Login

russian armor

How much impact on outcomes do you think RNG really has?

27 Oct 2015, 19:49 PM

How cute.

That is what they told me when Centaurs and Crocodooms wiped squad after squad without me even being able to do anything against it.

How is that RNG related

That just means that those units are OP lol
27 Oct 2015, 19:51 PM

Permanently Banned

How is that RNG related

That just means that those units are OP lol

Well if a Centaur insta wipes a squad, yet has to take 4 bursts to kill the other one and kills another one in 2 bursts, I call that RNG. Crocodoom is even worse, sometimes it killed one model on retreat by some miracle and other times you couldn't even hit retreat before your unit was dead.

That is what I call RNG
27 Oct 2015, 19:52 PM

How cute.

That is what they told me when Centaurs and Crocodooms wiped squad after squad without me even being able to do anything against it.

That isn't really RNG. RNG implies some randomness, being caught off guard by something vaporizing when its not the typical outcome. We already know centaurs and crocs should be avoided by infantry at all costs because they fuck shit up 100% of the time, because balance. :hansREKT:
27 Oct 2015, 19:53 PM

Replays or gtfo.

Why so agressive ?

if no 222 it could change a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzNEnVmqLYE
27 Oct 2015, 19:53 PM

How cute.

What does this have to do with rng ? If it happens all the time which is the case it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Same with ISU squad wipes. You might not like the game mechanic but it's not luck related at all because it's happening consistently.

Dullahan is right the better player wins. The only games that could theoretically be decided by extreme rng occurrences are already close in the first place.
27 Oct 2015, 19:55 PM

Permanently Banned

That isn't really RNG. RNG implies some randomness, being caught off guard by something vaporizing when its not the typical outcome. We already know centaurs and crocs should be avoided by infantry at all costs because they fuck shit up 100% of the time, because balance. :hansREKT:

Well if a Centaur insta wipes a squad, yet has to take 4 bursts to kill the other one and kills another one in 2 bursts, I call that RNG. Crocodoom is even worse, sometimes it killed one model on retreat by some miracle and other times you couldn't even hit retreat before your unit was dead.

That is what I call RNG
27 Oct 2015, 19:55 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2015, 19:53 PMGiaA

What does this have to do with rng ? If it happens all the time which is the case it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Same with ISU squad wipes. You might not like the game mechanic but it's not luck related at all because it's happening consistently.

Dullahan is right the better player wins. The only games that could theoretically be decided by extreme rng occurrences are already close in the first place.

That is what I call RNG
27 Oct 2015, 19:57 PM

That is what I call RNG

That's how coh works but it evens out in the end due to the sheer amount of RNG occurrences. People who use RNG as an excuse for losing are generally scrubs who can't face the fact that they were outplayed. I've never lost a game because of bad luck and I've played a lot of coh2.
27 Oct 2015, 20:00 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2015, 19:57 PMGiaA

That's how coh works but it evens out in the end due to the sheer amount of RNG occurrences. People who use RNG as an excuse for losing are generally scrubs who can't face the fact that they were outplayed. I've never lost a game because of bad luck and I've played a lot of coh2.

Sure. Just wait until some random number steals 2 or 3 of your squads, you will lose.

I don't believe you, but that is nothing you should worry about.
27 Oct 2015, 20:01 PM
Patrion 14

1/10? Seriously? WHy would anyone vote for 1/10?
Every tenth plane is crashin on your troops and makes you lose a game?
Or every tenth vehicle is abandoned?
Yea, sure :romeoPls:

RNG goes way further than plane crashes and abandoned vehicles...

RNG can decide if your squad hits an enemy squad or misses, which can make up for losing a squad, or elimination an enemy squad.

What about tanks penetrating and deflecting?

:romeoPls:
27 Oct 2015, 20:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2015, 20:01 PMStafkeh

RNG can decide if your squad hits an enemy squad or misses, which can make up for losing a squad, or elimination an enemy squad.

Yes, guess what that's how CoH works. It's one of the most basic ideas of the CoH franchise. RNG decides every single engagement. What you mean is LUCK rather than RNG.
27 Oct 2015, 20:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2015, 20:01 PMStafkeh

That RNG making Cons win agasint LMG Obers :p

Deflection and penetration are pure math. You have X % chance for doing so. 5 bounces in a row can be called RNG but single bounce? Not really.
On the other hand planes crashes have nothing to do with math - pure RNG.
27 Oct 2015, 22:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think people are talking about 3 different things: RNG which is the basis of COH2, flukes on the system (plane crashes, constant improbable rolls, abandoned vehicles, etc) and predictable rolls (see sniping retreating squads, ISU wiping squads, indirect fire landing middle of a full health squad and wiping it, last shot of a pak missing or deflecting, etc)

1- If a unit (Centaur/Flamer) evaporates squads on 1 or 1,5s theres no RNG there as the results are practically the same. Surviving for more than 4s would be RNG.

2- When you get a scatter shot from a pak, hit across the map your Katyusha/PW that's fucking :hansRNG: doing it's job. 2 snipers killed by 2 consecutive AT gun shots? :hansRNG: 5 deflections on a 20% roll? You get the deal. I consider this to happen 1/100

2- If i try to snipe the last model of a retreating squad without using abilities, well that's a 50/50 call, a flip coin, this is RNG. The normal one.
Using a Stuka dive bomb on a Katyusha and it been abandoned or getting a crit, while a lower chance, still enters this category.
27 Oct 2015, 23:01 PM

What's up with all these Anti-RNG threads lately?

RNG is not bad. It's just the current CoH2 system has bad implementation of RNG system.

Men of War, for example, allows you to control tank cannon to aim for enemy tank weak point. Although luck involves a little of where the shot land, it also helps player to minimize the chance of failure through using skill.
27 Oct 2015, 23:05 PM

RNG is not bad. It's just the current CoH2 system has bad implementation of RNG system.

Men of War, for example, allows you to control tank cannon to aim for enemy tank weak point. Although luck involves a little of where the shot land, it also helps player to minimize the chance of failure through using skill.

The only bad RNsG are the abandonment mechanism + plane crashing.

Missing a shot/bounce you name it was/is/will be part of the COH experience. No1 whined about it back in COH1 (even in tourney).
27 Oct 2015, 23:08 PM

The only bad RNsG are the abandonment mechanism + plane crashing.

Missing a shot/bounce you name it was/is/will be part of the COH experience. No1 whined about it back in COH1 (even in tourney).

Maybe my experience is different, because I never lose any match because of abandonment or plane crashing.
27 Oct 2015, 23:40 PM

Remove abandon vehicle and it will probably be 1-100
28 Oct 2015, 03:06 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Rarely I'd say closer to 1 in 100. If the game is down to a certain engagement that banks on whether your tank penetrates or not, you probably could have played better.

Its mostly down to whats OP, and whats getting abused, or getting outplayed.

This

RNG is there, it is how you cope with it that determines the outcome baring edge cases

So I voted 1/100
28 Oct 2015, 10:09 AM

In games of "equal outcome likeliness" (not really equal skill, but games where skill and the balance of the factions and the advantage of the map all combine to form a roughly equal chance of either player winning) I would say RNG decides a huge fraction of games. The larger the "probability of win" disparity is (e.g. by one player abusing OP things, by a map being very unfavorable to one faction, or by one player being much more skillful), the less likely RNG is to influence the outcome.

The higher the skill of both players, the more likely they are to be able to capitalize on small random advantages given to them by dicerolls, and imo the more likely it is to be the deciding factor. In low skill games it kind of is diluted by players being very passive and not knowing what to do half the time. Games where high skill players face lower skill players, RNG has minimal effect because the higher skill is much more important.
28 Oct 2015, 10:26 AM

The better player wins like 98% of the games, rest of the times something like a random plane crash on important units decides the game

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★