Login

russian armor

Osttruppen/ Storm troopers

14 Aug 2015, 02:40 AM
Donator 33

Partisans, Irregulars, RE, all the same boat if not worse. All factions need neglected infantry units to be utilized, above all USF. Rifles! Rifles everywhere! Thread should expand on that point.
14 Aug 2015, 03:01 AM

RE are not in the same boat as Partisans and Irregulars, RE are cheap and have uses.
14 Aug 2015, 03:51 AM

the stormtroopers themselves are amazing, but the doctrine in general is a bit of a one trick pony.

If they were in a more straight forward powerful doctrine, they would be used alot more often.
14 Aug 2015, 04:23 AM
Donator 33

Apply the bad commander good unit logic to half the underused items in the game lol.
14 Aug 2015, 06:09 AM

Ostruppen get rekt so hard due to 1.25 received accuracy. They were nice when they had shit dps, but could absorb hits and crew weapons. But now anything you recrew keep the 1.25 received acc. On top of everything else OP said.

Either reduce cost 180 mp. Or remove 25% increased received accuracy. Or lower it.

Storms, make stgs 50 muni.

I storngly have to disagree on this point. Because of the vast vetting + fast reinforcement time osttruppen don't have any negatives from that. If you use osttruppen T2 is like 99% a must because of the halftrack. Osttrupen without a halftrack is not going to whitstand, unless there's an FHQ at the back somewhere.
14 Aug 2015, 06:14 AM

the stormtroopers themselves are amazing, but the doctrine in general is a bit of a one trick pony.

If they were in a more straight forward powerful doctrine, they would be used alot more often.

Pretty much this. Encirclement is supposed to be all about setting up for Close the Pocket, which when executed properly is devastating. That being said, if Stormtroopers were buffed a bit the commander might see some more use. The tactical assault with the STG is rather potent and sort of justifies the cost of the STG upgrade but could still def. use a bit of a reduction IMO.
14 Aug 2015, 08:57 AM

You can hypothetically use Storms as your mainline infantry. Sure no LMG or Faust, but you get camo, Panzgren received acc, free ambush camo, and sprint.

MP44 package should get a price buff.

Only hypotetically. In the real life, that is a good way to lose the game through manpower and amo bleed. So thanks, but no thanks. Stormtroopers are the verry expression of ostheer (and in general Axis)' burden: to expensive, can't afford to lose them, if you do lose them, you almost lost the game.

Efficiency through cost effectiveness, that wins the game, not fancy elite units that are most of the time on the run, because if you lose one model you have to scram or expose yourself to a high squad wipe risk.
14 Aug 2015, 09:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2015, 08:57 AMJohnnyB

Only hypotetically. In the real life, that is a good way to lose the game through manpower and amo bleed. So thanks, but no thanks. Stormtroopers are the verry expression of ostheer (and in general Axis)' burden: to expensive, can't afford to lose them, if you do lose them, you almost lost the game.

Efficiency through cost effectiveness, that wins the game, not fancy elite units that are most of the time on the run, because if you lose one model you have to scram or expose yourself to a high squad wipe risk.

What menpower bleed?
They cost as much as grens to reinforce while being considerably harder to kill.
14 Aug 2015, 09:34 AM

I would like more variations of Osttruppen in future commanders.

With CoH 2's approach of more commanders, repeating call-ins with slight variations are accepted. Exampes are: The USF Recon Paratroopers, the I&C Pathfinders or ... the Osttruppen variant in Mobile defense.
I would like more Osttruppen because the unit deserves to be seen more. I think it should be seen more because it is well designed. I think it is well designed because voice-acting and the 3d model are well made. Also, the unit is very recognizable and has a unique character in its voice acting. Furthermore it helps give Ostheer a very unique eastern front feel to set it apart from OKW.

However, I dislike the design of Stormtroopers (and Jaegers for that matter). The voice acting is too different, the model is only a PGren reskin. I don't want any more iterations of Storm Troopers/Jaegers etc.

Another unit that could be repeated in future doctrines is Panzerfusiliers, as their theme is very generic. I also wouldn't opposse more US Paratrooper variants (like the ones in Recon Company) as Airborne units have a fantastic 3d model and are also very iconic for WW2 US.
14 Aug 2015, 11:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2015, 09:14 AMKatitof

What menpower bleed?
They cost as much as grens to reinforce while being considerably harder to kill.

How about use them once actually to see what I am talking about. The only way to put them in your build order is using one - max two squads with upgrades and all. Building more and trying to use them as mainline infantry is stupid and generally a waste of manpower/amo. Elite infantry is not for main army force. Cheap medium infantry is.
14 Aug 2015, 14:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2015, 11:13 AMJohnnyB

How about use them once actually to see what I am talking about. The only way to put them in your build order is using one - max two squads with upgrades and all. Building more and trying to use them as mainline infantry is stupid and generally a waste of manpower/amo. Elite infantry is not for main army force. Cheap medium infantry is.

If they came at 0 CP it may be possible. But by the time you get them you can't afford to build an entire new infantry force :P
14 Aug 2015, 17:36 PM

Aside from sprint, Encirclement is a bit meh. And even then, the sprint is only really good on the Ostheer sniper, who gets pretty fecking lol'sy with it.

Storm troopers eat munitions like nothing else, although they are very good with the camo+STG assault combo, just expensive as feck.

The lone shreck with 3 rifles is meh. Very meh.

Ostruppen, 40 mp less then the best basic infantry in the game, who are in the same faction roster and scale like a good thing with the LMG upgrade. Yeah, I think Grens might be winning that comparison :)

14 Aug 2015, 18:04 PM
Patrion 14

When I go encirclement, I get 2 grens, 2 mg, and a mortar in T1, then build 2 storms for the STGs. This is especially good now that the 222 comes with the autocannon, so light vehicles (besides to M5) are less of a threat. Usually I pop the storms into "enemy" buildings before I upgrade them, so They can get vet.
16 Aug 2015, 14:55 PM

Ostruppen can get the cover bonus when they use trenches, but only if you deploy the trench on yellow destroyed ground,
16 Aug 2015, 15:39 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Ostruppen can get the cover bonus when they use trenches, but only if you deploy the trench on yellow destroyed ground,

Reallllly now? Sounds like something that could be related to the bug on how no AT guns get auto-heavy-cover anymore.
16 Aug 2015, 15:41 PM

The unit itself is good, the problem is the doctrine in which they are stuck with.

They are extremly versatile; can either ambush and use their increased ROF ability or afford full frontal engagements thanks to their reinforcement cost and low RA, unlike PGrens who are pretty much stuck at dealing with AT or bleeding off your ass out of manpower.

16 Aug 2015, 16:01 PM
Donator 11

Just tested them out few times now and especially with the attack ability (better acc.) they are pretty damn strong...
But the 100 ammunition upgrade is definitely way too expensive.

Would love to see some sort of elite meta inf in the Ostheer... (alternative to Vet 3 LMG Grens... would bring more variety)

and I really hope to see them in some new doctrines coming with the brits. (maybe there are some new ones)
16 Aug 2015, 18:54 PM
Patrion 28

i think that's a bug. RETs in fighting positions built on red cover get the red cover icon over their heads but they have garrison cover. i assume osttruppen have the same issue.
16 Aug 2015, 23:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2015, 16:01 PMSwonVIP
Just tested them out few times now and especially with the attack ability (better acc.) they are pretty damn strong...
But the 100 ammunition upgrade is definitely way too expensive.

Would love to see some sort of elite meta inf in the Ostheer... (alternative to Vet 3 LMG Grens... would bring more variety)

and I really hope to see them in some new doctrines coming with the brits. (maybe there are some new ones)

Ostheer elite infantry meta used to be pgrens :foreveralone:
17 Aug 2015, 17:32 PM
Donator 11

Ostheer elite infantry meta used to be pgrens :foreveralone:

:foreveralone:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 803
unknown 20

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias