Login

russian armor

Why some historical resemblance matters

2 Nov 2015, 01:25 AM

I don't play the game for realism. If you want realism, play Men of War. I like the World War II feel, and I think it goes well with the arcadey feel that CoH2 implements.
2 Nov 2015, 22:09 PM

Invissed two posts for flame, stay on topic here please, if you need you can construct a ring outside for your squabbles.
2 Nov 2015, 22:14 PM

There is only one time when it's acceptable to apply real world stats and specification to a video game. It needs to be label "simulation". Any other time it's up the studio, more often then not it's for the sake of balance. Want to talk about history? Thers a off topic section in this web site. So yes OP you are wrong.
3 Nov 2015, 04:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2015, 22:14 PMGenObi
There is only one time when it's acceptable to apply real world stats and specification to a video game. It needs to be label "simulation". Any other time it's up the studio, more often then not it's for the sake of balance. Want to talk about history? Thers a off topic section in this web site. So yes OP you are wrong.

If thats fine, can I please have my Luchs penning IS-2s frontally and gibbing it? Or early war Soviet ATGs penning Tigers?

Even if you don't add real world stats and specifications, there's something called making it reasonable. SU-85 for instance was designed as a stopgap to the SU-100 because the SU-76 and T-34/76s couldn't deal with Tigers or Panthers, yet SU-76s can deal with Tigers and panthers frontally in the game. So if thats the case, why was the SU-85 and SU-100 developed anyway?

Stuff like that is annoying and should be fixed. It gives the game authenticity and makes it more enjoyable.
3 Nov 2015, 14:59 PM

I demand both!
3 Nov 2015, 17:11 PM

Darth Vader call-in? Anyone? No?
3 Nov 2015, 17:37 PM

I think some people are misunderstanding the OP. He does not want a purely realistic game due to balance reasons. However, he is suggesting that the developers use real-world data as a starting point for balance. Relic would refer to real-life numbers and statistics to get an accurate representation of that unit, and then tweak some numbers/abilities/cost in order to achieve gameplay balance. Personally, I agree with the OP.

Some aspects of the game are ahistorical and unreasonable. The IS2 dealing 160 damage, Kubels surviving howitzer shots, ISU HE shells barely tickling a tank. These are just several of the bizarre moments in COH2 that makes me cringe. I think there are ways to improve upon the historical accuracy of COH2 WHILE achieving balance.

I think there are a lot of people in this thread seeing this problem in terms of polar opposites. "You can't have realism if you can't balance!" or "I want a balanced game not a simulation!" are some of the attitudes I have observed on this thread. I think it is possible to have a good degree of both. Therefore, it is important to have a good starting point: historical data and figures.

I agree with Hannibal's post, especially about "stabbing in the dark". Relic seems to be balancing the game within the parameters of the game. This is a WW2 game. It was marketed as an authentic WW2 experience. Does this mean a purely realistic and accurate game? No i don't think so. I think Relic has slowly deviated from historical context and molded their own version (of course creativity and artistry are important, but right now, the deviations are unreasonable).

3 Nov 2015, 17:56 PM

I think some people are misunderstanding the OP. He does not want a purely realistic game due to balance reasons. However, he is suggesting that the developers use real-world data as a starting point for balance. Relic would refer to real-life numbers and statistics to get an accurate representation of that unit, and then tweak some numbers/abilities/cost in order to achieve gameplay balance. Personally, I agree with the OP.

Some aspects of the game are ahistorical and unreasonable. The IS2 dealing 160 damage, Kubels surviving howitzer shots, ISU HE shells barely tickling a tank. These are just several of the bizarre moments in COH2 that makes me cringe. I think there are ways to improve upon the historical accuracy of COH2 WHILE achieving balance.

I think there are a lot of people in this thread seeing this problem in terms of polar opposites. "You can't have realism if you can't balance!" or "I want a balanced game not a simulation!" are some of the attitudes I have observed on this thread. I think it is possible to have a good degree of both. Therefore, it is important to have a good starting point: historical data and figures.

I agree with Hannibal's post, especially about "stabbing in the dark". Relic seems to be balancing the game within the parameters of the game. This is a WW2 game. It was marketed as an authentic WW2 experience. Does this mean a purely realistic and accurate game? No i don't think so. I think Relic has slowly deviated from historical context and molded their own version (of course creativity and artistry are important, but right now, the deviations are unreasonable).

I agree with this, I understand that coh can never achieve 100% realism, nor could it probably achieve 50% Realism, its just how the community and the game design was built. Though take war thunder for example, I use to play that game physically as much as I possibly could, along with several of my friends because the developers put realism first, though unfortunately for us, as the community grew, Gijan needed to appeal to a broader range of players, and started to get a much more arcadey feeling, even though they still stated historical accuracy was still their number one priority. How ever such games as IL2, Men of war, Silent Hunter 3, and Red Orchestra 2 still catch that realism first notion and personally I still enjoy those games very much because of that. Never the less, I do think what does it for me with coh is that it does have its arcadey feeling, and I can just hop into a game and have a different experience every time, not getting pinned down in 3 seconds or having no chance against suppeior Russian or German armor, it allows even the underdog to come in and turn a battle around, not just based on Tech or skill alone, but a combination of the two. That is why I prefer coh most of the time over more realistic games, as it just has that special spark, back in the days when I was just a kid playing battle station pacific 24/7 on xbox :P.
4 Nov 2015, 00:41 AM
Patrion 28

units should adhere as close to their real life examples as possible without negatively effecting the game. this includes things like snipers having a higher fire range then most tanks because of the scale the game is at. examples of where this isn't really followed are things like volks having bolt actions and no automatics.
4 Nov 2015, 08:04 AM

I agree with this, I understand that coh can never achieve 100% realism, nor could it probably achieve 50% Realism, its just how the community and the game design was built. Though take war thunder for example, I use to play that game physically as much as I possibly could, along with several of my friends because the developers put realism first, though unfortunately for us, as the community grew, Gijan needed to appeal to a broader range of players, and started to get a much more arcadey feeling, even though they still stated historical accuracy was still their number one priority. How ever such games as IL2, Men of war, Silent Hunter 3, and Red Orchestra 2 still catch that realism first notion and personally I still enjoy those games very much because of that. Never the less, I do think what does it for me with coh is that it does have its arcadey feeling, and I can just hop into a game and have a different experience every time, not getting pinned down in 3 seconds or having no chance against suppeior Russian or German armor, it allows even the underdog to come in and turn a battle around, not just based on Tech or skill alone, but a combination of the two. That is why I prefer coh most of the time over more realistic games, as it just has that special spark, back in the days when I was just a kid playing battle station pacific 24/7 on xbox :P.

Great post. wish more people would read OP's fully through rather than just ignore Half my post and comment on the other half.

EDIT: This reply was meant for Ninja's post one before.
4 Nov 2015, 09:52 AM

What happened to my promised hello kitty theamed skins? And dicks. They promised dicks on the panzers.
4 Nov 2015, 09:58 AM

We Need CoH Star Wars Battlefront :P with DLC commanders (Buy Strike force doctrine and get a Y-wing strike), call ins (Call in AT-AT, tanks, you name it) and infantry play with turrets :P

Relic would make a lot more from it than DOW 3 :P If they had enough money to buy the licencing of Disney :P

Inb4 Imperial OP cries.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS