Login

russian armor

Is heavy artillery not a necessary role?

24 Sep 2015, 12:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2015, 12:17 PMJohnnyB

It's not about defending anything, the idea is that an axis defensive line is more breakable, that's the whole point. Allied have more cheap units while not being less effective, bigger crews and stronger emplacements plus better balistic weapons. In addition, the sinergy between allied armies both in attack and defense is bigger and lead to more efficient results. It is generaly believed axis field better armor, but the differences aren't that big anymore once british entered into the picture, and the prices for wich axis get their heavy toys are discouraging. Plus, the heavies' limitations. For comparison, is churchill limited on one unit at a time on the map? Well, Tiger/Elefant/JagdTiger are.

I like how you mention bigger crews when it applies to literally ONE army in game.

Twice the amusment considering that except brit 6-pounder every single weapon team is equally or more expensive then axis counterpart, so its axis who actually have more cheap units while not being less effective.
24 Sep 2015, 13:05 PM
Benefactor 351

That doesn't solve the problem anymore then the priest or sexton already does. They will be doctrinal, therefore not always available. Meaning you can't adapt properly if you don't choose those specific doctrines.

For example if I don't choose a soviet doctrine with the ML-20, I can still always pull out a katyusha. Likewise with whermacht. But not for USF and UKF. No artillery doctrine means absolutely no access to heavier indirect.
the British have there own arty in Base use ur infantry to call it in
24 Sep 2015, 13:26 PM

Which is about as effective and efficient as M-42 AT gun, is impossible to use offensively without arty regiment and is incredibly cost inefficient and have diminished barrage effectiveness(less shells) with arty regiment.
24 Sep 2015, 13:29 PM

Maybe I'm weird, but I usually want to get a heavy indirect unit when I want to hurt something that isn't in range of my infantry.
24 Sep 2015, 15:47 PM

Honestly a huge part of the reason why OKW (and to a lesser extent Ostheer) has been so underwater lately is artillery proliferation. Which kind of makes me hesitant to say we need to add even more. Yeah making the Sexton not shit is good but USF already has a huge leg up on OKW in 1v1 and 2v2 so making it so that USF has an even huger lead is not a good idea IMO.

I mean you can say it's part of OKW's core design to be super weak to artillery, but it kind of sucks losing a game because your enemy just got enough uncounterable artillery on his side to blow your ass back to the stone age.
24 Sep 2015, 23:20 PM

I mean you can say it's part of OKW's core design to be super weak to artillery, but it kind of sucks losing a game because your enemy just got enough uncounterable artillery on his side to blow your ass back to the stone age.

Speaking of uncounterable artillery... there is a particular unit in the OKW faction which has caused this enormous demand for USF and UKF counter-fire possibilities.
25 Sep 2015, 00:01 AM

Speaking of uncounterable artillery... there is a particular unit in the OKW faction which has caused this enormous demand for USF and UKF counter-fire possibilities.

Are you talking about the ISG? Because countering it is hard until you get heavier artillery but it's pretty much assumed the Pack howi and ISG will be reworked, neither are heavy indirect fire.

The Stuka Zu Fuss is pretty much unseen in 1v1 and 2v2 due to it's very high cost and the fact OKW can't really afford to just not make vehicles for 10+ minutes to get one since no vehicle means the enemy can push you off easier. Even so avoiding it's attacks isn't impossible and I don't know how having artillery in USF or UKF would counter it?

Regardless USF has the best howitzer in the game at the moment, best AoE profile, best direct hit damage, able to be moved to reduce scatter and avoid Stuka bomb strikes, and they can be decrewed so you don't need to pay the popcap for them since the barrage recharges while they are decrewed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★