Login

russian armor

P2P is already starting to piss me off.

27 Jun 2013, 19:10 PM

Thanks crawler, that clears a lot of points.

Its basically like throwing coins in the air, and hoping the other guy catches them all. I remember back in the day, old games used a pure TCP/IP connection (e.g.: Age of Empires).

Why did they change this? I remember the first times I used UDP ports were for game services like Gamespy, the Zone and such, but only after like... early 2000's did games started using them big time, if my memory serves me right.
27 Jun 2013, 19:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2013, 19:06 PMraw

It hasn't.

dude, srsly... you quote guys that say the truth and just say "not true", not even an explanation/counter argument.

if that is your way of handling a discussion i'll just leave this here:

P2P fucking sucks.

no it doesnt.

raw
27 Jun 2013, 19:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2013, 19:15 PMcr4wler

dude, srsly... you quote guys that say the truth and just say "not true", not even an explanation/counter argument.

That's because I am not discussing the quality of my connection.
raw
27 Jun 2013, 19:23 PM

Its basically like throwing coins in the air, and hoping the other guy catches them all. I remember back in the day, old games used a pure TCP/IP connection (e.g.: Age of Empires).

Why did they change this? I remember the first times I used UDP ports were for game services like Gamespy, the Zone and such, but only after like... early 2000's did games started using them big time, if my memory serves me right.

Gamespy Arcade is just a game server browser, i.e. what is desired (lobby).
27 Jun 2013, 19:23 PM

Thanks crawler, that clears a lot of points.

UDP is used in time critical situations. take a stream for example, simplified:

if you receive frame 2 after you've already displayed frame 5, that information is useless anyway (and will just get discarded). no need to confirm the packet, nor (in case a packet is corrupted) to request to re-send the packet (since it will be outdated once it arrives anyway).
but since UDP has less overhead both in the packet itself and when considering all the ACKs and other stuff that is not actually transmission of data, using UDP saves quite a lot of bandwidth (and time).
27 Jun 2013, 19:49 PM

Yeh TCP is just too slow; so if a packet is dropped somewhere along the line, the receiving TCP stack will then queue the subsequent packets until it can transmit a 'resend' signal, wait for the missing packet, then assemble & move the data up the stack to the application. Say you have a ping of 125ms,getting that missing packet could take 1/4 of a second. That's no good in a time sensitive application.

Any road, UDP for speed & real-time apps, TCP for reliability & time independent communication.
27 Jun 2013, 20:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2013, 19:23 PMraw
Gamespy Arcade is just a game server browser, i.e. what is desired (lobby).

It is not the exact same thing as we want. It is "partially" better in some aspects.

COH's lobby was deeply itnegrated with the game. No lobby, no game. Ever.

Gamespy Arcade could be integrated into the game, but it was never fully merged. Take a game such as AvP2 or NWN. They took Gamespy Arcade off, and the game still "works" albeit, you need to find the servers some other way (that's better than nothing).

The very fact that CoH was made the way it was, means it was impossible to even play, without the migration to steam, AFAIK.
2 Jul 2013, 15:45 PM

Guys, I've been thinking about this, and was wondering... As it's contacting players all over the globe, there are going to be a myriad of different routers all over the place, and some countries use different methods for ADSL (PPPoA/PPPoE for example).

Raw - you say your connection is mega. Could you try setting your MTU on your router to 1492 (or check if it isn't that already)? If it's set to 1500, might be worth setting it a bit smaller.

I'm only thinking that it may reduce fragmentation and therefore reduce the percentage of times that you get kicked. YMMV, ofc, but could also try tuning your MTU lower still.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★