Login

russian armor

how do you beat okw 1v1 as soviets

• This thread is locked
27 Jul 2015, 04:01 AM

its so frustrating to play against OKW in this patch, if the match goes longer than 30 minutes and you arent completely steamrolling him and baselocking you already lost. early game the kubel/sturm is manageable, but the volkblob spam EVERY OKW does it, even if you suppress one blob early game he has another blob coming to flank that mg. mines/demos wont work against OKW since they always get minesweepers, all a OKW player has to do is blobspam to push you off the map, get his flak HQ truck to hold half the map, and wait for luch/panzer 4s/panthers to seal the deal

even worse, they get the most OP anti infantry that shred any infantry in seconds, if you arent wiping their volks blobs they just come back as vet 5 shrek monsters that will annihilate anything, and stupid doctrines that spawn infantry in buildings that just take VPs and flank any defense lines you have
27 Jul 2015, 04:18 AM

0) conscripts

1) build maxims

2) guards

3) quad

4) su-76

5) ml-20

6) you win
27 Jul 2015, 04:30 AM

Im undecided wether this is a troll thread or not... but soviets have some of the best anti-blob options in the game...

Rush an M5 quad and take the map... thats pretty much all you have to do...
27 Jul 2015, 04:32 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

quad and Ml20 :luvDerp:
27 Jul 2015, 04:48 AM

Permanently Banned
quad
27 Jul 2015, 05:39 AM

What about the puma. You can have it out as fast as the quad.
27 Jul 2015, 05:43 AM

What about the puma. You can have it out as fast as the quad.

if you go t2 you can use the zis and atnade. the at nade is still a one hit disable on puma.

I usually get a su-76 or zis after getting a quad, to fend off any jpz4.

to be really cheap you can also just get guards. they are still deadly against half of the unit the okw uses and decent against infantry.
27 Jul 2015, 05:45 AM

0) conscripts

1) build maxims

2) guards

3) quad

4) su-76

5) ml-20

6) you win

Basically this but to counter the puma it is best to get an at gun + mines vs it or go for a T-70 + guards with con nades and maybe an at-gun.

Even with all this a well-micro'd puma is difficult to counter imo.
27 Jul 2015, 06:25 AM

Man, I didin't play soviets 1v1 this patch so I wouldn't know what you should do, I'll try them myself on 1v1.

BUT what I can say from other game modes where I played them is that they are feeling quite UP this patch. I mean, I find it verry difficult to survive with them and actualy win. The importance of T34 presence in t3 is now obvious. Also the call-ins importance. You don't have a generalist tank in t3 while ostheer - and now okw - have it. You don't have the proper tools to deal with what axis can throw against you at different game stages. Everything is comming far to late now, and what you build from your soviet t3 is no match for what ostheer can build from their t3 for instance. Same story with t4. Maybe the things were quite similar in the past but now, somehow the difference is even more obvious, and I think it is because of changes in teching and building costs. Let's face it, SU-76 is not an offensive weapon as T34 is. What is the point to have T34s in T4? To bring a vanilla weak medium tank in lategame? What to do with it? Before patch it made sense, all was about timing, you could turn enemy lines upside down with T34 rush and agressive thinking. Furter, the soviets call ins helped to compensate against heavy german armor. Now, by the time a soviet player has an T34/85, the german player will have a panther. By the time soviet player will have an SU-76 the german player will have a PIV. The quad feels now as the only chance for soviets but can be efficiently countered just with some ostheer t2 combined tools, not talking about stug, if the german player manages to build it in due time.

I don't love soviets, but the changes for them created balance issues in my opinion OR I totaly have no idea how to play them in this patch. Could be that too, but still logic tells me there is something wrong about them now.
27 Jul 2015, 06:37 AM

just spam those farmers with mosins and u win

really u win
27 Jul 2015, 06:47 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2015, 06:25 AMJohnnyB
Man, I didin't play soviets 1v1 this patch so I wouldn't know what you should do, I'll try them myself on 1v1.

BUT what I can say from other game modes where I played them is that they are feeling quite UP this patch. I mean, I find it verry difficult to survive with them and actualy win. The importance of T34 presence in t3 is now obvious. Also the call-ins importance. You don't have a generalist tank in t3 while ostheer - and now okw - have it. You don't have the proper tools to deal with what axis can throw against you at different game stages. Everything is comming far to late now, and what you build from your soviet t3 is no match for what ostheer can build from their t3 for instance. Same story with t4. Maybe the things were quite similar in the past but now, somehow the difference is even more obvious, and I think it is because of changes in teching and building costs. Let's face it, SU-76 is not an offensive weapon as T34 is. What is the point to have T34s in T4? To bring a vanilla weak medium tank in lategame? What to do with it? Before patch it made sense, all was about timing, you could turn enemy lines upside down with T34 rush and agressive thinking. Furter, the soviets call ins helped to compensate against heavy german armor. Now, by the time a soviet player has an T34/85, the german player will have a panther. By the time soviet player will have an SU-76 the german player will have a PIV. The quad feels now as the only chance for soviets but can be efficiently countered just with some ostheer t2 combined tools, not talking about stug, if the german player manages to build it in due time.

I don't love soviets, but the changes for them created balance issues in my opinion OR I totaly have no idea how to play them in this patch. Could be that too, but still logic tells me there is something wrong about them now.

This is all completely wrong. First of all, tiers have to be compared by fuel cost, not by number. Ostheer t3 is equivalent to soviet t4. If a t34/76 is rushed, it will arrive at relatively the same time as a p4.

T3 is a light vehicle tier which has no equal in any axis army. It gives access to light armor that can give enormous field presence in the midgame, whilst the su76 is currently capable of defeating any tank in groups of 2-3.

In terms of fighting okw, relying on maxims and the new and improved ml20 will get you far. Maxims are hard to counter for okw due to the hard time okw has clearing buildings, and the ml20 can decimate okw buildings, all the while being safe in your base. (Okw only has scavenge arty to kill arty in base).

SU76s also do very well against anything short of a jp4. They will give you mobile indirect fire, as well as a good at punch. The M5 AAHT supporting your maxims will also be hard for your enemy to push back.

All in all, you never really will need to tech past t3 as soviets vs. Okw. T3+T2 gives you just about everything you will need. Callin mediums like the m4c sherman and the kv1 will complement T3 builds quite well.
27 Jul 2015, 07:08 AM

This is all completely wrong. First of all, tiers have to be compared by fuel cost, not by number. Ostheer t3 is equivalent to soviet t4. If a t34/76 is rushed, it will arrive at relatively the same time as a p4.

T3 is a light vehicle tier which has no equal in any axis army. It gives access to light armor that can give enormous field presence in the midgame, whilst the su76 is currently capable of defeating any tank in groups of 2-3.

In terms of fighting okw, relying on maxims and the new and improved ml20 will get you far. Maxims are hard to counter for okw due to the hard time okw has clearing buildings, and the ml20 can decimate okw buildings, all the while being safe in your base. (Okw only has scavenge arty to kill arty in base).

SU76s also do very well against anything short of a jp4. They will give you mobile indirect fire, as well as a good at punch. The M5 AAHT supporting your maxims will also be hard for your enemy to push back.

All in all, you never really will need to tech past t3 as soviets vs. Okw. T3+T2 gives you just about everything you will need. Callin mediums like the m4c sherman and the kv1 will complement T3 builds quite well.

Then I probably didn't play them right? Possibly. Then I will apply what you said and see how it goes.
Anyway, it feels like soviets really need to rethink all their strategies this patch :o
27 Jul 2015, 10:02 AM
Donator 11

Keep OPKW infantry away with heavy mortar and arty bombard their bases.

Its also good to have a ZiS, not only the su76 as AT. Use guards to button the panther tank with good timing. Dont chase it with su76 tho.
27 Jul 2015, 10:13 AM

Shock Rifle + T2, all you need
5x cons
1x Shocks
Mortar
Maxim
ZiS
2x KV8 (does very well vs Ostwind aswell, wich is used by a lot and KILLS every structure in ~20sec)
IS2 (Instakilles everything)

WIN
27 Jul 2015, 10:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2015, 07:08 AMJohnnyB

Then I probably didn't play them right? Possibly. Then I will apply what you said and see how it goes.
Anyway, it feels like soviets really need to rethink all their strategies this patch :o

Soviets are pretty much more powerful than they have ever been and their ability to acquire combined arms rivals the Ostheer. The only 3 things that are actually bad about them are the molotovs, the 82mm mortar, and the KV-1.
27 Jul 2015, 11:08 AM

Considering no-tech KV-1 is fine imo
27 Jul 2015, 11:44 AM

:sibPheasant: The strongest soviet build in 1v1 imo is t2-t3 with lategame is2 :sibPheasant:, what I do is using Armored Assault commander, because I like it more(the one with radio intercept, is2, self-repair), this maybe works even better with Shock Rifle, but I find Radio intercept more useful in early game and vehicle self-repair really helps when you have multiple vehicles and only 1 or 2 engineers. I also can do without shocks by just gettin 2 more maxims instead of shock troopers.
usually the build order goes like this:
build 3 cons, then another engineer, build t2 and get a maxim, then get a t3 and an m5 Quad, 2 or 3 su76s and then keep building maxims and reinforcing them with m5 until you lock down the whole map. 2-3 Su76s will kill any okw building and will win vs JP4, panther or p4.
If game lasts till 13 cp, you can additionally call-in an is2.

I also veto Stalingrad, because maxims and su76s do better on open maps. :hansGASM:

27 Jul 2015, 12:38 PM

Without t-34/76 in T-3, you have no option vs FLAK HT

You loose

Just touch surrender button

Or few units in the begin for Fast M5.
27 Jul 2015, 12:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2015, 04:01 AMjugg
even worse, they get the most OP anti infantry that shred any infantry in seconds,

OKW OP in anti infantry? Nice joke actually.
27 Jul 2015, 12:42 PM

Soviets are pretty much more powerful than they have ever been and their ability to acquire combined arms rivals the Ostheer. The only 3 things that are actually bad about them are the molotovs, the 82mm mortar, and the KV-1.

#Cough# KV-2 #Cough#
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS