wehrmacht unit could even hope to replace the Elefant.
30 Jun 2013, 21:38 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Could u tell me where to watch tournament vid ? Just want to see some pro players with good commentary

http://www.twitch.tv/TheFrontlineNetwork
30 Jun 2013, 23:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2013, 21:25 PMspajn
I felt this a long time myself.. everyone says the Tiger commander is the best but I feel panther kinda has same role as the Tiger.. but no other wehrmacht unit could even hope to replace the Elefant.

Exactly Spajn. Everybody is currently Tigerhorny, but it's the Elefant that really shines. Especially now that the Soviet metagame has evolved towards spamming the SU-85. The Elefant just NUKES that.
raw
1 Jul 2013, 08:26 AM

The Tiger is just a stronger panther. Elephant is the only thing that can reliably take care of SU-85s.
1 Jul 2013, 09:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2013, 08:26 AMraw
The Tiger is just a stronger panther. Elephant is the only thing that can reliably take care of SU-85s.

Even a Panther is better vs Su85's cause it has 50 range, the Tiger only has 40. That range should really be buffed before I'm going to consider the Tiger to be viable at anything really.
1 Jul 2013, 10:04 AM

People are using the Tiger commanders not because of the Tiger but because of the other abilities:
Opel Blitz + ridiculous strafe <- feels just as BS as current Soviet meta
Smoke + Mortar HT <- great doctrine!

Overall, the Elefant is an interesting unit for sure but the doctrine feels like it is lacking in early and mid game.
Once the game gets to late game it just shreds the stupid SU-85s though. The best thing is that it punishes the SU-85s by beating them with their own medicine. Very long range combined with extreme sight ranges even without support units simply shouldn't be on any one unit.
1 Jul 2013, 11:04 AM

Actually I really love the Elefant commander as a whole:

The spotting scopes and Reconnaissance Plane provide great synergy with the Elefants incredible range. Also, the reconnaissance plane can win you games on its own. Seeing exactly how the opponents defence is organized can make you do gamewinning pushes.

Then we have the Riegel AT mine. It has great synergy with the FHT: one good push with it making the opponent having to retreat back to his base and u can put one of those mines at a very nice place for his upcoming vehicles.

The Stuka is great to use vs the buttload of AT they usually try to put up vs your Elefant. The time they need to get out of the area with those will ensure theyll get hit by the bomb.
1 Jul 2013, 18:46 PM
Benefactor 115

In beta the Stuka bomb would white capped points, I haven't tested it out since retail though but thats quite a useful ability.
3 Jul 2013, 16:52 PM
3 Jul 2013, 18:14 PM

Yeah I tend to agree, I won with you and your mate with like one SU-85 (uh I forget which name I was playing under, you quit after the KV-8 roasted your shreks that were flanking and I gave them to my shock troops)...

It's just too hard to pull off shrek or tank flanks on any of these maps, except maybe Steppes. So either the Pak or the Elefant is a must right now in team games...Probably won't get to that point in 1v1, but I've seen a few replays with the Elefant.

Tiger isn't even a damage sink, it's just a dirty toilet.

4 Jul 2013, 00:45 AM

Thanks for sharing :)
4 Jul 2013, 00:51 AM

Any thoughts on the other new Elefant commander?
(Tank smoke, recon flight, hull down, command tank, elefant)
4 Jul 2013, 15:31 PM

Any thoughts on the other new Elefant commander?
(Tank smoke, recon flight, hull down, command tank, elefant)

Well Tank smoke is awesome, absolutely awesome. Hull down is crap and the command tank is good vs infantry.

The issue boils down to this: with this new commander you do not get spotting scopes anymore. Those are, of course, absolutely essential to fully exploiting the Elefants incredible range. However(!), the Elefant also has focused sight, which might compensate for not having scopes. I'm not sure if focused sight gives the same far away vision you get from the scope.

If it does: I Would pick this commander over the other one.
If it does not: Then I would pick the other one and slam the scope on the Elefant.

Edit: I was talking to Hans about this today. He considered the scouting plane you also have in the new commander enough to provide the Elefant with vision. Personally I'm not so sure about this. I've had my Elefant shoot vehicles all over the map that I wasn't even aware were there. I had never put up a scouting plane for them in those cases.
19 Jul 2013, 22:42 PM

yeah, when my p4s started getting sniped by SU-85s i stopped going them completely, i now jsut got t1/t2 no vehicles and and by time for elefant i usally am able to get 2 elefants a game
20 Jul 2013, 08:51 AM
Donator 11

In beta the Stuka bomb would white capped points, I haven't tested it out since retail though but thats quite a useful ability.

it still does! tried it yesterday :D must be the most bitter thing for the enemy, capping a point with vet3 guards, finally raising the flag and suddenly BOOM squad away and oint whitened

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2013, 15:31 PMStoffa

The issue boils down to this: with this new commander you do not get spotting scopes anymore. Those are, of course, absolutely essential to fully exploiting the Elefants incredible range. However(!), the Elefant also has focused sight, which might compensate for not having scopes. I'm not sure if focused sight gives the same far away vision you get from the scope.

focused sight increases you range slightly, however, combined with scopes it really shines,because the effectsadd to each other, which menas exponential incerasign sightrange. it can see over half of the map with this combo, maybe 120 meters. i ts INCREDIBLE!
And spotting scope only costs 30 munis, but scoutplane costs 80 and doenst give you constant view on points, so i would consider it useless.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★