Login

russian armor

Will the Calliope have acess to its main gun?

22 Nov 2015, 07:51 AM

PointIng out the obvious but a tank is more durable and doenst die to the slightest windblow like katy/panzerwerfer

Still doesn't justify using a tank as a rocket vehicle. Mr.Someguy's idea is good. And panzerwerfer is quite durable.
22 Nov 2015, 10:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Nov 2015, 07:51 AMRMMLz

Still doesn't justify using a tank as a rocket vehicle. Mr.Someguy's idea is good. And panzerwerfer is quite durable.

panzerwerfer dies to one pak shoot or one t34-85 shoot. wouldnt call that durable at all.
22 Nov 2015, 10:53 AM

In vCoH Calliope was one of ym favourite weapons.

It had very low damage pr. rocket, and large scatter - but many rockets. When the target was close, it wouldbe very concentrated.

On long range it would soften up blobs, and do no harm to tanks/vechiles.

Close up, it was very potent. The low damage didnt matter, because it had high penetration - Thus a close up strike could tear a tank apart.

A very nice weapon back then.
22 Nov 2015, 11:12 AM

panzerwerfer dies to one pak shoot or one t34-85 shoot. wouldnt call that durable at all.

Well at least it can resist small arms unlike Katy or Ambulance.
22 Nov 2015, 11:19 AM

Well at least it can resist small arms unlike Katy or Ambulance.

but honestly when do you let your panzerwerfer or katy die to small arm fire? i never saw that and prob will never see that
22 Nov 2015, 12:46 PM

but honestly when do you let your panzerwerfer or katy die to small arm fire? i never saw that and prob will never see that

FJs, have seen and have done it myself many times. Especially in 2s which a player makes 2 Ktays, kill one with Faust and the other with small arms. Compared to Katy, Pzwerfer is quite durable I would say.
22 Nov 2015, 12:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Nov 2015, 12:46 PMRMMLz

FJs, have seen and have done it myself many times. Especially in 2s which a player makes 2 Ktays, kill one with Faust and the other with small arms. Compared to Katy, Pzwerfer is quite durable I would say.

oh wow that works? like i said i never saw that and thought it would not be possible to take down katys in a reasonable time (driving away, reinforcements arrive since katys are close to base 90% of time) should be fixed then, small arms should not be able to burst down katys so fast
22 Nov 2015, 13:06 PM

oh wow that works? like i said i never saw that and thought it would not be possible to take down katys in a reasonable time (driving away, reinforcements arrive since katys are close to base 90% of time) should be fixed then, small arms should not be able to burst down katys so fast

I think it's intentional, they have very low armor for a reason. People should always Shift-Move to base after they issue a barrage order. But I too think that FJs should not kill it that fast. If you spawn a squad near a katy in maps like Rails and Metal (in which they should move far out of base to be effective) they can chase and kill it with their FG42s.
22 Nov 2015, 13:21 PM

I loved the sound of the calliope rockets hitting the ground in CoH1. I hope they are similar in the new commander.
22 Nov 2015, 13:22 PM

Don't forget Pz Werfer runs much faster and 50% of german commander give it smoke. Katy can not even out run Tiger.
22 Nov 2015, 13:33 PM

Don't forget Pz Werfer runs much faster and 50% of german commander give it smoke. Katy can not even out run Tiger.

i always have a hard time taking a post seriouslee with such exaggerating content (50% have smoke, just lol) makes you look like a fool tbh
22 Nov 2015, 14:12 PM

i always have a hard time taking a post seriouslee with such exaggerating content (50% have smoke, just lol) makes you look like a fool tbh

I meant 50% of most used commander: OH commander got picked usually contained: smoke, G43, Tiger, Strafe, Osttruppen, Command Tank and Elephant. Try finding any commanders that does not have these abilities get used. Try finding anyone playing automatch without at least 1 commander with smoke in the roster.
22 Nov 2015, 14:13 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The difference is the barrage times. You can shift command PW to barrage and go back to base inmediatly. A Kat will be vulnerable for some time.

Ontopic: been able to use it's maingun is just a question of unit cost and barrage performance. I think that if the calliope was able to use both, then the cost will probably be to prohibit to use it in that way.
22 Nov 2015, 14:33 PM

The difference is the barrage times. You can shift command PW to barrage and go back to base inmediatly. A Kat will be vulnerable for some time.

Ontopic: been able to use it's maingun is just a question of unit cost and barrage performance. I think that if the calliope was able to use both, then the cost will probably be to prohibit to use it in that way.

Or makes Callie an upgrade for Sherman at around 250 muni, you can use both the main gun and barrage for free but reloading barrage is manual like Sturmtiger and maybe the Sherman runs a little slower, this is like all or nothing options for US, you have the most destructive artillery in the game but it also costs a lot, comes very late and have really short range (maybe around 55 unit, slightly better than Sturmtiger). This unit should be the ultimate truck killer.
23 Nov 2015, 06:14 AM

They should let the main gun be toggle-able, but the barrage can not be used and will not cooldown while it's active. That, or give it a very weak gun like the Panzer IV Commander.

I don't see the point in them making a Tank with Rockets if you only use the Rockets part. Why not a Truck with Rockets if you only wanted the Rockets?

I actually think it might be more good if it's a regular sherman with AP only ammo (can't toggle) and then you have a munitions cost on the barrage. But it is not pointless as you say - a tank is far more durable than a truck. Obviously they could just make the truck have tank HP but they don't usually like doing that.
23 Nov 2015, 07:40 AM

Can Caliope crush infantry? It'll be cool to force retreat on Shrek blobs, then barrage them as they run back to base.
24 Nov 2015, 13:30 PM

Its fine if the werfer or katy dies with one shot as long as they have really high damage against infantry and some against tanks.

Before the werfer buff it was never used. Now i always build at least 2 to counter a blob advance, very effective.
2 Dec 2015, 11:06 AM

Hmmm....given thats its going to be THE most durable rocket rocket launcher,
I'd imagine it'd be quite short ranged.

Probably with low range, scatter shouldn't be too high due to short range. Then fire aim time oughta be a bit high otherwise it could potentially drive into range of (i.e. within pak's firing distance), and arty a pak and drive back.

Working from there, then the barrage will probably be all fired in one go, like werfer.

Atleast, that's my speculation on it.
2 Dec 2015, 11:56 AM

Rocket arty for USF. What next?

Diversity going down hard.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak