Login

russian armor

SU-76 - Uses and Tier Placement

8 Jun 2013, 07:19 AM

I just wanted to raise a small discussion about this unit, as I couldn't as of yet decide about its effectiveness and worth.

In what situations would you purchase this unit? It obviously doesn't have the role of a Marder in vCOH, and I wouldn't really be building them solely to take out a bunker or for that daring base-rush to destroy buildings. I've seen it pretty effective vs. infantry, but nothing I can't do with out.

Maybe its cost justifies its use? And why is it a Tier 4 unit?

I'd love to hear your opinions of this unit, as my experience with CoH 2 is little.
8 Jun 2013, 07:51 AM

this little tank is pretty awesome, you see he has a long range bombard which doesnt cost a dime, its damn acurate and it does alot of dmg, dealing dmg even to heavy tanks. Other than that you can use it to kill some light vehicles efficiently.
8 Jun 2013, 10:05 AM

imo it does not fill the role of light vehicle killer, it has no turret and it is not that fast, a upgunned AC can circle it and kill it with little micro.

It has little penertration and really cant go toe to toe with any medium tank, not that i think it should, it's only real use is the bombard ability which is quite nice with it being free, personally if your enemy has alot of mortars MGs and heavy infantry i would get this, bombard the mg/ mortar nests then infantry rush it.

I would almost never build more than 1
8 Jun 2013, 10:36 AM

Permanently Banned
Its a monster at AI, especially with the free Barrage.

From this perspective, it utterly outclasses the Ostwind, its assymmetric faxtion equal.

You certqinly dont need more than one, but that one is essentially a relatively earlygame howitzer artillery equivalent.

Keep it in the back and use Barrage everytime it is up. I cannot overstate how dangerous this u is to infantry and setupteams located in Fog of War.

It is indeed misimplemented in terms of a historical role as a vehicle counter as well, but its AI is a real nightmare to Ostheer infantry and support teams, even when not in line of sight.
8 Jun 2013, 11:03 AM

It's decently cost efficient, but for anything other than deterring light vehicles and its free artillery barrage it's quite terrible. I had one firing at the rear of a StuG and not even making a dent :(

I'd actually quite like to see it get the T-34 gun (perhaps less splash) to have it be able to at least damage a tank with good positioning. Perhaps make its cost more like a T-34.
8 Jun 2013, 13:16 PM

Permanently Banned
Field it as an AI artillery unit. If you want hard AT, SU85 is your unit of choice.
8 Jun 2013, 14:14 PM

Interesting points. I agree, the barrage ability is this unit's saving grace. However, I find Russian T3 and T4 extremely strange in terms of what they contain. Granted, unlike the Germans, you have a PE style choice of what to tech to first. The high fuel cost of T4 is a deterrent, and I always find myself going T3 first.

But then again, what's the idea of having 2 Artillery based units at T4, (Katyusha and SU-76), and an SU-85 tank destroyer? Mobility wise, both 76 and 85 are terrible due to the fixed turret; so one is beneficial vs infantry because of its more contained bombard strike, and the other a tank destroyer which is meant to go up against panthers? I don't quite see it, especially with the Panther's speed at the moment.
9 Jun 2013, 01:49 AM

they are real cheap, so its not a bad deal to buy two as arty and supplemental AT. I usually get 1, an su 85, and then another. This plus AT grenades and a guard squad will deal with most armor, and with the ruskies dominant early game you wont ever face more than one panther or a couple stugs
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★