Login

russian armor

Emblems and names of armies

6 Dec 2015, 15:43 PM

Hi all

Maybe my question is not so important but I really thinking about it so usely... This emblems of each faction - what does it means?.. Is it emblems of armies? No... For example United States Armed Forces doesn't have that emblem (also in the game there is no word "armed" in the name of faction, strange). Same to British Armed Forces. In speaking about Wehrmacht, there is all is simple - there is not allowed to use real emblems, of course, lol. Well, Oberkommando West is very strange faction. Im not so sure is there was such faction in real life... And at last soviets...Soviet Army also doesņ't had such emblem :D So lol - in-game soviet faction has very simple name - Soviet. Idk what does it means, I think it must be Red Army.
Maybe ReElic so lazy to check real name and emblems of armies of WWII or I simple don't know.
6 Dec 2015, 17:01 PM

I think in a lot of ways, similar to not using actual Nazi insignia, that by avoiding historical accuracy, they're relieved of having to maintain it. Since it's "Soviet" and not "Red Army" they can bend reality as much as they want without being 'wrong'.
6 Dec 2015, 17:05 PM

It's a RTS like C&C: Red Alert not a historical game.

US emblem is a variation of this badge:

Description/Blazon
On a dark blue Norman shield with curved top 3 5/16 inches (8.41 cm) in height and 2 1/2 inches (6.35 cm) in width, palewise, a double handed flaming sword, 2 1/8 inches (5.40 cm) in length, hilt golden yellow, white blade, red flames, all below an arched chief 5/8 inch (1.59 cm) in depth on center line, 1/8 inch (.32 cm) from the top and sides of the shield in sky blue, the base of which is 5/8 inch (1.59 cm) on center line divided into a rainbow of five colors: red, golden orange, yellow, green, and blue in descending order.

Symbolism
The black shield, changed to dark blue when redesignated for the Headquarters U.S. Forces, European Theater in 1945, represented the darkness of oppression. The sword of liberation with rising flames represents justice by which the enemy power will be broken. Above the sword is a rainbow, emblematic of hope, containing the colors of the National Flags of the Allies. The sky blue above the rainbow represents a state of peace and tranquility to be restored to the enslaved people by the United Nations.

Background
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for the Supreme Headquarters, Allied Expeditionary Forces on 13 December 1944. It was redesignated for Headquarters, U.S. Forces, European Theater and revised to change the background color from black to dark blue on 2 August 1945. It was redesignated for the European Command on 23 June 1947. The insignia was redesignated for United States Army Europe on 7 November 1952. It was amended to include the specific shade of orange in the description on 22 July 1970. It was cancelled effective 16 July 2009. The insignia was reinstated for United States Army Europe on 7 July 2009, revoking the cancellation. The insignia was cancelled effective 17 April 2010. It was reinstated on 21 January 2011. (TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-367).
6 Dec 2015, 17:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2015, 15:43 PMSeven
Hi all

Maybe my question is not so important but I really thinking about it so usely... This emblems of each faction - what does it means?.. Is it emblems of armies? No... For example United States Armed Forces doesn't have that emblem (also in the game there is no word "armed" in the name of faction, strange). Same to British Armed Forces. In speaking about Wehrmacht, there is all is simple - there is not allowed to use real emblems, of course, lol. Well, Oberkommando West is very strange faction. Im not so sure is there was such faction in real life... And at last soviets...Soviet Army also doesņ't had such emblem :D So lol - in-game soviet faction has very simple name - Soviet. Idk what does it means, I think it must be Red Army.
Maybe ReElic so lazy to check real name and emblems of armies of WWII or I simple don't know.

6 Dec 2015, 17:50 PM

It's a RTS like C&C: Red Alert not a historical game.

US emblem is a variation of this badge:

Description/Blazon
On a dark blue Norman shield with curved top 3 5/16 inches (8.41 cm) in height and 2 1/2 inches (6.35 cm) in width, palewise, a double handed flaming sword, 2 1/8 inches (5.40 cm) in length, hilt golden yellow, white blade, red flames, all below an arched chief 5/8 inch (1.59 cm) in depth on center line, 1/8 inch (.32 cm) from the top and sides of the shield in sky blue, the base of which is 5/8 inch (1.59 cm) on center line divided into a rainbow of five colors: red, golden orange, yellow, green, and blue in descending order.

Symbolism
The black shield, changed to dark blue when redesignated for the Headquarters U.S. Forces, European Theater in 1945, represented the darkness of oppression. The sword of liberation with rising flames represents justice by which the enemy power will be broken. Above the sword is a rainbow, emblematic of hope, containing the colors of the National Flags of the Allies. The sky blue above the rainbow represents a state of peace and tranquility to be restored to the enslaved people by the United Nations.

Background
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for the Supreme Headquarters, Allied Expeditionary Forces on 13 December 1944. It was redesignated for Headquarters, U.S. Forces, European Theater and revised to change the background color from black to dark blue on 2 August 1945. It was redesignated for the European Command on 23 June 1947. The insignia was redesignated for United States Army Europe on 7 November 1952. It was amended to include the specific shade of orange in the description on 22 July 1970. It was cancelled effective 16 July 2009. The insignia was reinstated for United States Army Europe on 7 July 2009, revoking the cancellation. The insignia was cancelled effective 17 April 2010. It was reinstated on 21 January 2011. (TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-367).

Of course this game can not be 100% history accurate. LoL. But a lot of things there are close to real life. Relic showed in their game a lot of real things of WWII. So LoL I wonder why they couldn't use real emblems ;D
6 Dec 2015, 17:52 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Technically the Emblem of the Wehrmacht was the Iron cross or the "Balkenkreuz" which they painted on their tanks to identify them
6 Dec 2015, 17:56 PM

LoL, English it is not my native language and I've finished school in 2011. In my country (Latvia) Im using Latvian and Russian now. Also Im studying German right now. English is my favorite language. I hope in future I will upgrade my level of English knowledge. I will move in Western Europe and will try use English and German daily. Also, originally I'm from Ukraine but my Latvian is pretty good - I heard about it from Latvian people. And I passed exam for citizenship - it means I know this language. So, German is 4th language for me. But when I've traveled around Western Europe I saw a lot of people with very poor level of English. I think sometimes they know only their native language :D So that is my answer to your commentary :-P
6 Dec 2015, 18:01 PM

Technically the Emblem of the Wehrmacht was the Iron cross or the "Balkenkreuz" which they painted on their tanks to identify them

It must be in-game Oberkommando West emblem?.. But then what about in-game Wehrmacht emblem?..
6 Dec 2015, 18:11 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2015, 18:01 PMSeven

It must be in-game Oberkommando West emblem?.. But then what about in-game Wehrmacht emblem?..

Nono the OKW emblem is some fantasy shit. Balkenkreuz looks different. The Wehrmacht Emblem is basically an Iron Cross with some more creativity :D
6 Dec 2015, 18:20 PM

Nono the OKW emblem is some fantasy shit. Balkenkreuz looks different. The Wehrmacht Emblem is basically an Iron Cross with some more creativity :D

Oh, thank you. Now I get it. I wonder why they have changed German emblems too much when in Coh1 Balkenkreuz was much more realistic... Also Balkenkreuz it is not Nazi emblem, isn't? It's just German military emblem? I suppose I saw Balkenkreuz on the modern German tanks.
6 Dec 2015, 18:22 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2015, 17:56 PMSeven

LoL, English it is not my native language and I've finished school in 2011. In my country (Latvia) Im using Latvian and Russian now. Also Im studying German right now. English is my favorite language. I hope in future I will upgrade my level of English knowledge. I will move in Western Europe and will try use English and German daily. Also, originally I'm from Ukraine but my Latvian is pretty good - I heard about it from Latvian people. And I passed exam for citizenship - it means I know this language. So, German is 4th language for me. But when I've traveled around Western Europe I saw a lot of people with very poor level of English. I think sometimes they know only their native language :D So that is my answer to your commentary :-P

We are doing our level best to teach the Germans how to speak elementary English. Please believe me! :P :jk:
6 Dec 2015, 18:29 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2015, 18:20 PMSeven

Oh, thank you. Now I get it. I wonder why they have changed German emblems too much when in Coh1 Balkenkreuz was much more realistic... Also Balkenkreuz it is not Nazi emblem, isn't? It's just German military emblem? I suppose I saw Balkenkreuz on the modern German tanks.

The Balkenkreuz isn't a Nazi emblem it just was the sign for the military and is therefore not forbidden :) The sign of the Bundeswehr is in fact the Iron Cross ^^
6 Dec 2015, 18:40 PM

We are doing our level best to teach the Germans how to speak elementary English. Please believe me! :P :jk:

OOOOOh, yeah! I was in France and I was in different German cities. There are a lot of problems with English :D While I was in Erfurt (capital of German Federal State Turingia) - walked into small cafeteria and have tried to buy something. Young shop assistant (girl) hadn't any English knowledge. ANY - I MEAN AT ALL. LMAO. I told her "Two, I need two" and showed her it with hands. She answered "Ja, bitte, Zwei, ja?" :D
6 Dec 2015, 18:44 PM

The Balkenkreuz isn't a Nazi emblem it just was the sign for the military and is therefore not forbidden :) The sign of the Bundeswehr is in fact the Iron Cross ^^

yeah, And Bundeswehr emblem is really nice one =)
But Relic don't use das Balkenkreuz in CoH2. Maybe they don't want make any connections between real German historical emblems and Nazi forces. I could understand it. But why they do not want use real emblems of other armies in game. No one knows. :D
6 Dec 2015, 21:25 PM
Donator 11

Well OKW is the abbreviation of Ober Kommando West, which is basically German for Western High Command, Ostheer, is German for Eastern Army, and Wehrmacht is actually both armies as one whole force, the German army at that time was separated into two separate commands with a overall command(by Hitler and his staff) to make decisions, hence iirc the full German army was called Ober Kommando Der Wehrmacht, which is roughly High Command of the Army. Symbolism wise the Ostheer emblem is the iron cross, the OKW is a fancy iron cross, the Soviets is just short for Soviet Union which is what the Russians where, and their logo was a hammer and sickle with stars, so they just did their emblem that way for simplification I suppose.
6 Dec 2015, 22:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2015, 18:20 PMSeven

I wonder why they have changed German emblems too much when in Coh1 Balkenkreuz was much more realistic... Also Balkenkreuz it is not Nazi emblem, isn't? It's just German military emblem? I suppose I saw Balkenkreuz on the modern German tanks.

Cross Pattee used by crusaders in the Middle Ages. Shown version was used by the Teutonic Order.

Black Cross used by the Prussian Army since the Wars of Liberation in 1813-15 and later by the German Empire in different variants.

Balkenkreuz used by all German Armed Forces during the 3rd Reich.

National emblem of the modern German Army since 1955.

Red variants:
Insignia of the German Maritime Search and Rescue Service est. in 1865.

Insignia of the Portuguese Air Force since 1952

;)

6 Dec 2015, 22:49 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

6 Dec 2015, 23:07 PM

we need more "official" emblems in-game so far i only got 2 or was it one? and the third one i regret not donating money for the OCF because money was really tight for me at the time sad face =(
7 Dec 2015, 16:09 PM

Well OKW is the abbreviation of Ober Kommando West, which is basically German for Western High Command, Ostheer, is German for Eastern Army, and Wehrmacht is actually both armies as one whole force, the German army at that time was separated into two separate commands with a overall command(by Hitler and his staff) to make decisions, hence iirc the full German army was called Ober Kommando Der Wehrmacht, which is roughly High Command of the Army. Symbolism wise the Ostheer emblem is the iron cross, the OKW is a fancy iron cross, the Soviets is just short for Soviet Union which is what the Russians where, and their logo was a hammer and sickle with stars, so they just did their emblem that way for simplification I suppose.

I liked your description, dude =))) Well, in game Ostheer is called "Wehrmacht", but then it must be Ostheer, not whole Wehrmacht...
7 Dec 2015, 16:12 PM

Cross Pattee used by crusaders in the Middle Ages. Shown version was used by the Teutonic Order.

Black Cross used by the Prussian Army since the Wars of Liberation in 1813-15 and later by the German Empire in different variants.

Balkenkreuz used by all German Armed Forces during the 3rd Reich.

National emblem of the modern German Army since 1955.

Red variants:
Insignia of the German Maritime Search and Rescue Service est. in 1865.

Insignia of the Portuguese Air Force since 1952

;)

Really nice post!!! :thumbsup:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment