Login

russian armor

How to deal with blobs

14 Aug 2015, 03:19 AM

I don't really think blobbing is a problem. In the end it's just concentration of force minus any tactics. You can always beat a blob using tactics as long as it isn't significantly larger than your force. If it is, then you lost the fight not to your enemy's tactical acuity but instead their economic and strategic superiority.

Just a couple days ago I wiped four rifle squads with a single minefield. There's no reason to lose to a blobber.
14 Aug 2015, 10:50 AM

Blobs is part of any RTS Game, it will be more simple to micro, but its a huge risk.

- SC2 : Banelings/Siege Tanks, Colossus (etc) says hi to blobs
- AOE : Catapult say Hi to blob
- C&C Generals : A lot of aoe weapon available say hi to blob
- Coh2: MG's, Artys, Mines, Demos (etc) say Hi to blob

So just use the tools that exist in the game...
15 Aug 2015, 12:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Aug 2015, 10:50 AMBlalord
Blobs is part of any RTS Game, it will be more simple to micro, but its a huge risk.

- SC2 : Banelings/Siege Tanks, Colossus (etc) says hi to blobs
- AOE : Catapult say Hi to blob
- C&C Generals : A lot of aoe weapon available say hi to blob
- Coh2: MG's, Artys, Mines, Demos (etc) say Hi to blob

So just use the tools that exist in the game...

i agree BUT allied HMGs dont do their job properly,their too weak and cant suppress a huge blob,they also die by blobs(lmgs,wipe mortar nades).

while you an try to keep alive the maxim with conscripts(and make it deadly),the american m2hb .50cal dies too fast even with green cover.

this makes counterblobing with the allies a mess
15 Aug 2015, 13:30 PM

i agree BUT allied HMGs dont do their job properly,their too weak and cant suppress a huge blob,they also die by blobs(lmgs,wipe mortar nades).

while you an try to keep alive the maxim with conscripts(and make it deadly),the american m2hb .50cal dies too fast even with green cover.

this makes counterblobing with the allies a mess

The maxim is fine, it is cheap can come early and with 6 men is very survivable, plus the suppression boost helped it out a lot. The 50cal could see some survivability love through either a 5th man or removal of its received accuracy.

The problem with giving allies MGs that are just as good as the Germans is that their early game spam can cap points then their MGs could make an unpassable wall. Supported by their early game vehicles and the Axis factions wouldn't stand a chance.

I have also seen plenty of Allied blobs be able to run through MG fields to flank them. Riflemen blob can deal overwhelm MG42s and the MG43 has peanuts for damage.
15 Aug 2015, 15:58 PM

The maxim is fine, it is cheap can come early and with 6 men is very survivable, plus the suppression boost helped it out a lot. The 50cal could see some survivability love through either a 5th man or removal of its received accuracy.

The problem with giving allies MGs that are just as good as the Germans is that their early game spam can cap points then their MGs could make an unpassable wall. Supported by their early game vehicles and the Axis factions wouldn't stand a chance.

I have also seen plenty of Allied blobs be able to run through MG fields to flank them. Riflemen blob can deal overwhelm MG42s and the MG43 has peanuts for damage.

well sure they shouldnt be spammable,if we buff more the suppression of the maxim then increase the price i and many other players wouldnt mind paying 290-300mp for a decent HMG.
i am glad we agree with the durability of the .50cal needs buffs(personaly this is the best option other then make it instapin enemy blobs)
15 Aug 2015, 20:01 PM

Im always thinking about maxim as conscript squad without at nade and with hiher recieved accuracy in exchange of superior weapon (maxim)
15 Aug 2015, 20:47 PM

The Maxim is in a good place now. It's excellent at suppression and very durable thanks to the 6 man squad. The 240mp price also means that soviet players can always have a couple on the field to help make up for the smaller cone of fire. Same goes for the MG42 thanks to its incredible suppression and cone of fire.

USF and OKW need some love however. The .50 at a minimum needs a 5th man to make it survivable enough to deal with lmg blobs. The fact that a USF player has to choose between a MG and AT gun is a major problem as well. OKW meanwhile just needs a non-doc suppression team since the kubel, while very strong early game, is ultimately overwhelmed by large blobs of infantry. The Kubel and MG34 need to be swapped so OKW has a reliable infantry based suppression team.
15 Aug 2015, 20:50 PM

well sure they shouldnt be spammable,if we buff more the suppression of the maxim then increase the price i and many other players wouldnt mind paying 290-300mp for a decent HMG.
i am glad we agree with the durability of the .50cal needs buffs(personaly this is the best option other then make it instapin enemy blobs)

The current Maxim though is a nice alternative to Con or Penal spam. Maxim's still suppress pretty darn good and can push away early Kubel or MG42 through its superior damage. The cone is its biggest drawback and that is because it is so cheap. I really think the cone size is what is throwing you off and making you think it doesn't suppress blobs well. Most decent players will bring a large force to the front then spread them out to prevent MG pin and arty wipes; in essence it looks like a blob, but really is just efficiency for moving a force to the front.
15 Aug 2015, 20:53 PM

While putting the MG34 in the HQ would be good, it's still a very mediocre unit due to it's awful DPS meaning it can't actually really DO anything to troops stuck in it's arc like all the other MG's in the game can. It should get it's old damage of 4 back instead of the current 2 we are stuck with.

The vet ability needs a rework to, while incendiary rounds are nice they don't really serve a purpose for OKW which already has light vehicle counters. It should have a vet 1 ability that just triples it's ROF at the cost of having a period of time after the ability is finished were it can't fire and has to "cool down"
15 Aug 2015, 20:57 PM

Permanently Banned
While putting the MG34 in the HQ would be good, it's still a very mediocre unit due to it's awful DPS meaning it can't actually really DO anything to troops stuck in it's arc like all the other MG's in the game can. It should get it's old damage of 4 back instead of the current 2 we are stuck with.

The vet ability needs a rework to, while incendiary rounds are nice they don't really serve a purpose for OKW which already has light vehicle counters. It should have a vet 1 ability that just triples it's ROF at the cost of having a period of time after the ability is finished were it can't fire and has to "cool down"

Its 210 mp and has vet 5

Shouldnt have replied too alex. I know better
15 Aug 2015, 21:01 PM

Its 210 mp and has vet 5

Shouldnt have replied too alex. I know better

It vet's up agonizingly slowly because it can't do DPS effectively anymore. Who gives a shit if it's 210 MP. Irregulars are cheap as chips to.

To put it in perspective, it costs more than a Squad of Ostruppen while having half as much DPS.
15 Aug 2015, 21:04 PM

Permanently Banned

It vet's up agonizingly slowly because it can't do DPS effectively anymore. Who gives a shit if it's 210 MP. Irregulars are cheap as chips to.

To put it in perspective, it costs more than a Squad of Ostruppen while having half as much DPS.

Deal with it
15 Aug 2015, 21:07 PM

For the record the MG34 only does 3 less DPS than the Maxim. If it did 4 damage instead of 2 it would have 6 more DPS than the Maxim, a much larger cone of fire, better suppression, and would cost 30mp less than the Maxim.
15 Aug 2015, 21:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2015, 21:07 PMCabreza
For the record the MG34 only does 3 less DPS than the Maxim. If it did 4 damage instead of 2 it would have 6 more DPS than the Maxim, a much larger cone of fire, better suppression, and would cost 30mp less than the Maxim.

EDIT: Actually I was wrong, it has less than one DPS at max range. Holy fucking christ what were they THINKING.

Lol there isn't a single squad in the game that does less DPS at far than a MG34 does.
15 Aug 2015, 21:16 PM

EDIT: Actually I was wrong, it has less than one DPS at max range. Holy fucking christ what were they THINKING.

Lol there isn't a single squad in the game that does less DPS at far than a MG34 does.

Yea, I just checked that as well. I'd say the damage drop off at range is what needs fixing not the damage of the MG in general.
15 Aug 2015, 21:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2015, 21:16 PMCabreza

Yea, I just checked that as well. I'd say the damage drop off at range is what needs fixing not the damage of the MG in general.

It has awful close range DPS to. It needs better damage or waaaaay better accuracy because right now it is objectively the worst HMG in the game by a long shot.

If it's a problem with better stats just bump it up to 240 or w/e.
15 Aug 2015, 21:27 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

If they just reduced the vet requirements for it a ton, I'd be fine with that too. I've never expected HMG34s to kill anything, but I did used to expect them to be able to vet.
15 Aug 2015, 21:55 PM

both 50 cal and HMG 34 need some receive accuracy buff they die too easy, both their vet 1 ability sucked. 50 cal has sprint, who the hell use that at all?, HMG 34 has incendiary rounds it is great on HMG42 but so pathetic with its low damage, it takes forever for HMG 34 to gain vet too since it can't really kill anything. i had two HMG 34 in game front line until game ends never retreat keep fighting in the front line, didn't got decrew because they are backup by my teammate HT. both are at vet 3 and 1 of them close to vet 4 at end of game, i don't think it will ever reach vet 5. also i think HMG34 setup time need reduce a bit, it have HMG42 setup time but it is piece of crap compare to HMG42.

I don't like the ability that triples its ROF it is too much, I think add a spotter ability that increase it sight by 30~50% for 20 sec is better and more useful.
15 Aug 2015, 22:22 PM

Did it ever occur to you that the MG34 is not even meant to be a killing machine? OKW seems to be all about units with more straight forward purposes, strengths and weaknesses. More gimmicky ones. Those are more accentuated that those of the Ostheer faction.

The purpose of the MG34 is to give the OKW some means to shut down certain areas of the map due to suppressing enemy troops. That's why it has a big cone of fire and good suppression. If the MG34 would be as good as the MG42, it would either be baseline or the doctrines having it would be the only ones being used in the majority of 1v1 games. Plus, the faction would feel more like "Ostheer Light".

OKW is about constant pressure and flexibility instead of permanently transforming certain areas into "killzones". Constantly repositioning the MG to keep the enemy suppressed is how it should be used. If you put it in a house expecting it to wipe everything you might play the wrong faction, I think. Yes, the damage sucks, but you have awesome long range call-ins as OKW plus Sturmpios for getting in close to kill suppressed units. That's just how OKW works.

Not saying the MG34 couldn't need a change to received accuracy or to it's vet 1 ability but don't make it an MG42.
15 Aug 2015, 22:28 PM

I was actually wrong dude. It has the worst far DPS of any unit in the game with .9 DPS at 45 range.

It's suppression isn't good either, being worse than the maxim with only half as much suppression per burst at far.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★