Login

russian armor

Mgs and OKW

23 Dec 2015, 08:59 AM

Since this is the game play section and majority of complaints at the moment is for large team games. I want to stress to everyone please please use mgs vs okw. I hate when I'm playing allies and everyone goes inf spam vs a heavy okw team and lose the attrition war. If you use some aggressive mg use they cant do much about it until the leig comes out and its not guaranteed to dislodge you. I've been on the receiving end of this too, it helps to hold and take ground. by the time stuka hits you should have other units out. By no means am i saying mg spam, Im saying use your advantage.
23 Dec 2015, 17:21 PM

I'll restructure my statement here to a question. Why do some feel that mgs are not needed vs okw? I know the maxim sucks but it does its job well vs okw, and does little to OST. Vickers is not bad at all either.
23 Dec 2015, 17:31 PM

I played a 1v1 as Brits vs OKW on Minsk Pocket and I had three vetted Vickers and AT guns and Comets to protect from tanks but the blob still mowed down my triple Vickers without the help of any vehicles.
23 Dec 2015, 17:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2015, 17:31 PMSwift
I played a 1v1 as Brits vs OKW on Minsk Pocket and I had three vetted Vickers and AT guns and Comets to protect from tanks but the blob still mowed down my triple Vickers without the help of any vehicles.

it always seems like an enemy squad can slip away, ruining all your mgs :help:
23 Dec 2015, 17:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2015, 17:36 PMNinjaWJ

it always seems like an enemy squad can slip away, ruining all your mgs :help:

Thing is, they weren't getting around, the blob came in head and won :[
23 Dec 2015, 18:09 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'll explain it:

SU: either you spam maxims or you have great micro to constantly reposition your single/double maxim (if you started with 3 cons first). As game progress it's most than likely that they will die. You only need a crit on the gunner and a landing flaming nade in order to wipe it.

USF: unless you trust your partners on the AT department or your performance early on to be able to get Cpt before light vehicles arrive, you are just better going straight to Cpt.

UKF: MGs are a must here followed up by snipers. But if you are not a high skill player, god have mercy on your soul for playing UKF.
24 Dec 2015, 00:50 AM

I'll explain it:

SU: either you spam maxims or you have great micro to constantly reposition your single/double maxim (if you started with 3 cons first). As game progress it's most than likely that they will die. You only need a crit on the gunner and a landing flaming nade in order to wipe it.

USF: unless you trust your partners on the AT department or your performance early on to be able to get Cpt before light vehicles arrive, you are just better going straight to Cpt.

UKF: MGs are a must here followed up by snipers. But if you are not a high skill player, god have mercy on your soul for playing UKF.

Cant agree more with your UKF analysis, the amount of 2's games I've lost coz a new shit kid playing UKF and having no idea. It's such a crutch faction atm where you need to be at the top of your game and completely understand the meta and units or you lose by default, horribly designed.

Want to get artillery? You lose
Want to upgrade infantry early with 5 man and weps? You lose
Want to go for infantry based AT and get centaur/church? You lose
Don't enjoy using snipers? You lose
Don't enjoy abusing certain units to stay in the game? You lose
Want to use emplacements? You lose
24 Dec 2015, 01:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2015, 00:50 AMpugzii

Cant agree more with your UKF analysis, the amount of 2's games I've lost coz a new shit kid playing UKF and having no idea. It's such a crutch faction atm where you need to be at the top of your game and completely understand the meta and units or you lose by default, horribly designed.

+1000 Anymore I cringe when I play 2's and see myself paired with a UKF player on the loading screen my thoughts consist soles of "Please don't suck, please don't suck" *Sees them building early Mortar Pit* ... "Motherf*cker!"

On the bright side, at lease Croc is finally balanced guyz :brad:

OT Against OKW that goes heavy on infantry and launches Soviet style numbers attack you need to realize that you can't rely on HMGs to singlehandedly stop a blob like a MG42 does. You need to use the suppression to delay the blob while other units deal enough damage to force a retreat (indirect fire nearby helps a lot)
24 Dec 2015, 02:20 AM

1919s rifleblobbs mow down MGs frontal. When relic decides to implement a handicap to blobbing, that's when

A. Game will be enjoyable
B. 50% playerbase quits because they can no longer win a game
24 Dec 2015, 02:43 AM

Mgs require more micro. Which means they wont get them then they complain they can't stop OKW blobs :foreveralone: :snfPeter:
24 Dec 2015, 06:12 AM

I'll explain it:

SOviets seem to be only faction with solid tools to counter the OKW blob
24 Dec 2015, 12:26 PM

I see alot of points here. Please understand I'm speaking of larger team games here. This is a mode where people can cover gapes in your strategy design.

note: so a volks blob attacked a vikers head on right down the center and killed the vickers....I'm guessing atleast one squad came in from the side of the arc and throw a grenade and the vickers burned. Typically i see vickers suppress and other inf come in and take advantage of the suppression.
24 Dec 2015, 12:32 PM

The cone for a Maxim in a building is so good! I love the thing in buildings. It also has the most needy veterancy ability of any mg in the game. Need to get the hell out of dogde? Sure just sprint away and reposition to keep the suppression going :bananadance:
25 Dec 2015, 05:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Dec 2015, 00:50 AMpugzii

Ummmm, those are all varying ways to win as UKF. You pretty much just named a bunch of units and said you lose? Wut?
26 Dec 2015, 02:51 AM

Two points here.
1. People say MG42 is best MG in the game.What they often neglect to even consider, is the amount of set up and take down time they require. This means you must either set them up in advance or with units ahead of them which leads me to my second point.

2. Support. Some of you above mentioned that "OKW still managed to destroy my MG team frontally. This happens to ALL unsupported mgs not just allied ones. MG42s many times get mowed down by riflemen and will die before they can pack up or retreat. You will be amazed at how well your mgs perform if they can see and pin their enemies whilst firing at max range and before the enemy can even see them. A number of patches ago they buffed pios LOS IN ORDER TO HELP SPOT FOR MG 42s. Along with this was an accuracy far buff which helped a ton.

Maxims have a smaller arc of fire but they also set up almost instantly. This is SUPER useful to use in conjunction with other infantry units because you simply A move them at the enemy with your other infantry spotting for it.

Use MGs against OKW. But NOT by themselves. There is a reason it's considered a "SUPPORT" unit.

26 Dec 2015, 05:43 AM
Patrion 28

maxims are assault MGs and preform well in this role; they preform less well defensively. MG42s are defensive MGs and preform well in this role; they preform less well offensively.
27 Dec 2015, 00:18 AM

maxims are assault MGs and preform well in this role; they preform less well defensively. MG42s are defensive MGs and preform well in this role; they preform less well defensively.

MG42s are defensive MGs but perform less well as defensive MGs? Too much eggnog this holiday season haha but MG42s are great defensively and the main reason I play OST instead of OKW nowadays.
27 Dec 2015, 01:22 AM

so you suggest to use actual tactics and plans to defeat your opponent

you're wrong here in this forum m8
27 Dec 2015, 03:14 AM

so you suggest to use actual tactics and plans to defeat your opponent

you're wrong here in this forum m8

well i'm hoping the voice of reason can be heard
27 Dec 2015, 04:25 AM
Patrion 28

MG42s are defensive MGs but perform less well as defensive MGs? Too much eggnog this holiday season haha but MG42s are great defensively and the main reason I play OST instead of OKW nowadays.

i'm going to blame your eggnog for that typo. :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment