Login

russian armor

So when is CAS being addressed?

19 Sep 2015, 15:47 PM

I honestly am sick to death of this commander.

There is no single commander in the game that has more of a gimmicky and ridiculously broken synergy of abilities. I just played a match against 2 of these guys and its enough to make you want to uninstall the game and never bother with it again.

First of all: why is the fuel conversion instantaneous?

Even if he had to go and pick up a fucking box it would at least mean that he couldn't just recon, hit the magic ammo button and proceed to bomb, strafe, or anti tank you all in one go.

Secondly: why was this commander even put into the game?

The idea behind this commander is "close air support" okay... well he functions as a "fuck everything" commander instead. There is a reason why ALL OF THE ABILITIES of a commander don't synergize to give you the ability to single handedly nuke everything on the map.

On top of that is the wonderful side bonus of being able to field and endless blob of panzer grenadiers which shrek all allied armor to rubble and almost immediately vet up wherein those rockets become heat seeking.

Lastly: why did you give one commander the ability to build one type of caches but get the flexible benefit from both types?

This to me is insane. You have to make a choice: ammo or fuel, but then you put a mechanic in that lets you flexibly decide which you need. The OKW has to make this sacrifice in the form of a truck and reduced economy, but this commander can just decide what he needs and when. It's a ludicrous advantage.

When I play Germans, which is pretty much all I play, I pick this guy every single time because frankly there isn't a single downside to being able to globally affect the map. One is a problem, two or more is basically a waste of fucking time for the allies to even bother trying to play. Not to mention it sucks all of the fun out of the match as bombs and recon are happening every single second.

The CAS commander is the best in the game for a reason: it is a stupid idea implemented in the worst possible way, and I really want to see this addressed before moving on to some of the less important aspects of the game. Fix the bugs, and fix this guy in the process, please for the love of God.
19 Sep 2015, 15:52 PM

I don't see this commander very often, since it was nerfed.
Imho the increased delay and reduced conversion have balanced it.
19 Sep 2015, 15:53 PM
Patrion 14

i agree
19 Sep 2015, 15:53 PM

Back when the AA halftrack had AA mode, whenever someone used this commander the only thing that happened was the map looked awesome with crashing planes.

The commander was addressed 2 patches ago. There is a clear delay between the smoke and the planes coming in now, giving time to retreat/respond.

The commander may be a little too powerful at the moment, but i think the AA ability of units needs to be upped a bit - really the commander should be fairly powerful if the enemy has no AA on field, but nearly useless if the enemy does.
19 Sep 2015, 15:56 PM

It's kinda okayish in 1v1, there is better choices for this format, but in other formats especially big ones its very hard to play against it. 4v4 with 2 or 3 CASes is nightmare especially in premade vs premade. The main problem is that most of AA can't do anything against CAS.
19 Sep 2015, 15:59 PM

The only change I saw was the decrease in the damage time on the anti tank strafe which was only a small part of the problem.

Strafe on this commander costs: 60 munitions. It hits almost instantly and if used correctly forces you to retreat or stop capping a point.

Dive Bomb can single handedly wreck both british and americans by destroying both the ambulance/major or the forward HQ and emplacements.

Anti Tank strafe is STILL horribly deadly against static targets and infantry groups alike. There are times when you simply can't your tank to path correctly and okay maybe it wont die instantly but its still going to be near death after the first plane hits.

More importantly the whole shrek meta thing is still very much an issue in the game.

Plus it gets to be beyond frustrating when every time you see a recon plane you have to frantically move every single unit because you know a dive bomb is coming next. If you have two of these commanders, just quit and find something else to do.
19 Sep 2015, 16:26 PM

Its a stupid gimmick commander. Ever other commander call in is a tangible asset you can kill or counter, but this commander can click a button at the start of almost every engagement and open a portal to summon a stuka to strafe the enemy for an instant win. The fucking mines EVERYWHERE was obnoxious too.

Having said that I dont see it much anymore. Maybe a few people since it was nerfed.
19 Sep 2015, 16:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2015, 15:56 PMnewvan
It's kinda okayish in 1v1, there is better choices for this format, but in other formats especially big ones its very hard to play against it. 4v4 with 2 or 3 CASes is nightmare especially in premade vs premade. The main problem is that most of AA can't do anything against CAS.

Agree, the problem is it is utterly impossible to balance a game for every single game mode. Relic has made it clear a balance for one versus one primarily and that is as it should be. You are never going to be able to balance large team games and one versus one without two whole separate installs because there is so much more fuel and ammo in 4 versus 4 for instance that you can simply spam lots of things that would be impossible in one versus one
19 Sep 2015, 16:43 PM

Agree, the problem is it is utterly impossible to balance a game for every single game mode. Relic has made it clear a balance for one versus one primarily and that is as it should be. You are never going to be able to balance large team games and one versus one without two whole separate installs because there is so much more fuel and ammo in 4 versus 4 for instance that you can simply spam lots of things that would be impossible in one versus one

It isn't my point. It could be fixed for all formats. Change resource conversion, to make it less flexible or make 1, 3 and 4 ability valuable for AA so you could counter them with couple of AA with very high chance - done.
19 Sep 2015, 17:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Since the double nerf (convertion rate and plane arrival) and i think it's fine.
19 Sep 2015, 20:40 PM

I believe reconnaissance defeats the purpose of "close" air support since you can recon the enemy's base and drop some big fucking bombs on their retreating squads. Although recon is still defined as "close" air support by itself, the application of both recon and bombs to attack far-away entities is not. I think the theme can be applied more effectively as a whole with the removal of the recon plane.
aaa
19 Sep 2015, 20:56 PM

absolutely bs commander. Blatantly OP
19 Sep 2015, 21:18 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2015, 20:56 PMaaa
absolutely bs commander. Blatantly OP

Agreed.

19 Sep 2015, 22:54 PM

i find it this very ironic because air superiority should go to the allies but instead it's the opposite which is quite depressing.
20 Sep 2015, 04:38 AM

Just played a 2v2 against a double Ostheer team that were both using CAS, against a Sov/US mixed allies comprising of my mate and I.

It's just infuriating. Even my two Vet 3 Para 1919 squads were just getting mulched by this dude's Grenadier LMG42 blob of death, which he'd immediately follow up with the Panzergrenadier Schrek blobs in order to kill my Shermans and Scots. And as if that wasn't enough, they cached up all game behind their lines and then just utterly annihilated my Jacksons between his Panthers and his Panzergrens. Had a Sherman get instantly killed by the AT Loiter, too. Just ridiculous. And whenever he was close to losing an engagement, he'd just spam all of his abilities and force a retreat with his I Win buttons, and then use that time to run the roaming GrenBlob back into the frey.

Gimmicky, stupid, and blatantly unfun to play against.
20 Sep 2015, 07:08 AM

When ostheer is buffed and brought in line with other factions.

Follow the guidelines if you want the devs to take you seriously.
20 Sep 2015, 08:11 AM

In teamgames this commander is seriously overpowered. I cannot comment on the usability of this commander in 1v1 mode but this commander gets you a lot of get-out-of-jail-free cards in almost any situation.

Especially as you see happen in many teammates, its the axis incentive to have fuel caches quickly. in the longer run these caches grant you an surplus amount of fuel that with the CAS commander you can easily keep conversion into ammo for the abilities and ammo for shrecks etc. The result is you'll see less armor, but more shreck blobs that can be re-outiftted if need be. That makes this commander overpowered. Also the stuka dive bomb can be used to " uncap" VP's at your desire.

Using this commander is knowing that you'll always have some trump cards to play. Going against this commander means having to invest in proper AA and expect shrike blobs. No fun tbh.

Proposed fix is the fuel to ammo conversion from current state to either of 2 options.

1. instead of instant conversion, a slightly (30 / 40 ammo less) smaller conversion over a period of time.
2. Instant, but less amount of ammo conversion. (don't know what a good number would be. but around 20 / 30 % less )
3. (as a fix to teamgames in whole, effectively making this commander also more in line with others) no more shared resources from caches for all team members.

21 Sep 2015, 02:19 AM
Donator 11

CAS is a strong, but not as OP as it was.
21 Sep 2015, 03:37 AM

I'm not sure if it's really OP any more, but it's definitely not fun to play against. It adds to your micro tax substantially when you need to constantly dodge strikes, AA provides absolutely no counterplay like it would if they had loitering strikes that were more expensive, and it encourages Gren + Panzergren blobbing with LMG42 and Panzerschreck upgrades. It's like a perfect snapshot of bad design decisions.
21 Sep 2015, 04:36 AM

Only morons cannot dodge the air strikes now
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 34
Peru 15
unknown 6
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W