Login

russian armor

For all of our griping, RNG does one thing very well

22 Sep 2015, 04:45 AM

For all the headaches RNG gives us, it, in turn, gives us some of the most butt-clenching suspenseful moments in competitive RTS history (I think). Watching OCF yesterday was really fun and I was on the edge of my seat all day screaming (internally) "MAKE THAT LAST SHOT!!!" or "DODGE!!!" What I'm getting at is, as a viewer, seeing turnarounds or seeing how a game can be flipped on its head is sure fun as a viewer as long as you don't take sides.

I watched a lot of competitive SC2 a long time ago, and it doesn't give you the same suspense as watching a CoH2 match. You know how the game is going to play out from the opening 2 minutes of the game because there is no RNG. Every battle is decided before it begins. You know the stats of each fucking Oracle or Zealot, and you know the stats of a Zergling and a Hydralisk. You know exactly how big a blob needs to be to win against another blob.

League of legends is the same way. You know which team is going to win before they fight, due to their general skill level and who gets first blood. The moment a team has about a 2k gold lead on another team, the match is decided. The next 20 minutes is a snorefest as they pull further and further ahead. A comeback is close to impossible due to the nature of the game. Really, watching SC2 and LoL was a really good way to get me to fall asleep if I have trouble going to bed. No joke.

But CoH2 is fun to watch from beginning to end. The game are full of butt-clenchingly intense moments and seeing the shift in battle if a pz 4 manages to miss a couple of essential shots, or an ML20 getting a REALLY good hit dead-center in a group of infantry, or maybe a skillplane wrecking a defensive squad, cracking the fortifications wide open, really gets you pumped. Especially Sprice v. Symbiosis, the last few minutes of that match were some of the most exhilarating moments of my time watching e-sports, especially compounded with the whole "exploit v. legit" divide.

Sure, it might not be so fun being on the receiving end of RNG, I've raged a few times seeing a full squad get wiped in 1 Pz4 shot. It might not even be fun to watch if you're really, REALLY rooting for a side that gets shat on by RNG. But if you want to watch an intense match where upsets happen, and where milliseconds seem like decades as you pray that that wounded JP4 gets away from that ZiS wall, and where you sit at the edge of your seat from the beginnig to the end, then CoH2 is a competitive RTS that is second to none. Don't you think so? I pray that RNG sticks to some extent, because CoH2 really fills that niche for me.

TL;DR: RNG makes watching CoH2 fun as fuck.
22 Sep 2015, 04:48 AM

I agree ...wholeheartedly
22 Sep 2015, 05:00 AM

This, this, this, 100 times this. CoH 2 is fun and exhilirating because of the RNG. It's why I refuse to believe people who want it stripped out are long time fans. It's the heart and soul of CoH, it's CoH's defining feature.

It leads to some of the most exhilarating experiences ever. Praise RNGesus lord of us all!
22 Sep 2015, 05:18 AM

Praise RNGesus!
22 Sep 2015, 05:31 AM

People only bitch about rng when it goes against them.
22 Sep 2015, 05:39 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

I think most people have made peace with a lot of the RNG like shots penetrating or not, the scatter on mortars etc.

What people wanted removed were the terrible RNG events like plane crashes (the incidence and impact of which has been greatly reduced) and vehicle death crits (also removed relatively recently)
22 Sep 2015, 06:13 AM

I think most people have made peace with a lot of the RNG like shots penetrating or not, the scatter on mortars etc.

What people wanted removed were the terrible RNG events like plane crashes (the incidence and impact of which has been greatly reduced) and vehicle death crits (also removed relatively recently)

the USF bazooka is my exception. yea they made it cheaper but it still cant do jack shit against anything bigger than an ostwind. and it seems to miss far more often than a panzershreck even at close range!
22 Sep 2015, 06:59 AM

I couldn't agree more. The day RNG is out, is the day COH becomes another boring RTS.
22 Sep 2015, 07:00 AM
Benefactor 392

i had a plane crash on my t-70 and did nothing. plane crashes are no longer nuclear bombs Praise relic gods.
22 Sep 2015, 07:28 AM
22 Sep 2015, 07:29 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

All the fun of a gambling addiction at a fraction of the price. Now with huge explosions!
22 Sep 2015, 07:33 AM

As Tightrope says - the most of us don't have any problem with the most of the RNG in the game. The problem is game-breaking RNG like plane crashes (which are ok now) or for examples abandonment. Or when a mortar drops directly onto a sniper and he doesn't even receive damage. That's another kind of RNG.
But certain RNG makes the game fun to watch indeed.
24 Sep 2015, 09:38 AM

Your argument is a little skewed. I've seen plenty of SC games that involve come backs, same with dota ( I don't play lol but imagine its the same in this regard).

You don't need RNG to have the possibility of comebacks and at least with these games you can put the reason for the comeback on the players skill as opposed to a plane randomly wiping a squad or a sniper getting insta gibbed by an AT gun.

RNG is obviously necessary in coh to an extent. Infantry weapons must have rng, mortars must have scatter, tanks must have penetrating/non penetrating hits etc. But some stuff is just ridiculous and brings nothing to the game.
24 Sep 2015, 12:02 PM

It's not about the presence of RNG, it's about your plane crashing on your goddamn army, your kuble taking 4 SU85 hits, your ISG wiping a full hp 4 man squad, it's about a KT surviving 6 ATGs, it's about Every battle tells a story... :snfQuinn:

RNG is the signature of this game, RNG is even present in a lot of games, Hell, even CS:GO has a tiny bit RNG (and all other FPS titles). Some RNG mechanics need tweaks.
24 Sep 2015, 12:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Sep 2015, 12:02 PMRMMLz
It's not about the presence of RNG, it's about your plane crashing on your goddamn army, your kuble taking 4 SU85 hits, your ISG wiping a full hp 4 man squad, it's about a KT surviving 6 ATGs, it's about Every battle tells a story... :snfQuinn:

RNG is the signature of this game, RNG is even present in a lot of games, Hell, even CS:GO has a tiny bit RNG (and all other FPS titles). Some RNG mechanics need tweaks.

IS-2 survinging 4x 2 shots of rakettenwerfers + Commandpanther + command panther mark target and retreats with a slimmer of health (Kappa?!?)
24 Sep 2015, 12:49 PM

Praise RNG ... some of the funniest poop happens because of it.
Being able to mitigate the RNG in this game is what champions are made of.
24 Sep 2015, 12:55 PM
24 Sep 2015, 15:53 PM

24 Sep 2015, 17:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Exactly.
Theres mild interesting RNG which can be played around and then we have unstable portal levels of RNG.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★