CoH2 is 1984.

Do you love the BIG BROTHER?
Option Distribution Votes
25%
75%
Total votes: 16
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
18 Jun 2015, 07:23 AM

Hello guys, it's Winston Smith here. Not really, it's Highfiveeee but I hope you get the point from the headline.

This should neither be an article of hate, nor a text of blaming someone or something.
It should just be an humorous attempt to explain why things are happening in this patch and why not.

I repeat myself: This is satire and not a fact. It's just a joke about the current situation.

So keep calm and nice to each other and let's start with our three main paradigms:

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

As we all love our Big Brother, we know that these three sentences is what keeps us playing this great game. Although nobody of us fully understands what they mean, we know that we have to accept them and sometimes (speaking as a mod) even fight for them to be true.

Let's go through it point by point.

WAR IS PEACE.

It's a beautiful contrast, isn't it?
How can something as brutal and cruel as war be something as friendly and desirable as peace?
It is easier as you might think at first.

The war is our demand to talk about things we want to share and discuss. We all want to talk about our favourite units and strategies, why we mostly play as Axis or Allies and why the other side mostly has OP units and brainless strats.

The Big Brother watches us as we break each other's skulls protecting our point of view.

"IS-2 is an OP bounce machine"

-

"Shut up, you fool! It's clearly the Jagdpanzer IV and the Tiger with it's smoke and Blitzkrieg that deserve a nerf!"

This is what pleases the Big Brother. Our disputes only strengthen his authority as the irrevocable sovereign of the Company of Heroes franchise.
We players cannot unify because it is against our nature. And while we fight each other, each side strengthens it's belief that the own opinion is the only one that is right.
We denounce each other (Oh boy, if only you knew how many reports I have to deal with every day) to weaken the other side while our enemies try the same.
The only winner is our beloved Big Brother as he gets free promotion from the discussions we create.
We buy commanders to crush the opposite factions.
You get it?

We all need this war to survive. A perfect balanced game will stay still after a while. We don't talk, we don't buy.
If there is no discussion, there is no life.

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.

Another contrast?
Of course anyone of us will negate the question if we are slaves. But are we really free?
The answer is simply, no, we are not. No, we will never be.
But why are we not free? What makes a free man? In my honest opinion the difference between free and slave is the question wether somebody can make his own decisions or not.

Of course we believe that we can. But is this true?
Yes, we can change the faction we want to play. We even can veto maps we don't like. What a time to be alive, isn't it?
Well, you guess, it is not.

The Big Brother only wants us to believe that we are a community of free players. He even is as merciful to open a public Beta for us to make important changes to the game we all love.
But was this Beta free? "Everyone was able to join, so it had to be free! Even the name says 'public'!"

No it was not free. Even participation was not your choice but the choice of the Big Brother. It is only his only choice who will grant access to the inner circle of the party.
So why is this a thing? Why were important players such as HelpingHans not invited? Because they commit thoughtcrime. They openly defamate the Big Brother and his decisions.
"Why doesn't he vaporize (ban) them?" you might think.

It's deeper than that. Remember our first paradigm? WAR IS PEACE. It's the people like Hans that our Big Brother is in need of. They stir the fire of the community. They are WAR. And they are heavily needed to achieve balance. Not in term of gameplay balance. But in the balance between the glorious Big Brother and the community.

The changes of the Beta were mostly reverted. Everyone inside the public Beta knows that. But we are not allowed to talk about them. No one is. Isn't it all starting to make sense right know?

We must feel free. But we absolutely must not be free.
How were we gloryfying our Big Brother when he announced the public Beta?
The Big Brother is doing an amazing job.

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

"This one is easy" you might think. "The Big Brother is ignoring our wishes to strengthen his position."
Well, good try, but not as easy as that.
It's not him ignoring our wishes but us. It's us ignoring our own wishes.
CoH2 is about 2 years old right now.

Do you remember how bad the early days of this game were? Clowncars with Snipers. Killing machine Su-85. Flame SdKfz uncounterable.

Good.
This is what the big brother wants us to remember. The past was bad. There was nothing good in it.
The Big Brother is our savior. What he does is right in our eyes. Who is in control of the past is in control of the future.

A thought can be forgotten. Even the strongest wishes vanish within a period of time. Things that were so important to us back in the days are now forgotten. And everything as it is is now untouchable. 6 men soviet squads are untouchable. 2 man sniper squads are untouchable. Tiger Ace is untouchable. You know why? Because they always were. Only if you accept this fact, you really love the Big Brother.

We have to ignore the mistakes that were made to keep this game working. Mistakes will be made in the future but they will also be forgotten unless they keep the fire of WAR burning.

YOU ARE A SINGLE PLAYER.
YOU ARE NOTHING.
THE COMMUNITY IS EVERYTHING.
THE BIG BROTHER PROTECTS US.

18 Jun 2015, 07:46 AM
18 Jun 2015, 08:15 AM

Where are the mods to deal with shit posting?

Oh...
18 Jun 2015, 08:27 AM

Way to go, stealing material' straight from Alex Jones's "vault".. Really though. It is all true. We do attack each other on a faction basis (I suppose that everybody but I plays both factions in intervals). Things are better than the past as you said.. But nobody wants them to stay the same (even I.. and all I really do is complain about warspoils).

I disagree with some of the conclusions though. No, the Tiger Ace isn't untouchable and has been nerfed. As a former Elite Troops play I can say when I go this doctrine it is usually for the G43s and Model 24 Stun Grenades. I don't even bother with the 'Ace' anymore.

The 6 man squad isn't really an issue, given how easily you can destroy MGs and Mortars. Fussilers, Grenadiers and anything really provided decent micro will wreck the static squads. Even the most effective position is only a smoke grenada, shock or rifle grenade away from being wrecked; not an issue.

The two man sniper squad would be an issue... If anybody went Sniper anymore. I HARDLY see it and hardly do so myself, as it is simply more effective for me to get a grenadier/mg/save for tech up/save for tank in most cases.

Oh, and Cynthia said in the forums that the things from the private beta are being rolled out in intervals.. So either you didn't read that or she's lying?
18 Jun 2015, 09:42 AM

Man this was awesome. High"Orwell"fiveeee.
18 Jun 2015, 09:50 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

I enjoyed reading it!

18 Jun 2015, 10:08 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I enjoyed reading it!

+1 :)
18 Jun 2015, 10:08 AM

No need to take this serious, just appreciate the creativity and have a good laugh.

Was a good read. :)
18 Jun 2015, 10:09 AM

We all need this war to survive. A perfect balanced game will stay still after a while. We don't talk, we don't buy.
If there is no discussion, there is no life.

I always read the novel as sarcastic and find parts of your interpretation a bit worrying :)
18 Jun 2015, 11:19 AM

we should start doing daily "2 minutes hate" thread where everyone can express their hatred for Relic.
19 Jun 2015, 09:32 AM

we should start doing daily "2 minutes hate" thread where everyone can express their hatred for Relic.

Relic needs a fictional staff member who we can hate during this time.
I would suggest this guy from Relic Spain:

:snfPeter:
19 Jun 2015, 12:05 PM
19 Jun 2015, 13:49 PM

HaHa

It's exaclty what i think about our society :

War is bad, but cool too ( if you win, your country is more powerfull )

FREEDOM ? haha, this word is a pure propaganda word.

Freedom of what ? All the education system is build for the homogenization of Minds, and so the control of them.

Debate is Forbidden in every school, guys exit from the same university will agree in many points.

And A moral dogma is taught.

This is why ignorance is strengh, because if you don't agree with theories from university, you will be call a idiot or a ignorant by Every Elits or sheeps.

Culture is knowledge only for the guy who agrees with the theory in question.

The man Listen and Think, The slave Learn :thumb:
Only a man can become a genius or can CREATE

Back To Topic :snfCHVGame:
19 Jun 2015, 14:18 PM

op is defaming the developers pls close and invist thred thx
19 Jun 2015, 14:25 PM

HaHa

It's exaclty what i think about our society :

War is bad, but cool too ( if you win, your country is more powerfull )

FREEDOM ? haha, this word is a pure propaganda word.

Freedom of what ? All the education system is build for the homogenization of Minds, and so the control of them.

Debate is Forbidden in every school, guys exit from the same university will agree in many points.

And A moral dogma is taught.

This is why ignorance is strengh, because if you don't agree with theories from university, you will be call a idiot or a ignorant by Every Elits or sheeps.

Culture is knowledge only for the guy who agrees with the theory in question.

The man Listen and Think, The slave Learn :thumb:

Back To Topic :snfCHVGame:

So, you are telling us, that the goverment is bad but war is good, so that the said institut gets more power? DansGame ?

Furthermore are you a person, who can write this post, without fearing censorship of the goverment.

Thats just sexist :snfCHVGame:

Partly I agree with your post, but most of it is some tin foil hat chatter. Kappa
19 Jun 2015, 14:34 PM

Oh I will be diabolise and Insult for sur when i will be more Famous :snfCHVGame:
19 Jun 2015, 15:46 PM

Where are the mods to deal with shit posting?

Oh...

This, pretty sure the mods should invis the thread for being "disrespectful to developers" :snfPeter:
19 Jun 2015, 16:00 PM

Wow, I am amazed by how many people either don't know this masterpiece of literature by George Orwell or simply don't know what satire is :unsure:
19 Jun 2015, 16:09 PM

And there I was preparing my own piece of satire on the CoH2 world...
19 Jun 2015, 16:15 PM

And there I was preparing my own piece of satire on the CoH2 world...

Give it a try, I would love to read it!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 97
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak