Login

russian armor

Your opinion about OKW

31 Oct 2015, 03:59 AM

Hello all!

I want to know about people's reviews abiut OKWokwokw. I have checked some guides but... But Im CoH1 player, who wants to move to CoH2. Im waiting for discount in Steam... I thought there will be Halloween discount but there is no... So, Maybe I will buy original game and all factions when I will see discount at last. But Now I was thinking about buying just one faction... And it could be OKW, the US Forces or the British Forces. In CoH1 I always played for Wehrmachtwehrwehr... So... Help me pls in choosing now.

:help::hansSTUG:
31 Oct 2015, 04:09 AM

okw is the most terrible faction in coh2 history !! right now !! atleast
31 Oct 2015, 05:13 AM

could you explain better?
31 Oct 2015, 05:22 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

If you are looking to play something similar to Wehr in CoH I recommend getting the standard game for Ostheer. On the other hand if you want to try a faction which is more specialized with different units try OKW. Both factions are great :).
31 Oct 2015, 06:32 AM

If you are looking to play something similar to Wehr in CoH I recommend getting the standard game for Ostheer. On the other hand if you want to try a faction which is more specialized with different units try OKW. Both factions are great :).

Well, thanks for the advice. But what is it really - playing for okwokwOKW? Its not like standart ostheerostheerOstheer, I understand. But what is it? Mobilized and elite squads and vehicles? So, then it more looks like Panzer Elitepepe from CoH1.
31 Oct 2015, 16:12 PM

OKW isn't quite the same as panzer elite. They're actually pretty unique fot CoH. Basically they're an elite faction. Save for volksgtenadiers and the raketenwerfer all their units are comparably stronger and have more utility than rival factions and all units have extra levels of vet which makes them a powerful late game faction. The downside is they receive less resources and are reliant on salvaging and resource conversion.

I would consider them one of the harder factions in the game to play outside of team games where they can get carried to later tech.

I would recommend waiting for a sale either around black Friday or Christmas. My sister snagged OKW for $3 last year. Could probably get all the factions for ~25 if you wait.
31 Oct 2015, 23:07 PM

OKW isn't quite the same as panzer elite. They're actually pretty unique fot CoH. Basically they're an elite faction. Save for volksgtenadiers and the raketenwerfer all their units are comparably stronger and have more utility than rival factions and all units have extra levels of vet which makes them a powerful late game faction. The downside is they receive less resources and are reliant on salvaging and resource conversion.

I would consider them one of the harder factions in the game to play outside of team games where they can get carried to later tech.

I would recommend waiting for a sale either around black Friday or Christmas. My sister snagged OKW for $3 last year. Could probably get all the factions for ~25 if you wait.

Thanks! LoL, I already bought original CoH2 game and my friend bought Western Front Armies. He is playing for OKW and me for Wehrmacht. We have used special website with keys in Steam from different sales. Little bit more expensive, but on the other hand - who knows which sale will be next? I payed 11 EUR for CoH2 key. And I have all (All!) commanders for Wehrmacht (for soviets did not check yet). And my friend bought Western Front Armies for 6 EUR. I think that is pretty good price. Later I will bought other factions and my friend will but main game. So, we have successfully moved to CoH2 and we are happy.

OWK looks like really something new. But I dont understand some things - in the official small guide in Steam there is written that is early-game faction...
p.s. your sister know what is right :D
1 Nov 2015, 10:42 AM
Honorary Member Badge

What game mode do you intend to play and what is important to you?

If you intend to play team games then OKW become very strong as OKH partners can help offset their resource penalty and the longer game means their impressive Vet becomes very helpful

In 1v1 they aren't regarded as a power faction.

If on the other hand you like an eclectic choice of vehicles and units backed up with the best stock AT infantry in the game then they are for you
1 Nov 2015, 10:44 AM
Honorary Member Badge

OWK looks like really something new. But I dont understand some things - in the official small guide in Steam there is written that is early-game faction...

Haven't seen it so cannot comment, partially depends how old that guide is

Early on Kubelwagens cost no fuel and had very good suppression so spamming them was a viable tactic and very hard to play against.

That's since been fixed
1 Nov 2015, 17:37 PM

Haven't seen it so cannot comment, partially depends how old that guide is

Early on Kubelwagens cost no fuel and had very good suppression so spamming them was a viable tactic and very hard to play against.

That's since been fixed

1 Nov 2015, 17:38 PM

What game mode do you intend to play and what is important to you?

If you intend to play team games then OKW become very strong as OKH partners can help offset their resource penalty and the longer game means their impressive Vet becomes very helpful

In 1v1 they aren't regarded as a power faction.

If on the other hand you like an eclectic choice of vehicles and units backed up with the best stock AT infantry in the game then they are for you

Yeah! An I already got it =) Im playing for Wehrmacht now and my friend for OKW ))
2 Nov 2015, 20:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2015, 05:13 AMSeven
could you explain better?

Play the game and you'll understand.

Think COH1 PE nerfed even harder.

If you are a COH1 Wehr player, you will HATE COH2 OKW.

There is no faction in COH2 comparable to COH1 Wehr VET3 BS and its overall armour Überness.

Ostheer (Wehrmacht) is a poor cousin in comparison, although with the exception of its overnerfed Grenadiers (basic T1 infantry), it is arguably the most balanced of the COH2 factions.

If you want COH1 Wehr noskiLLz required Überness in COH2, play USF.

2 Nov 2015, 23:20 PM

Play the game and you'll understand.

Think COH1 PE nerfed even harder.

If you are a COH1 Wehr player, you will HATE COH2 OKW.

There is no faction in COH2 comparable to COH1 Wehr VET3 BS and its overall armour Überness.

Ostheer (Wehrmacht) is a poor cousin in comparison, although with the exception of its overnerfed Grenadiers (basic T1 infantry), it is arguably the most balanced of the COH2 factions.

If you want COH1 Wehr noskiLLz required Überness in COH2, play USF.

Wehrmacht in CoH2 is not so heavy strong at t3-t4, like Wehrmacht in CoH1... Yeah... And... mostly so easy to lost vehicles... But panthers is still strong things. And Stugs is not so bad. But Panzers IV is not so useful, I thing. I never produced this tanks in CoH1.
3 Nov 2015, 00:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Nov 2015, 17:37 PMSeven

Everybody was laughing about this chart.
While OKW has to played aggressively it's not that strong in early game, unless you a very risky play style.

Their strength comes with keeping units alive to vet them up and use the power of vet 5 to win against your enemy in mid/late game, by theory at least :foreveralone:
3 Nov 2015, 04:22 AM

Everybody was laughing about this chart.
While OKW has to played aggressively it's not that strong in early game, unless you a very risky play style.

Their strength comes with keeping units alive to vet them up and use the power of vet 5 to win against your enemy in mid/late game, by theory at least :foreveralone:

Good luck reaching vet 5 though :p

You will only need to destroy the entire Western Front's worth of US troops or something to get to vet 4 :p
3 Nov 2015, 07:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Nov 2015, 17:37 PMSeven

If you play properly, the initial wave for OKW is acutally powerful with vg absorbing damage,sWs HT disrupting enemy positionsing, sturms flanking to assault and perhaps a kubel providing suppression. So it is more possible for OKW player to assault to enemy troops instead of capping its own territory at te start of the game than other factions, hoping to bleed some enemy's manpower, or at least to force some of enemy's squads to retreat and to disrupt enemy's capping.

Also, due to OKW's resource penality, it is a better choice for OKW to decap enemy's points, especailly cutoffs, than capping OKW's own territory. This is because the fewer points the both side have, the less difference there are between OKW and its enemy's resource incomes. Furthermore, OKW does not have many defence structures and support weapons(LOL MG34) to deal with blobs and to build a strong defence line like Ost and UKF(I don't play CoH1 but I guess that's pretty much like PE in CoH1). So it is better for OKW players to choose an aggressive playstyle and tries to break enemy line instead of waiting enemy to break your line.

Just my two cents, and are focusing on 1v1. I draw those conculsion from my own automatch experience, and I hope those can explain something.:)
3 Nov 2015, 22:26 PM

At the moment i'm successfully winning 4v4 randie matches with a pretty decent setup that once played right and micromanaged well can stomp your way through any setup i've encountered so far. I know how people are complaining about the weakness of the Axis but really i'd say that just comes from people that don't know how to micromanage or fail to understand the difference in spontaneously changing from conservative defence into a steady offence.

For the early game I tend to build in this order

1x Kubel (set that as a group as Kubel's are extremely effective if microed well)
1xVolks
Medic Headquarter
1xVolks
1xRaketenwerfer
1xIFSG

From here I build according to the playstyle of the enemies and also choose which commander I need. If your teammates are good then you will reinforce each others weaknesses and perform a combined assault which completely decimates enemies early game, if done right.
This is where I see many players fail and cost the game for the Germans as they either stand idle with full squads of men or try to muscle it out with the Allied infantry head on... WHICH WON'T WORK! Once the Allies have a steady blob going then any chance of a head on assault is pretty much gone. Instead what I find is that you should take the paths that aren't used much and try to take out their support weapons before you deal with the infantry. Once the support weapons are down then you can rush in with your mechanized vehicle and clean up the blob while watching those allied douches cry all the way back to their base.

(Douchebag tactic 101: If you didnt kill a blob enough then flare to scout their regen point and bomb the living crap out of it! Once most of their veterans are gone, its smooth sailing from there)

Either way i'm having tons of fun with the OKW and i don't see what people have against them, at the moment the only form of imbalance would probably be from shock troops which are absolute assholes that refuse to die, or the Maxim that occasionally instantly suppresses. Other than that, play smart and be spontaneous and you'll be able to stand toe to toe with your average player and your occasional pro.

Also Gnaggy made a pretty good point about taking out their points or cutting off territory. Nothing is more frustrating to an allied player than having to sacrifice some manpower to retake a point and weaken their defenses (believe me, i've been in that position and it never ends well, at least against a decent German opponent)

3 Nov 2015, 22:48 PM
Donator 11

I think relic wanted to show there that okw has the most powerfull starting unit. But in fact with how bad flak HT is right now there is no way to play agressivly as okw. Its all about farming vet and preserving squads to become more powerfull late game in this patch and there is no doubt that it is the weakest 1v1 faction now.

In team games they can be carried to super heavies, as they have best heavy armor in game but in fact there is no need for it as ostheer is in every situation at least as good and usually better, especially if you use snipers.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★