Login

russian armor

Elite Troops Stun Grenades causing terrible gameplay

15 Dec 2015, 21:32 PM
Patrion 27

Issue: Stun Grenades cancel retreats and freeze the unit for far too long with no counterplay available.

Frequency: 100% of the time

Solution: Stun grenades canceling retreat seems fine to me, but players should be able to hit retreat again to continue the retreat.

----------

Put on your nostalgia caps here... remember Soviet wire in the original Alpha when they were patches of wire that infantry had to crawl under? I remember Relic saying they were removed because they interfered with retreating units and caused feel-bad gameplay. The stun grenades are an even worse offender for this subject and I KNOW Relic isn't biased for Axis :snfQuinn:

Thanks!
15 Dec 2015, 21:37 PM

Moving is the counter play /thread
15 Dec 2015, 21:53 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2015, 21:37 PMCafo
Moving is the counter play /thread

Retreating is one of the core design aspects of this game. Stun grenades break it.
15 Dec 2015, 21:58 PM

Retreating is one of the core design aspects of this game. Stun grenades break it.

Moving out of the way of the grenade that is. If you don't you are punished.
15 Dec 2015, 22:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2015, 21:58 PMCafo

Moving out of the way of the grenade that is. If you don't you are punished.

If I'm reading what he's trying to say correctly, he means getting stunned while the squad is already retreating, therefore halting the retreat after it's started.
15 Dec 2015, 22:20 PM
Patrion 27

If I'm reading what he's trying to say correctly, he means getting stunned while the squad is already retreating, therefore halting the retreat after it's started.

Yup. You can preemptively hit retreat on a full health MG before a stun-grenade animation even begins and still get it wiped because of this nonsense.
15 Dec 2015, 22:23 PM

Yup. You can preemptively hit retreat on a full health MG before a stun-grenade animation even begins and still get it wiped because of this nonsense.

Same with a regular grenade.
1 of 6 Relic postsRelic 15 Dec 2015, 22:24 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Issue: Stun Grenades cancel retreats and freeze the unit for far too long with no counterplay available.

Frequency: 100% of the time

Solution: Stun grenades canceling retreat seems fine to me, but players should be able to hit retreat again to continue the retreat.

----------

Put on your nostalgia caps here... remember Soviet wire in the original Alpha when they were patches of wire that infantry had to crawl under? I remember Relic saying they were removed because they interfered with retreating units and caused feel-bad gameplay. The stun grenades are an even worse offender for this subject and I KNOW Relic isn't biased for Axis :snfQuinn:

Thanks!

Which units are getting locked up by the Stun grenade? Is it all Squads or just the weapon's Teams?

Thanks
15 Dec 2015, 22:26 PM
Patrion 27

Which units are getting locked up by the Stun grenade? Is it all Squads or just the weapon's Teams?

Thanks

Set up teams and infantry both suffer the stun grenade's wrath.
15 Dec 2015, 22:47 PM
Donator 33

To the guy saying just move, the OP is mentioning that if you throw the stun ON A RETREATING SQUAD it stops them. You cannot tell s retreating squad to do anything, read the OP before jumping down his throat. Big beef I have with stuns is that they do a very significant amount of damage and drop models. Double punishment for an already useful feature, the stun itself.
15 Dec 2015, 22:55 PM

They always kill my mgs when they are garrisoned on a house, i dont know if thats intended
15 Dec 2015, 22:56 PM

To the guy saying just move, the OP is mentioning that if you throw the stun ON A RETREATING SQUAD it stops them. You cannot tell s retreating squad to do anything, read the OP before jumping down his throat. Big beef I have with stuns is that they do a very significant amount of damage and drop models. Double punishment for an already useful feature, the stun itself.

IDK man not everything requires counter play, you can chase down models that are retreating , and with what counter play is there? It could be a regular grenade that wipes on retreat with what counter play?

2 squads run into eachother your one drops a model immediately, where is the counter play? Stuns might be a little op in damage best ive seen is maybe 3 models killed and a large amount of health taken away to a garrisoned maxim...
15 Dec 2015, 23:12 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2015, 22:56 PMCafo

IDK man not everything requires counter play, you can chase down models that are retreating , and with what counter play is there? It could be a regular grenade that wipes on retreat with what counter play?

2 squads run into eachother your one drops a model immediately, where is the counter play? Stuns might be a little op in damage best ive seen is maybe 3 models killed and a large amount of health taken away to a garrisoned maxim...

If you throw a normal grenade, bundle grenade whatever at a unit and the controller hits retreat, it may very well kill the unit but they will continue to pack up their setup team and retreat.

If you throw a stun grenade in the same situation EVEN IF ALREADY RETREATING the unit will stop and be locked in place for about three seconds and you are guaranteeing a wipe even if the unit was max health. It's overkill and I have a feeling you haven't actually played many matches, if any, against it.
15 Dec 2015, 23:17 PM

If you throw a normal grenade, bundle grenade whatever at a unit and the controller hits retreat, it may very well kill the unit but they will continue to pack up their setup team and retreat.

If you throw a stun grenade in the same situation EVEN IF ALREADY RETREATING the unit will stop and be locked in place for about three seconds and you are guaranteeing a wipe even if the unit was max health. It's overkill and I have a feeling you haven't actually played many matches, if any, against it.

I have but very few, the stun fades after a short time and u can do what you will, largely hasn't been a problem for me.

15 Dec 2015, 23:19 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2015, 23:17 PMCafo

I have but very few, the stun fades after a short time and u can do what you will, largely hasn't been a problem for me.

/your input in this thread :luvDerp:
15 Dec 2015, 23:19 PM

/your input in this thread :luvDerp:

I think calling this a failure of no counter play is a bit disingenuous considering you have to be hit by the grenade firstly...
15 Dec 2015, 23:25 PM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2015, 23:19 PMCafo

I think calling this a failure of no counter play is a bit disingenuous considering you have to be hit by the grenade firstly...

Counterplay is just one of Relic's buzzwords I am trying to appeal to them. Of course there is no counterplay to grenades this isn't COD.

Nothing in the game should interrupt a retreat... period. Soviet wire fields did and they were removed, crawlers used to do it and they got fixed.
15 Dec 2015, 23:27 PM

Counterplay is just one of Relic's buzzwords I am trying to appeal to them. Of course there is no counterplay to grenades this isn't COD.

Nothing in the game should interrupt a retreat... period. Crawlers used to do it and it got fixed.
I said the counterplay to grenades in my first comment ResidentSleeper.
2 of 6 Relic postsRelic 15 Dec 2015, 23:35 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Set up teams and infantry both suffer the stun grenade's wrath.

Do you have a video or a replay of the issue? I've been unable to:

Stop a Retreating Squad with a Stun Grenade
or
Stopping a Squad from Retreating after getting hit with a Stun Grenade.

Thanks
15 Dec 2015, 23:36 PM
Patrion 27

Do you have a video or a replay of the issue? I've been unable to:

Stop a Retreating Squad with a Stun Grenade
or
Stopping a Squad from Retreating after getting hit with a Stun Grenade.

Thanks

I will try and get you a replay today. Last night I played a teamgame where one of them threw stuns at every opportunity, I predicted them and hit retreat on my .50 and had it wiped because they stopped responding to commands multiple times.

I considered saving the replay but forgot. :foreveralone:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 114
unknown 8
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %