Login

russian armor

Ostheer HMG too strong now

PAGES (27)down
30 Jun 2015, 08:12 AM
Donator 22

The new MG finally does what it's meant to do.
Before there was a critical point the enemy had to reach to simply overrun your MG with little to none drawbacks.

Now they have to flank/smoke in order to fullfil a successful attack.
IMO you can lower the MG's damage to almost none because that is not it's purpose. It shall put the enemy on the ground while other units deal the damage.

In short: I love the new MGs and I am amused to see more and more Maxims these days thought they did not receive any buff at all.

30 Jun 2015, 08:23 AM

Did they have 2x BARS? :p

Otherwise the only real way for RE troops to beat Pios is when the RE troops use volley fire and the Pios close in without seeking cover.

The problem was probably that I "parked" my pios in green cover at approximately mid range because they had lost a man. Unfortunately they deal absolutely no damage when not in close distance to the enemy. So it was a long fight but the REs won after some minutes without any casualties. :p
30 Jun 2015, 08:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2015, 07:02 AMEsxile

I'm glad to read 4 280mp cost vanilla unit should always been beaten by 240mp HMG and 240mp grenadiers.
Now everything is cristal clear, Ostheer is designed to be the strongest faction early game while having cheapest dedicated units.

1270mp + 25fu invested, probably 30 or 60 ammo used to counter a 240mp unit in a building. And the best, the 240mp unit wasn't even supported. :D

Made my day :D

It should never be a thing of brute force and numbers applied to a position. This is a real time tactical strategy. If you are careless in your command and pit your group of units into a machine gun's line of fire, it should be punishing. The entire point is that the MG controls those crowds and careless movements.

The onus is on you to be tactical with your large investment in infantry. You think all the Americans and Soviets pinned down by MG-42's in the war said "No fair, MG is OP!" No, they figured out how to blind them and get around them so that they didn't have as many bullets flying at their heads!

Recon and then commit to a plan of action, don't just group together that many units and rush blindly into the fog of war and expect to not have to worry about anything.
30 Jun 2015, 08:52 AM

Nobody wants the old Mg 42 back, but also nobody wanted a single unit capable of denying one sector completely.
30 Jun 2015, 10:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2015, 08:36 AMSierra

It should never be a thing of brute force and numbers applied to a position. This is a real time tactical strategy. If you are careless in your command and pit your group of units into a machine gun's line of fire, it should be punishing. The entire point is that the MG controls those crowds and careless movements.

The onus is on you to be tactical with your large investment in infantry. You think all the Americans and Soviets pinned down by MG-42's in the war said "No fair, MG is OP!" No, they figured out how to blind them and get around them so that they didn't have as many bullets flying at their heads!

Recon and then commit to a plan of action, don't just group together that many units and rush blindly into the fog of war and expect to not have to worry about anything.

What are you talking about? Calling blobb noober anybody who's not saying the MG is fine becomes a really boring argumentation.
30 Jun 2015, 10:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2015, 10:08 AMEsxile

What are you talking about? Calling blobb noober anybody who's not saying the MG is fine becomes a really boring argumentation.

I wonder if you can guess his gren playstyle.
30 Jun 2015, 10:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2015, 08:36 AMSierra

I agree. If only the same thing applied to maxims as well...
Phy
30 Jun 2015, 11:14 AM

Dshk should be 1cp like HMG34.

Greens should not be able to throw rifle grenades pinned down because they break the purpose of the new mgs profiles.

Maxims are crappy for their cost.

Green cover needs to be fixed asap.

30 Jun 2015, 13:21 PM

After playing 10 2v2 games with Soviets, and using the buffed DHSK in each one, I can say that I am slightly disappointed in its cost and when you can actually get one(2 cps) for its performance, it is better, but its suppression and even vehicle damage are still too low(A Ost HT ran around inside ones cone of fire, and even with AP rounds it was able to run completely across its arc of fire with still 1/4 of its HP left).

I see WAY more Axis players blobbing than Allied players now, the MG42 and 34 shut down Allied blobs(which I am perfectly happy with), but MGs on the Allied side either don't suppress enough(Maxim/DHSK) or arrive really late(DHSK/.50Cal). I would like to see slight damage decrease on MG42 or cost increase(the initial damage increase was because it suppressed like crap, but now it suppresses much better, but its damage is so high combined with its suppression it can be used to assault positions(Maxim spam was the same way, now it is MG42 spam).

The MG34 is perfect, comes early enough(1 cp)fast suppression to blobs, not a lot of damage, but you can still feel it without it wiping 3 men 2 seconds after it hits them. The Maxim could use a suppression upgrade, but I would also like to see a cost upgrade to accompany it(too prevent spamming).

DHSK could be moved to 1CP at the very least and maybe slight suppression increase.
30 Jun 2015, 13:43 PM

Well after playing some games i think MG42 is a bit too good. Pre patch is was nearly useless. Middle ground for the win?
30 Jun 2015, 13:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2015, 13:43 PMl4hti
Well after playing some games i think MG42 is a bit too good. Pre patch is was nearly useless. Middle ground for the win?

They should just revert long range damage buff that was applied when it was useless (before suppression buff).
Then we'll see. Otherwise they will overnerf it to the ground just like they do things usually.
30 Jun 2015, 14:00 PM

To be fair I think USF deserves a stock mortar to handle MG42s.
Smoke as only counter before vehicles arrive is not the best way to go and the pak howitzer is trash.
30 Jun 2015, 14:03 PM

On certain maps, MG-42 completely shuts down USF. I am not sure if teching for a mortar will help as USF player would need to give up early game-ish.
30 Jun 2015, 14:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2015, 11:14 AMPhy
Dshk should be 1cp like HMG34.

Greens should not be able to throw rifle grenades pinned down because they break the purpose of the new mgs profiles.

Maxims are crappy for their cost.

Green cover needs to be fixed asap.

+1 All the bitching I remember hearing from axis players about the maxim spam and now the mg42 is spammed the same, but is in general better. Rifle nades been broken for a while and maxim nerfed into the ground.
30 Jun 2015, 15:10 PM

I don't understand how anyone can be in here arguing that the mg42 balance is fine in this current patch when everyone knows there are actually changes designed to help balance it that were left out of this version (which makes no sense anyway) and will be coming soon. Of course there will be balance issues when only half a patch is released at a time.

As for the molotov issue, if the molotov can be counted on only to reposition an mg but never to kill any models then what is the point of investing manpower, fuel, and ammo into a "soft counter" that doesn't actually do anything? Compared to all other grenades this ability is crap. I guess its the fanboys version of balance that ostheer has rifle grenades with great instant squad-wiping potential and soviet get molotov that can make soft suggestion that mg should reposition.
30 Jun 2015, 15:41 PM

I don't understand how anyone can be in here arguing that the mg42 balance is fine in this current patch when everyone knows there are actually changes designed to help balance it that were left out of this version (which makes no sense anyway) and will be coming soon. Of course there will be balance issues when only half a patch is released at a time.

As for the molotov issue, if the molotov can be counted on only to reposition an mg but never to kill any models then what is the point of investing manpower, fuel, and ammo into a "soft counter" that doesn't actually do anything? Compared to all other grenades this ability is crap. I guess its the fanboys version of balance that ostheer has rifle grenades with great instant squad-wiping potential and soviet get molotov that can make soft suggestion that mg should reposition.

Before the molotov had flame crit chance, which I have had kill a full health Volk squad before. But with the flame crit gone(which is for the better IMO), this ability needs a damage buff it is underperforming and barely does any damage now, but this is offtopic.
Here is a clip of the buffed DHSK's performance against light vehicles:

Yes I was using AP rounds and for its cost, the time delay, and compared to MG34/42 incendiary rounds, that was an embarrassing performance.
1 Jul 2015, 03:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2015, 01:30 AMNosliw

Yes, MGs + Grens should beat riflemen when used properly. USF has access to bars/nades/M20 in order to tip the balance in their favour. If americans could win the early game relying completely on vanilla rifles that would be really unfortunate for ostheer. And if he had the second MG I would have just shot smoke at it. The riflemen were positioned so only 1 could get suppressed by 1 Mg, not two. There would still been 2 free squads running around tossing nades if there were 2 mgs supressing.

This is really all there is to it.

It sucks that some maps have shit design and do favor mgs, but nosliw has pointed out earlier in this thread that the vcoh MG was flank able without the utility of smoke nades and truesight.

People juse need to get good.

Meanwhile, bump the MG cost to 260-280 and we're golden.
1 Jul 2015, 05:12 AM
Donator 11

This is really all there is to it.

It sucks that some maps have shit design and do favor mgs, but nosliw has pointed out earlier in this thread that the vcoh MG was flank able without the utility of smoke nades and truesight.

People juse need to get good.

Meanwhile, bump the MG cost to 260-280 and we're golden.

And in vCoH the maps were more open and the US had the jeep
1 Jul 2015, 05:35 AM

And in vCoH the maps were more open and the US had the jeep

Forgive me since I haven't played vcoh in years, but I'm pretty sure you didn't use jeeps to kill MG teams.

And yes, the maps made a difference, there's about 5 maps that suck as allies in 2v2 alone against MGs (Kharkov, Minsk, ettelbruck,bysrtaya,and arguably trois ponts) and about 4 for axis as well (both moscows, and I can't recall the other two I veto at this moment).
1 Jul 2015, 05:59 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Rhzev Winter and Vaux Farmlands i guess?

I'm sure Rails and Metals is worth mentioning also. Moscow is more a problem of north vs south but it sucks more to play Axis north rather than as Allies IMO.
PAGES (27)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS