Login

russian armor

Suggested Changes to OKW "Thorough Salvage"

9 Dec 2015, 20:15 PM

I'd like to make the proposal to remove those abilities from their respective Commanders, Firestorm and Scavenge, and to replace them with others, for a number of reasons.

Let's start off with the obvious. I have no idea whether or not Relic will reverse the resource income changes to OKW again, so I have to assume it stays the way it is now. Since there is no resource penalty anymore, the abilities are not "needed" anymore, i. e. their purpose of being a situational, skill dependent compensation tool for said penalty is now void.

The other thing that bugs me is the thematical inconsistency with the Firestorm doctrine. I mean, salvaging basically is a nobrainer for the Scavenge doctrine, no discussion needed, yet it doesn't make much sense in the Firestorm doctrine. Firestorm is a doctrine that is heavily anti-infantry focused. It adds flamethrowers and a Hetzer flame tank to your arsenal, plus a delayed offmap strike for 200 munitions.

Thematically and gameplay wise, nothing in this doctrine is meant to fight enemy vehicles, so Thorough Salvage doesn't really make sense, since you should be chosing this doctrine against infantry heavy playstyles.

Therefore, because I am heavily biased in regards to OKW having an early suppression platform, because I like the MG34 and because I think there are not enough OKW doctrines featuring said HMG, I hereby suggest to switch Thorough Salvage with the HMG34 call in, at least for Firestorm.

Scavenge doctrine in itself may still be fun, but the overall theme of getting additional resources seems to be outdated now.
10 Dec 2015, 18:16 PM

Wow, guys, this really blew up!

Thanks for all your feedback and the valid points you made, I am glad I am not alone with my opinion. Now let's hope Relic notices the issue and gives those Commanders a worthy replacement for the Salvage one.
10 Dec 2015, 18:25 PM

Notice which issue? There isnt any issue.
Salvage is a great way to boost reosurces a bit and destroy crew weapons so enemy cannot use them (I mostly use it becasue of second point). I assume 50F and 150Ammo per game is nothing?
10 Dec 2015, 18:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2015, 18:16 PMQbix
Wow, guys, this really blew up!

Thanks for all your feedback and the valid points you made, I am glad I am not alone with my opinion. Now let's hope Relic notices the issue and gives those Commanders a worthy replacement for the Salvage one.

Plot twist, there were 200 replies to this thread before you logged in today, but unfortunately they were all so passionate that moderators removed every single reply :O
10 Dec 2015, 18:27 PM

If you had read the first post, your wouldn't have asked that question, so I give you another chance.

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2015, 18:26 PMHorasu

Plot twist, there were 200 replies to this thread before you logged in today, but unfortunately they were all so passionate that moderators removed every single reply :O

Ya, I assumed they were all invised. Tough luck.
10 Dec 2015, 18:28 PM

I don't think anyone was interested in replying @OP.

To be honest, they can't build caches so I don't think salvaging is a problem in any way.

[EDIT]: We don't invis a thread's worth of comments, this thread hasn't had any trouble, so why would anything be invissed?
10 Dec 2015, 18:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2015, 18:28 PMSwift
I don't think anyone was interested in replying @OP.

To be honest, they can't build caches so I don't think salvaging is a problem in any way.

[EDIT]: We don't invis a thread's worth of comments, this thread hasn't had any trouble, so why would anything be invissed?

It was a joke, friend :D
10 Dec 2015, 18:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2015, 18:31 PMHorasu

It was a joke, friend :D

I know, it was directed at the OP. I'm not that braindead... I think.
10 Dec 2015, 18:32 PM

Whatev...

And btw, why are you implying the exact opposite of what I talked about in my post? I didn't say Salvage is an issue because it feeds too many resources. I said now that the resource income is back to normal, the ability is not needed and should be replaced by something more useful. At least for Firestorm, where is doesn't make any sense anyway. :-(
10 Dec 2015, 18:41 PM

Salvage is useful for Firestorm though since you get extra Munis for Flamer SPs and Rocket Barrage. (which I assume is why they have it in that doctrine). I'm pretty positive that Thorough Salvage doesn't add extra fuel, just munitions in addition to the fuel you normally get. It also follows the same vein as Recoup Losses thematically (more resources).

Pretty much a non-issue.
10 Dec 2015, 18:48 PM

Salvage is useful for Firestorm though since you get extra Munis for Flamer SPs and Rocket Barrage.

Again, it's a purely anti-infantry doctrine. In my opinion it makes no sense to require destroying (or losing) vehicles in order to even use the Salvage ability. If the rest of the doctrine would give you a Pak43, Command Panther, AT grenades for Volks or something, yeah, salvage would make sense. But not when the doctrine gives you flame weapons. Of course it isn't a game breaking issue, I was merely trying to make the two doctrines mentioned more useful and appealing by replacing an unnecessary and in the case of Firestorm unfitting ability with a more useful one, like the HMG34.

Maybe I should open a Firestorm discussion thread instead, since there are more issues with it.
10 Dec 2015, 19:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Dec 2015, 18:48 PMQbix

Again, it's a purely anti-infantry doctrine. In my opinion it makes no sense to require destroying (or losing) vehicles in order to even use the Salvage ability. If the rest of the doctrine would give you a Pak43, Command Panther, AT grenades for Volks or something, yeah, salvage would make sense. But not when the doctrine gives you flame weapons. Of course it isn't a game breaking issue, I was merely trying to make the two doctrines mentioned more useful and appealing by replacing an unnecessary and in the case of Firestorm unfitting ability with a more useful one, like the HMG34.

Maybe I should open a Firestorm discussion thread instead, since there are more issues with it.

Flamethrowers and Rocket Barrage are anti-infantry and the extra munitions from Salvage let you use them more often. Ergo Salvage helps with the the anti-infantryness of the doctrine, therefore salvage makes sense.

It also makes perfect sense that you need a vehicle wreck or team weapon to Salvage- what else would you salvage then? If your argument is that the doctrine doesn't boost AT enough to warrant Salvage then you answered your question: it's a anti-infantry doctrine and shouldn't have that. IMO with 100% Munitions Shreks Volks running around OKW has more than enough AT to make Salvage worth it. Salvage Doctrine itself also doesn't have any significant AT added. In that regard it's fine.

Flame Hetzer could probably still use some love though I'll admit.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★