Login

russian armor

The MG42 hmg the best hmg?

26 Oct 2015, 22:50 PM

I've seen in multiple forums that generally the Ostheer mg42 is the best hmg. However I fail to see the appeal to it. The only thing I know it excels at is its firing arc, covering the most ground. But in terms of suppression the maximum suppresses before the first volley finishes and pins on the second. And if it needs to relocate its setup and teardown time are just a few seconds. It's dps seems higher too as it takes multiple volleys for the MG42 to kill a single model. And with that being said the vickers seems the be an mg42 on steroids having the firing ark of the 42 but the suppression and damage of a maxim. So my question is what are the strong points of the MG42?
26 Oct 2015, 22:57 PM

Vickers have NO suppression. That means 1 volks squad can crawl into vet 3 Vickers and dislodge it with flame nade.

HMG42 have insane accuracy, allowing it to wipe retreating squads with ease.

HMG42 have incendiary rounds, which grantees HMG42 in a building to win 1v1 vs vickers in a building or 1v2 maxims in buildings as well as making it good counter to light vehicles.

HMG42 magically teleports to a next guy on retreat, thus it successfully escapes in situations where other HMGs would be dead.

Thanks to its damage, it vets in no time.

Enough?
27 Oct 2015, 08:14 AM

The Mg42's base dmg is the lowest compared to other mgs, which makes it lose hmg fights from equal cover, but inc rounds makes this turn in to the Mg42s favor

But mg42s suppression is the best, comparing to vickers, the MG42 suppresses multiple spread out squads without needing to give attack orders for it to fire at other squads, but vickers can't suppress like that, you need to fire at the other squads or somethings gonna get through without being supressed
27 Oct 2015, 08:45 AM

mg34 cries in a corner
27 Oct 2015, 08:47 AM

Permanently Banned
mg34 cries in a corner
27 Oct 2015, 09:06 AM

My God!!! what a question is that.

Ost is not the strongest faction, but it's support weapons including its HMG, mortar, and AT gun are the best in the game (not sure though if pak40 is better than 6pdr)

If you wanna know how good mg42 is, trying playing brits and see how the vicker's suppression is

I love the mg42's sound! :) it's scary and beautiful :)
27 Oct 2015, 14:44 PM

I also see no appeal to it - I have the same opinion as the author of the post. With many ost units its similar. Legends about them make them strong, but when you look at real stats and battlefield performance they are usually worse than their allied counterparts. The thing is that very often they are used by really skilled players and that may make an impression of good equipment.
27 Oct 2015, 21:14 PM
Patrion 14

yes it is the best.
28 Oct 2015, 11:32 AM

I think MG42 is a poor gun, only you can pinned enemy platoon, you no wait kill any soldier. This morning for example, Sturdof, Vickers in building vs grenadiers in green cover... 4 grenadiers kill. Arhem, MG42 in building vs UK inf in green cover... my MG42 kill, this is the reality.
SU mortar is better that Ostheer mortar.
76pdr and 76zis is better that pak40.
SU sniper (2 people remember) is better than Ostheer sniper.
UK sniper is better Ostheer sniper
The list is endless.
7 Nov 2015, 09:28 AM

mg34 cries in a corner
7 Nov 2015, 12:17 PM

SU mortar is better that Ostheer mortar.
76zis is better that pak40.
The list is endless.

That's a bunch of BS, SU mortar is really bad (unless you are talking about 120mm, then it SHOULD be better), and PaK40 has better penetration than ZiS, and also has target weak point.
8 Nov 2015, 08:55 AM

SU 82mortar is more accurate and has 6 soldiers in crew, no 4.
I think penetration ZiS and PaK is similar, but ZiS crew is 6 and can to bomb.
9 Nov 2015, 08:26 AM

SU 82mortar is more accurate and has 6 soldiers in crew, no 4.
I think penetration ZiS and PaK is similar, but ZiS crew is 6 and can to bomb.

The ostheer mortar is a lot better than the Su one, having better accuracy and killing way more infantry

The pak40 is a little better than the Zis, but this goes down to which one you prefer, the stats are pretty much the same but target weak point is a lot better if we're talking about anti tank, but the Zis barrage has a lot of great uses also, anti inf and barraging enemy support weapons, but i would pretty much always choose pak40 over zis
V-T
12 Jan 2017, 11:35 AM

How i see it, the power lies in the suppression. Use Mg42 to pin enemy blob down, then rain some 81mm HE rounds on them. For example. At least i think so.

We can discuss which weapon is best in the light of stats (this has more DPS, this has more suppression, this has more penetration etc.) The 'bestness' lies in _how_ you use it.

Maybe Maxim is better in attack support, as it sets up faster, so when following your infantry, it can quickly start pissin' on enemy infantry it meets. Maybe it sucks in every other aspect... maybe.

Personally i think HMGs should be the showstopper for enemy infantry attacks, at least slow the advance down to buy more time to react or to force a retreat. So, defensively the Mg42 is propably the best.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 56
Russian Federation 33

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment