Login

russian armor

COH Steam gonna get fixed?

PAGES (18)down
4 Jul 2013, 21:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2013, 14:42 PMRogers

How is Relic supporting the game for free for 6 years and still supporting it no caring about their fans? How is Relic striking a deal with steam to host multiplayer on their servers instead of shutting it down not caring about their fans? Just because an older game is taking them longer to get in working order does not mean they do not care. If anything it means the opposite.

Well fucking said, mate.

I am not satisfied with CoH2, but I have to be patient.

@goatsecks (lol):

1)They didn't have to, though, that's the thing. Companies like EA have closed game support such as NWN and BFME. You can't play em online without a workaround. Relic/Sega is not forced to keep those servers up forever. So they ARE servicing their community, you didn't pay FOR the game, you payed for the opportunity to play the game. You agreed to this.

2)Cheating in vCoH had its moments. In more than 1000 hours that vCoH gave me, I don't once recall a person cheating. Maybe I got drophacked once or twice and thought it was an honest drop. I don't know. But it wasn't bad enough that the game was broken. Having stronger anti-cheat measures would have been nice, but not having them was NOT a disservice to the community. 90% of cheat allegations were founded on sour losses, not legitimate evidence.

3)Bug and balances: All games have them. They patched the game a lot. They made some honest efforts towards it. The mere fact that it got patched after 5 years of lifetime (Read again: 5 years. Thats the lifecycle of a CONSOLE generation), is a true testament to their commitment. We, as a community and human beings, will always want more though. Its understandable.

4)Buggo, Thunder, Noun, Lynx. If you never interacted with some of these names, then you were not active enough in the community. They are not Blizzard GM's, ready at our whim, but community managers. They all did or do a fantastic job, in their own right. Popular games like Halo, Call of Duty and Battlefield have nigh unknown feedback form the developers (and WAY more bugs and imbalances).

Like I said: I am not satisfied with CoH2, I know its can be improved, and some of the basic things I expected are missing. I trusted a dev, with my money to improve upon it, because I am a fan. Its a tough, high stakes industry, I knew the risks....

...but I am sure as hell not going to QQ over $60.00, as if they sold me a house with bad plumbing and insulation.
5 Jul 2013, 18:11 PM

So I ask you guys: If CoH2 suddenly gets observer mode, random faction choice, ladders and a lobby, will the game suddenly become insanely OMG GREAT JUST NEEDS BALANCE TWEAKS?

No - for COH2 to meat its expectations. They need to design both factions again from scratch looking at vCOH's example if they do not have their own imagination. [Looking at the Brits (I adore Panzer Elite i have to say though) and now soviets and ostheer - they are clearly going the wrong way in many, many aspects).

<u>Minimal requirements for COH2</u> to be in a beginning of a road to make those factions/environment and therefore the gameplay at least half of enjoyable as in vCOH:
  • Critical: less ability based, more micro/macro based gameplay/factions
  • Critical: more support type units then the other way
  • units have to be more iconic then actually trying to reach any kind of reality (which they can't anyway if COH2 can't render 1000-5000 men on screen at a same time)
  • Critical: bring popcap back
  • Critical: bring targeting tables back
  • Critical: maps have to be half size of current map size, objects on maps has to serve strategical purpose (no random things just to fill space or look good)
  • resource sector layout has to serve the terrain and strategy

- these are all the basic things which have huge impact on gameplay. If even a single percent of that stays unfixed, COH2 will never have as satisfying gameplay as COH1 has right now.

Fatal Errors:
  • DLC doctorines
  • DLC Bulletins
  • Performance on low settings (especially when on low settings COH2 has minecraft-kind of a graphics when you can't see anything at all. + Multiple specific performance issues - like tactical map)

I bet COH1 will still be played when COH2 will be dead for a long time. Sad that is - but that's what I think about COH2's future going the current chosen path.

I can just hope that COH3 will be entirely based on COH1; fixing all the cheating issues, bringing incredible multiplayer and community features (bringing examples from StarCraf2 and LoL), exceptionally good performance so everyone can play it, regional pricing so everyone can afford it.

But the most important - COH3 has to HOLD GREAT GOALS to become best RTS game ever, best E-sports game ever, and bring new standard in strategic gameplay which COH1 deserved to bring.
5 Jul 2013, 18:36 PM

The big problem is that Relic does not see potential in COH1 based development nor investments.

Instead they make blurry shadow of COH franchise called COH2.

If anyone from Relic reads this thread I have a message:
- You guys should play more your game, to become actually "good" at it (I mean COH1). Everyone in DEV team related to any gameplay related development should know all 100 Tips of the Week mastered in gamereplays.org.

- We can clearly see the COH2 going in a direction "fixing" the typical new-player (call them noobs, newbies - whatever) complains about gameplay related things. What usually you can answer to them is: "Go read forum, read guides, watch replays, watch streams" or just answer the guy directly to his concern what he might think to be imbalance, bug or something wrong to be fixed.

- Current direction where COH2 goes clearly shows that Relic - actually doesn't know much about what "the COH IS" all about! Therefore they do not see huge potential which it has just fixing the issues ARROUND the game, giving modern multi-player-system/community features and relaunching it in a new shapes.

- I want see Relic devs related to gameplay at TOP in vCOH leaderboard. I want to see them loving this game - can't living without it, but not making a shaddow of franchise in a 49,99 EUR + DLC.

Currently COH2 is not what COH1 is all about - therefore in my mind it is kinda excluded from COH franchise as a sidestep from Company of Heroes core key elements
23 Jul 2013, 18:16 PM
Donator 22

anybody heard anything about these plans? all very silent here :-/
24 Jul 2013, 00:34 AM

anybody heard anything about these plans? all very silent here :-/

Never?

They are unable to fix COH2 and that brings them money, what makes you think they will fix COH1? Because they said so? Oh cmon, you should know better.
Maybe they had intention to fix it originally, but it wont happen.

Its just sad to see a game -that once was so good- to die like this.

However it gives you a different view on the company that made it, what to expect from coh2
24 Jul 2013, 02:05 AM

If you expect consistent support from Relic, you're gonna have a bad time.

Tbh, you can't really blame them. Things got complicated with the THQ bankruptcy, and at the end of the day Relic is a business first. Cut the costs where you can, charge for extra things here and there, and hope you're still running in a year's time.

CoH1 is just not important enough to devote budget to. It'll also force some people to move to a better supported CoH2.
24 Jul 2013, 03:28 AM

can Relic just shut down COH1??
24 Jul 2013, 05:28 AM

They should shut down coh and leave it for us JUST to play lan games............ COH is dead.

Before 1 hr to get 2v2 game.... then at least 1 hr to get AT game.... NOW... 1 hr to get basic match game...

More and more people are leaving coh as most of us dont have the time to wait 1hr+ JUST FOR 1 game.... and that is in basic match...

F uck this and even so that I am getting a new rig to play any game that i want - after seeing all the feedback from coh2 then I say F uck that also.

I will shell out $60 when I see that coh2 is actually good. For now going to Metro Last Light...
24 Jul 2013, 06:07 AM

I made my peace with vCoH a long time ago (almost a year). Not mad if they shut it down, it more than paid for what I invested in it. I wish it didn't close, and hopefully they'd improve all of the features and polish it back into shape, but Im not investing my hopes in that.

I also wish they'd bring back other legacy games, you know? But they are that: legacy.
24 Jul 2013, 15:37 PM

Please Fix coh1!!!!
24 Jul 2013, 15:39 PM
Benefactor 115

game still works for me, I'm surprised no one has taken it upon themselves to host some events for this game if the auto matcher is in as bad a shape as people claim.
25 Jul 2013, 05:31 AM

If you expect consistent support from Relic, you're gonna have a bad time.

Tbh, you can't really blame them. Things got complicated with the THQ bankruptcy, and at the end of the day Relic is a business first. Cut the costs where you can, charge for extra things here and there, and hope you're still running in a year's time.

CoH1 is just not important enough to devote budget to. It'll also force some people to move to a better supported CoH2.

COH1 is more important the COH2. No-one told them to reinvent the bicycles - as an educated people they should fucking know not to do so, especially when they can not risk (as they do not have unlimited budget).

How can one make those decisions??? Here you have it - COH1, the game that has been polished for 7 years. Where did the decision came from to start COH2 basically from scratch??? Why we reinvent the bicycles and bulbs???

.... and then we have these excuses - the game is still new..., remember COH1's state months after release - was even worse....

But guess what - COH2 was EXPECTED to start from a point where COH1 ended (at least if not greater), therefore it can bring only disappointment as it did not!
25 Jul 2013, 06:51 AM

The arguments in this thread are positively tragic.

Relic has no obligation to do anything for CoH 1. It would/will be awesome if they do. No one cares about your stupid threads to relic. We have to wait and see.

/Thread
25 Jul 2013, 07:56 AM

The arguments in this thread are positively tragic.

Relic has no obligation to do anything for CoH 1. It would/will be awesome if they do. No one cares about your stupid threads to relic. We have to wait and see.

/Thread

No one cares about your opinion either, now move along.
25 Jul 2013, 08:06 AM

I'm glad Relic took a different approach to COH2. Not trying new ideas, is the opposite of what video game development should be about.

If developers never took risks new games and genres would have never evolved or been created, the industry would stagnate.

People resist and fear change because they don't understand it or it feels different from the norm, it is true in every medium and real life.

While some may find COH2 hard to adapt to many new players will pick up this new game and come to love it, like me and my friends.

Remember how everyone hated steam in the beginning and the idea of an internet based CMS.

People also need to understand that Sega are probably calling shots on where Relic's resources are focused and it makes sense that they focus on their newest game first.
25 Jul 2013, 08:32 AM

It seems you didnt understand the critics made about coh2. It was not criticism about being different to coh1, but what relic created doesnt work as a game.
Btw. people still hate steam...

I think relic did mismanage their "roadmap" and can´t make everything happen, what they promised. Funding might be too low too, you never know what is happening behind the curtain... However this will make players prevent spending money on this company any further.
25 Jul 2013, 09:12 AM

I don't think they can afford to fix CoH not in terms of money but in terms of player base; there are not that many people playing CoH 2, and if CoH were to be fixed I suspect a reasonable chunk of players would make the switch back. Sinking the CoH2 ship before it even sailed.

I predict CoH will remain how it is, and CoH 2 will get intermittently updated until an expansion or new DLC comes along. At which point they will no longer have the resources to work on the core CoH2 gameplay whilst they are bringing us new material.
25 Jul 2013, 13:17 PM

Well some people are not patient enough to wait untill CoH2 have been updated enough for it to be more enjoyable.

I did buy CoH2 about 2-3 weeks ago and since then i have only played a total of 3-4 matches and quickly after those i've lost complete interest over CoH2, there is nothing in the game that drags me back into it.

I have no idea if or when they will make the game better and more interesting but by that time, i will probably not give a crap about CoH2.
However if they fixed vCoH, i would most likely start to play it again.

Also, i've been keeping an eye out on steam statstics when it comes to CoH2. About a month ago it had about 10k players, and now the numbers have droped to 5-6k, the same number vCoH had almost daily when it was on the old servers.

So goatsecks is right, they will not fix vCoH because if they did there would be more people switching back to vCoH from CoH2, and it will have its early grave in Stalingrad.
25 Jul 2013, 13:28 PM

It seems you didnt understand the critics made about coh2. It was not criticism about being different to coh1, but what relic created doesnt work as a game.
Btw. people still hate steam...

I think relic did mismanage their "roadmap" and can´t make everything happen, what they promised. Funding might be too low too, you never know what is happening behind the curtain... However this will make players prevent spending money on this company any further.

Steam was the spawn of evil when it arrived, now it is a beloved part of PC gaming for most people and changed and some say saved PC gaming.

People are complaining that COH2 is not a polished as COH1, Relic could have just reskinned COH1 and sold it as COH2 and then people would be complaining that it is too similar or a cheap reskin.

What Relic have created is a different game, a game which does work but has some bugs like all games ever launched.

25 Jul 2013, 13:31 PM

Well some people are not that patient enough to wait untill CoH2 have been updated enough for it to be more enjoyable.

I did buy CoH2 about 2-3 weeks ago, and since then i have only played a total of 3-4 matches maybe and quickly after those i've lost complete interest over CoH2.
There is nothing in the game that drags me back into it.

I have no idea if or when they will make the game better and more interesting but by that time, i will probably not give a crap about CoH2 but if they fixed vCoH, i would most likely start to play it again.

Also, i've been keeping an eye out on steam statstics when it comes to CoH2. About a month ago it had about 10k players, and now the numbers have droped to 5-6k, the same number vCoH had almost daily when it was on the old servers.

So goatsecks is right, they will not fix vCoH because there will be people switching back to vCoH from CoH2, and it will have its early grave in Stalingrad.

Remember steam statistics do not represent the sales amount.

Releasing a game in July is nearly always a bad idea and I think the game should've been pushed back to late september.
PAGES (18)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS