Login

russian armor

KV8's Flamers

15 Jun 2013, 01:12 AM

What's everyone's experience with the KV8's flamethrower?

I find its ability to guarantee a kill on any squad of infantry that's close enough to fire off a faust a bit over the top. It managed to kill my entire vet army in under half a minute.

The moment the first burst hit, over half the squad just went up in flames. Even units retreating at full health just drop dead from one or two bursts from it.

I think this thing needs to get looked at.
15 Jun 2013, 02:05 AM

By the time the KV-8 hits the field, not only will you have Paks but you probably would have T3 armour which the KV-8 has 0% chance of doing any damage to.

So I think it's perfectly fine, Just don't expect to use Fausts on it though.
15 Jun 2013, 03:51 AM

it is just as deadly as the flametrack twin flamethrowers i find, its just alot harder to kill :P
15 Jun 2013, 08:35 AM

They are really slow and can't against tanks.

So build tanks and shoot faust to them.

Then they can't do anything.
15 Jun 2013, 09:53 AM

I find that the flamethrower halftrack takes longer to kill squads. You can actually get an AT nade off on it, and retreating squads don't instantly die either. The KV8 kills you before you can faust, or any of your tanks could scratch it.
15 Jun 2013, 11:38 AM

It deals 40 damage per second and has a very long burst duration. It deals more than three times as much damage as an infantry flame thrower (13 vs. 40) as well as more than double the damage of the two flame throwers of the halftrack combined (2x10 vs. 40).

I think instead of decreasing its survivability it should have its damage decreased.
16 Jun 2013, 04:15 AM

It deals 40 damage per second and has a very long burst duration. It deals more than three times as much damage as an infantry flame thrower (13 vs. 40) as well as more than double the damage of the two flame throwers of the halftrack combined (2x10 vs. 40).

I think instead of decreasing its survivability it should have its damage decreased.

It shouldn't be nerfed.

Consider this. You are making an investment in a tank more expensive than 2 SU-76s or 2 T-34s which doesn't do any damage whatsoever against tanks.

If the damage was reduced, it would more or less be useless. It can't kill infantry any better than shock troops.

And also, please don't use the argument of "you can't faust it, therefore OP" which it isn't. There are plenty of counters to the KV-8 at that stage of the game.
16 Jun 2013, 07:13 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Still, a unit that kills your whole army on retreat is a unit that needs some tuning, at least on retreating units.
16 Jun 2013, 10:53 AM

I dont hear Germans complaining about hte flametrack flaming down retreating units. 3 squads on cons and sniper, moment i saw the flametrack flank me i T'd everything (no at nades) i lost 2 squads of cons, my snipers and the other squad was reduced to 3....
16 Jun 2013, 11:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2013, 10:53 AMCrells
I dont hear Germans complaining about hte flametrack flaming down retreating units. 3 squads on cons and sniper, moment i saw the flametrack flank me i T'd everything (no at nades) i lost 2 squads of cons, my snipers and the other squad was reduced to 3....

On this note; I'm having a really hard time countering the flametrack. TIps anyone?
16 Jun 2013, 11:45 AM

Permanently Banned
@Crells: All vehicle carried flame effects are currently too effective at retreat killing.

Happy now?
16 Jun 2013, 11:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2013, 11:45 AMNullist
@Crells: All vehicle carried flame effects are currently too effective at retreat killing.

Happy now?

Except the KV-8. It's a tad too slow to do this. It's tanky but far slower than the German HT (which, IMO, prior to the previous balance patch was broken - not only could it reinforce, it just shreded Russian infantry).

Although I agree, maybe better retreat bonuses should be given for retreating units? Similar to the COH1 ones I guess. It's kinda hard to balance that part though. On the one hand, it has to get away if it can without being shot down too easily. On the other hand, it musn't be too high such that a 1 pixel health Gren squad can survive on retreat.

16 Jun 2013, 12:49 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Please watch this video from the point marked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbuKp-ZCTag&feature=player_detailpage#t=1090s

That was absolutely not fair if we want to be honest to each other, it didn't require any skill to click once the movement button on that tank to see my whole squads dying while I kept retreating them. As I said it must be turned down the damage/accuracy/criticals/whatyouwant vs retreating units.
16 Jun 2013, 12:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2013, 11:45 AMNullist

Happy now?

The KV-8 as pointed out is not quick enough to chase you down. the m3 with CE can A) be killed inside the vehicle, though slower, and B) it is extremly easy to kill to all forms of AT, you faust it and it will be backing away, if it chases a retreating squad too long you can move another form of at to bring it down.

The flametrack is hard to bring down, at nades do little damage to it, it can surive to shots from a zis giving it more than enough time to back away.

I agree that flames in general are too strong vs retreating infantry but the flametrack is the worst of the worst in this regard.
16 Jun 2013, 12:53 PM

Permanently Banned
Doesnt change the fact that KV8 is too effective at retreat killing also.
16 Jun 2013, 13:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2013, 12:49 PMCrells

The KV-8 as pointed out is not quick enough to chase you down.

Yes it is. Watch the video.

While not able to catch up up, it can just about keep up.
16 Jun 2013, 14:46 PM

Yes it is. Watch the video.

While not able to catch up up, it can just about keep up.

True it can almost keep up but also its a t3 unit where the halfrack is t2. By time kv8 is out doing damage you should easily have s stug to deal with it. For t2 soviets don't have that luxury they only have infantry to deal with an infantry killer.
16 Jun 2013, 15:46 PM

Permanently Banned
Again, still doesn't change the fact that KV8 is too effective at retreat killing also.

Why do people repeatedly keep trying to turn this into a "but HT is worse!!1" thread.
16 Jun 2013, 19:09 PM

Probably because the HT is non doctrinal, comes out in t2 and is extremly hard to counter. if you loose 2 sqauds when the kv8 comes out you should have some vehicles to try and counter it, however when the HT pops it head, unless you have been really good at denying muni's the soviets only have AT nades and possibly a Zis which will only work if you can nade it and to make that even harder they nerfed the range on the AT nade.

That is why people think the HT is worse than the KV-8.

Once more i am on the side that should all be nerfed.
16 Jun 2013, 20:46 PM

Permanently Banned
Who cares which is "worse".

This is a KV8 Flamer thread.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 36
unknown 24
Poland 12
unknown 6
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10