Login

russian armor

Doctor Who

13 Nov 2015, 14:07 PM

You all hate it.

You all love to hate it.

But secretly some of you love it and you're going to tell me what you like and don't like about series 9.

My impression so far has been mixed, I liked the episodes Under the Lake/Before the Flood and the Zygon Invasions/Inversion was good but fell down during the second part.

The potential of the Dalek 2 parter at the start of the series was what hooked me, and then the episode got underway and I was like :huhsign: which wasn't helped by the miserable follow up in the second part. The fact they ousted the "new" Daleks is great, no more rainbow Daleks and introducing the old 60's ones back was a nice touch, but ultimately the defeat by dead Dalek bits from the sewers was soooooooo ropey. And shit :snfPeter: So not happy with that two parter, event the Davros bits were all talk.

I'll add more later since I need to dash now.

If anyone reads this :*(
13 Nov 2015, 14:10 PM

Wait, it's on Series 9 now? I havent watched it since like, Series 6 or 7 :snfPeter:
13 Nov 2015, 17:56 PM

Wait, it's on Series 9 now? I havent watched it since like, Series 6 or 7 :snfPeter:

Then you haven't missed much.

Series 9 is better than the last two, but not quite as good as the Eccelston/Tennant era.
17 Dec 2015, 07:56 AM
Benefactor 115

I personally enjoyed series 9, Peter Capaldi is slowly becoming one of my favorite doctor.

Under the Lake/Before the Flood was a great watch. I honestly like Hell Bent, I guess it was mainly due to the fact that you get to see the Doctor on Gallifrey.

I can't wait for the Christmas special since we can see what type of combo Peter Capaldi and Alex Kingston (River Song) will make.
17 Dec 2015, 08:08 AM

I think Clara actually dying and the Doctor forgetting her was great, just wish Hell Bent had more Gallifrey and more Hybrid. Also the way they ousted Rasillon was a bit rubbish, but otherwise it was good and I liked how we never find out what the hybrid is.

And Capaldi is great, had some trouble separating him from Malcolm Tucker for a bit but he's better than Matt Smith. Series nine has been a big step up from the previous three.
17 Dec 2015, 08:21 AM
Benefactor 115

I liked Matt Smith at first but eventually I think he just started to slowly get worse and worse, I don't know if it was the writing or what to be honest.

The Clara dying I think is great, I mean we'll have to move on, find a new companion eventually. She was the doctors companion for 2 and a half series? so eventually it had to come to and end. They did it perfectly imo.

I think how they started series 9 with the boy in the field and then all of a sudden boom, we learn that it's Davros

Now with Peter Capaldi and Malcolm Tucker, well watch this NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

Opinion on Peter's intro theme?
17 Dec 2015, 09:30 AM

Yeah, seen those mashups and they're great.

Since I started watching in 2005 that theme is my favourite, Matt Smith's was crap but Capaldi's has grown on me a lot and I like it.
17 Dec 2015, 13:48 PM
Donator 11

Its become extremely formulaic, and it suffers the same thing as sherlock. Part of good writing is letting the audience discover/unravel the mystery along with the main characters.

In the newer doctor whos, it is "We are going to keep the audience guessing until the last 10 minutes, then lo and behold the Doctor has figured everything out and is now going to explain it to you!"

It gets old, and I haven't really enjoyed the show since the series where the silence is the main bad guys.
17 Dec 2015, 14:13 PM

It's Moffat's writing, we never had it under Davies but Moffat is just crap when he has to do it all. His standalone episodes Tje Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Blink and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead were good because he wasn't overseeing everyone roses stuff, Davies had the right drive and Moffat wants to be too clever.

Good thing about series nine is that the stories are written more by other people than Moffat so, as we should expect, less of his stupid arbitrary storylines where time goes wrong and then people get married and it's fine again.
25 Dec 2015, 18:21 PM

Just finished the Christmas special and
26 Jan 2016, 09:13 AM

So, series ten is pushed back to 2017 because silly Olympics, it will be Moffat's last series as well as Capaldi's. Real shame since he was really starting the become a great doctor, but none of them so far have stayed longer than three series, so I suppose that's fair enough.

As for Moffat going... :hyper:
9 Aug 2016, 02:44 AM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2016, 09:13 AMSwift
So, series ten is pushed back to 2017 because silly Olympics, it will be Moffat's last series as well as Capaldi's. Real shame since he was really starting the become a great doctor, but none of them so far have stayed longer than three series, so I suppose that's fair enough.

As for Moffat going... :hyper:

I know this post is from 7 months ago, anyway not the point.

But it's Capadi's last series? :(:(:( WHHYYYYYY

But for Moffat :crazy::crazy:

I will need to do a series 1-9 catch up sometime before next year. B-)
9 Aug 2016, 03:17 AM

11 Aug 2016, 21:12 PM

What is it?

Too good to comprehend.
26 Dec 2016, 20:48 PM

I know the Christmas specials are generally stupid or silly and not really to be taken too seriously, but this one crossed the line and wasn't just incredibly stupid, but it was just bad. The Widow and the Wardrobe one or whatever that was was terrible, but it at least wasn't idiotic and full of bad acting.

Firstly the brain things were given no explanation, nor was the gemstone that was supposedly a red dwarf. Moffat made no effort to communicate any sense of context and focussed mostly on delivering the wet main character's story via flashbacks to child actors so emotionless they probably forgot to take a pulse to check they're even alive before shooting.

The superhero/nanny dichotomy was rubbish, the guy was unconvincing as both roles and was played by someone who clearly styled himself as some up and coming new Hugh Grant. The reporter was bad, she couldn't act. I don't know they're American actors or British but it makes little difference, she couldn't portray any emotion without looking like a five year old in a Christmas Nativity play.

The setting of New York was irrelevant. What a great setting to choose. They've used it before in Doctor Who for better or worse, e.g. Daleks in Manhattan, Day of the Moon and The Angels take Manhattan. They could have literally been in an undecorated TV studio for all it mattered because the setting was not even important, except "New York's not a capital city" - wow, excellent, so make more use of the setting instead of making it a crap line.

The enemy was not threatening because they did nothing at all except pull guns out their heads and never fire them.
All in all, the plot was a massive rip off of series 1's Aliens of London, with the exception that the aliens in this didn't even have a plan after 'blow up the planet'. They'd probably all have died from being stranded on Earth.

Fucking awful. Good riddance Moffat.
2 Aug 2017, 05:52 AM
Benefactor 115

Thoughts on female doctor? I'd give it a try and see how it turns out. But hopefully Moffat writing won't hurt it that much, ha what am I kidding?
2 Aug 2017, 15:12 PM

Thoughts on female doctor? I'd give it a try and see how it turns out. But hopefully Moffat writing won't hurt it that much, ha what am I kidding?

Don't mind at all tbh. And also Moffat's gone remember. Hooooooooray!

My biggest fear is her USP will be that she's a female Doctor, and so when they come to do another one they'll have no particularly quirky character traits.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS