Login

russian armor

Relic wants your vote about blizzards

30 Jul 2015, 11:58 AM

Put rain in
Put snowfall in

Just don't let it affect gameplay (or performance)
30 Jul 2015, 11:59 AM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

I love playing on winter maps, but I dislike deep snow, blizzards and cold tech. Sitting around campfires for 60 sec is not fun, and I have never seen a tactical use of blizzard in all of the games I played.
30 Jul 2015, 12:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 11:49 AMwuff

But it isn't?

What if negates your commander choice, what if your army if infantry based? What if you're OKW with cold winter clothing? What if you lost a squad to mortar because their health got drained as they weren't near a campfire?

A competitive game should be player vs player and nothing else.

Plan ahead. If you choice strategy on the map which is not suited for this strategy its your fault.

Hp don't drain in cold, models just die until you put squad in warmth.

There already whole lot of RNG in CoH, which affect by great degree competitive play.

Map design may be problem, blizzard mechanic may need some tweaks, but just removing whole thing coz it changes how game plays on certain maps? C'mon.

30 Jul 2015, 12:07 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 11:58 AMwuff
Put rain in
Put snowfall in

Just don't let it affect gameplay (or performance)

This is why I love Pinskmarshes. The rain and lightning is so cool!
30 Jul 2015, 12:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:00 PMJadame!

Plan ahead. If you choice strategy on the map which is not suited for this strategy its your fault.

Hp don't drain in cold, models just die until you put squad in warmth.

There already whole lot of RNG in CoH, which affect by great degree competitive play.

Map design may be problem, blizzard mechanic may need some tweaks, but just removing whole thing coz it changes how game plays on certain maps? C'mon.

Players shouldn't plan their strategy around a 2 minute environmental effect, that is utterly stupid design.

Having to adapt the faction designs to deal with blizzards to make it fair is a waste of resources.

Yes, people dislike RNG, planes smashing into their infantry squads wiping them, maybe they should plan their strategy around that happening.

:snfBarton:

30 Jul 2015, 12:15 PM

This is why I love Pinskmarshes. The rain and lightning is so cool!

+1.

Also, I loved that fact that PE grens had ambient comments based on being rained on. I'd very much like to see rain make a return, although it does presumably impose workload on the system.
30 Jul 2015, 12:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:09 PMwuff

Yes, people dislike RNG, planes smashing into their infantry squads wiping them, maybe they should plan their strategy around that happening.

Yes, they absolutely should. As von Clausewitz said, "Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." If what you're doing is so fragile, stretched so thin that it relies on absolutely nothing going wrong, then you should not be doing it.

Complaints about RNG are totally wrongheaded IMO.
30 Jul 2015, 12:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:18 PMsquippy

Yes, they absolutely should. As von Clausewitz said, "Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." If what you're doing is so fragile, stretched so thin that it relies on absolutely nothing going wrong, then you should not be doing it.

Complaints about RNG are totally wrongheaded IMO.

We're talking about good competitive game design here, not making a historical war simulator.
30 Jul 2015, 12:32 PM

Yes, so am I. RNG is NOT inimical to competitive play, as countless games and sports demonstrate abundantly. You're entitled to a stylistic peference, but the assertion that randomness is bad for competitive play is total junk
30 Jul 2015, 12:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:09 PMwuff

Plane crashes not an RNG, they just stupid. You have no control over them whatsoever.

You have perfect control over blizzards harm in comparison.

I like how tank combat in CoH implemented, but its depends on RNG by some extend. Now following your logic Relic should remove whole armor/penetration mechanic. Yeah, sure, lets make game totally arcade, because there is not enough of arcade strategies already.
30 Jul 2015, 12:41 PM

Do the blizzards occur randomly on blizzard maps or are they scripted to occur at a specific time every game?

Deeps snow is fucking stupid and only leads to boring gameplay.
30 Jul 2015, 12:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:32 PMsquippy
Yes, so am I. RNG is NOT inimical to competitive play, as countless games and sports demonstrate abundantly. You're entitled to a stylistic peference, but the assertion that randomness is bad for competitive play is total junk

Not it isn't, A fair playing field is at the heart of all competitive games, from chess to soccer, from LoL to COH2.

COH2 MP is not a WW2 simulator, it is a competitive game.
30 Jul 2015, 12:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:35 PMJadame!

Plane crashes not an RNG, they just stupid. You have no control over them whatsoever.

You have perfect control over blizzards harm in comparison.

The player has no control over when a blizzard will strike just like when and where an RNG plane will crash.
30 Jul 2015, 12:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:42 PMwuff

The player has no control over when a blizzard will strike just like when and where an RNG plane will crash.

Than Relic should change that.
30 Jul 2015, 12:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:41 PMwuff

Not it isn't, A fair playing field is at the heart of all competitive games, from chess to soccer, from LoL to COH2.

RNG is fair, because it applies to both sides. That's all "fair" means. Just as it is fair when you call for a card while playing blackjack, even though that card is provided at random.

This is getting off topic though.
30 Jul 2015, 12:49 PM

Do the blizzards occur randomly on blizzard maps or are they scripted to occur at a specific time every game?

I don't believe they are scripted. I suspect there is a 'percent per minute' or similar calculation in the background.
30 Jul 2015, 12:50 PM

Blizzards are dumb. They are designed to change the way the game plays, but instead they act as a pause button. On top of this tank combat feels clunky during them and off maps are not allowed (why?). I have never seen an interesting maneuver during a blizzard that was not possible when it was not occurring.

Also troops dying from the cold is incredibly irritating. Having one faction basically get to ignore it (OKW) does not help.
30 Jul 2015, 12:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:47 PMsquippy

RNG is fair, because it applies to both sides. That's all "fair" means. Just as it is fair when you call for a card while playing blackjack, even though that card is provided at random.

This is getting off topic though.

RNG shouldn't be a deciding factor in a competitive game, you think it is fair that an RNG plane could crash into a retreating squad just arrived at the HQ? Winning the game for the other player, even if that other player was losing?

In that single instance how is it fair?

A card game is not comparable to a competitive video game.

30 Jul 2015, 12:53 PM

Also troops dying from the cold is incredibly irritating. Having one faction basically get to ignore it (OKW) does not help.

Well, put another way: if nobody plays on blizzard maps, one of OKW's factional abilities is rendered useless and irrelevant.
30 Jul 2015, 12:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2015, 12:53 PMwuff

RNG shouldn't be a deciding factor in a competitive game, you think it is fair that an RNG plane could crash into a retreating squad just arrived at the HQ? Winning the game for the other player, even if that other player was losing?

If losing one squad lost you the game, you were almost certain to lose anyway. If your opponent really was on the ropes and about to go down, losing one squad should not prevent you from driving it home.

A card game is not comparable to a competitive video game.

Why not? Are card games not played in international tournaments? Are they not played for real money? Do they not have professional, full time players?
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS