Login

russian armor

Defeating Soviet Easymode tactics.

6 Jun 2013, 04:52 AM

Hey guys.

So I'm getting pretty frustrated, as I love this game but I'm finding it hard to deal with soviet tactics that I genuinely do not find fun to play against, doesn't matter if I win or lose the game.

It's like trying to close a fist around water, no matter if I go T1 and get grenadiers out, or rush tier 2.

Germans really lack an infantry killing vehicle in my opinion, our scout car does zero against them.

Eventually I will have to deal with conscripts that cap all over the place, clown cars, shock troops, and then the early cheap tanks.

It's getting to be a bit of a pain and our only counter to these cheap early tanks are AT guns that are frankly useless as they drive around in circles loling at them. Panzershreks are a ridiculous 120 munitions without the option of buying one at a time.

Any advice?
6 Jun 2013, 05:15 AM

Build more MG bunkers. I agree it feels difficult but just build more bunkers and it will feel less difficult. They protect a pak better than an MG or a gren does. That being said I think versus multiple med tanks you are basically required to have a pak and a shrek'd PG.

The flame HT is the infantry killing t2 vehicle, but it's expensive muni wise and w/o vet dies quickly.. you have to get t3 or the pIV command tank for a real strong AI platform.
6 Jun 2013, 06:48 AM

Hmm I rarely build mg bunkers in 1v1 cause they are expensive muni wise.

Soviets have alot of good builds they can go while Ostheer is fairly limited atm. Hopefully this will change in the future.

Anyways my build for Germans is: build T1-> Gren->Gren->Mg->Gren-> retreat pio-> build T2. Depending on how much munitions I have I get a PG or halftrack first, then get a pak. After that I hold off for a PanzerIV maybe building a few more PGs. The only reactionary change I make with this build is if I see the Soviet player m3 car spamming or using sniper in m3 then I'll get 1 or 2 scout cars.

I use the 2-3 grens to faust and focus down the clown cars. Once flamer halftrack hits the field I take out all the harassing soviet infantry, lay down a few teller mines and hold off for P4. Usually once the P4 hits the field it's game over cause T34 does meh damage from the front so if you were dominating the field before they won't have many T34s.

I can share a quite a few replays of me doing this vs semi-decent players utilising a variety of different soviet strats if you're interested. I win 95%+ of my games as Germans thanks to this german strategy.
6 Jun 2013, 07:12 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll take this advice on board and give it a try ^^

Also, any replays would be welcome :D Definately the best way to learn a strategy game is through replays.
6 Jun 2013, 09:04 AM

My build order as German in most of my 1v1 is : Mg > Gren > Gren >Mg > sometimes Mortar (if I'm on Pripyat river).

The first Mg support my pioneer squad and force to retreat the first conscript/engineer squad. I try to cap and hold most of the map and I tech quickly to tier two to build a flamer HT. One of my Mg is used offensively (I never deploy it until i see the enemy with my Gren squad and I hide it behind a house or some tree, thanks true-sight =D), the other is mostly used to defend choke point or important resource point (like the central munition point in kholodny).

When my Flamer HT is on the field I always use it carefully, always with a grenadier and pioneer squad until it get Vet 2, when Vet 2 comes I usually use it more often offensively, it can take some Zis shot and back to safety (very easy with the doctrine which allow smoke for vehicle, I love it)After my HT i usually build a Pak, then a Panzergrenadier squad. This strat work well for my level and I'm quite successful with it.

I hope my post is clear enough ^^
6 Jun 2013, 16:52 PM

Replay spam incoming!!!

http://www.coh2.org/replays/3494/ostheer-game-1.
http://www.coh2.org/replays/3495/ostheer-game-2
http://www.coh2.org/replays/3496/ostheer-game-3
http://www.coh2.org/replays/3497/ostheer-game-4
http://www.coh2.org/replays/3498/ostheer-game-5

Sorry don't know how to post replay packs yet.

I will say one thing though. I've found it is very tough for ostheer to make a comeback when behind cause vetted hit the dirt conscripts don't take any damage and T34s are easy to spam + counter almost everything with ram.

EDIT: Lol a patch came out minutes after I posted this so sorry about that XD
7 Jun 2013, 13:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

+1 to what S73v0 said
7 Jun 2013, 21:18 PM

I can crush the AI on easy mode, but haven't had any success yet against AI standard mode. Standard mode is dang tough.

Here is how I defeat the AI easy mode.

Keep building engineers until you have 4 to 6 of them. A group of engineers are pretty decent vs. Russian infantry. Keep going around securing fuel and building fuel dumps. Upgrade your HQ and when you have enough fuel start building tanks and bring out other types of infantry.
15 Jun 2013, 16:01 PM

Don't build bunkers. Grens with LMGs are excellent infantry stoppers. I generally go 3-4 grens and an HMG. If I have a big advantage at this point and am denying their fuel well, I'll go to T3 and get a P4 or a Stug out. If I'm getting contested, I'll stop at T2 for PGs and a Pak, and maybe a half track if I want (use it primarily for reinforcing).

New CoH players are always tempted to just try and lock down one part of the map they want. You have to be aggressive and keep attacking, denying their fuel. Don't just leave your MG in a building, send it around with your troops. Snipers can be good but you might not have the micro to make effective use of them. Just go T1 heavy in my opinion, Grens and MG can more than handle anything the Soviets have.
19 Jun 2013, 00:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Jun 2013, 06:48 AMS73v0
Hmm I rarely build mg bunkers in 1v1 cause they are expensive muni wise.

Soviets have alot of good builds they can go while Ostheer is fairly limited atm. Hopefully this will change in the future.

Anyways my build for Germans is: build T1-> Gren->Gren->Mg->Gren-> retreat pio-> build T2. Depending on how much munitions I have I get a PG or halftrack first, then get a pak. After that I hold off for a PanzerIV maybe building a few more PGs. The only reactionary change I make with this build is if I see the Soviet player m3 car spamming or using sniper in m3 then I'll get 1 or 2 scout cars.

I use the 2-3 grens to faust and focus down the clown cars. Once flamer halftrack hits the field I take out all the harassing soviet infantry, lay down a few teller mines and hold off for P4. Usually once the P4 hits the field it's game over cause T34 does meh damage from the front so if you were dominating the field before they won't have many T34s.

I can share a quite a few replays of me doing this vs semi-decent players utilising a variety of different soviet strats if you're interested. I win 95%+ of my games as Germans thanks to this german strategy.

^^^ this is a good strategy. Although it's impossible to tell right now, and I'm a little pissed they nerfed the flammenwerfer to begin with, I think the scout car spam is the toughest thing to counter in the current build. To alleviate this, a german SC before the HT build can be a good counter. The SC itself is weak vs infantry but with support, it tips a close engagement in your favor. Use it to quickly support units in a 1v1 situation or something. If the soviet sc spam is on then you might want to get two sc's and spend the munis for the flammenwefer on the upgun. I just wish that either a. squads in the SC took damage after it exploded or b. the upgun did more damage to infantry (not to the level of the coh1 AC). The flammenwerfer is still good but not a sole AI hammer like it was.
19 Jun 2013, 01:59 AM

Yeah they shouldn't have nerfed the flammenwerfer so hard at least without buffing the other almost useless units that Ostheer have (e.g. scout car and pak40) as well. Soviets are the stronger faction at the moment as anyone who played in the ikf tourney could tell. This strategy still might be the strongest strat but if they keep nerfing it it'll be very very bad for Ostheer.
19 Jun 2013, 05:53 AM

WTF MG bunker? just one clown car can kill 3.1465892 x 6.02x10^23 bunker
19 Jun 2013, 07:57 AM

I can crush the AI on easy mode, but haven't had any success yet against AI standard mode. Standard mode is dang tough.

Here is how I defeat the AI easy mode.

I find your posts and replays hugely entertaining, please do more of them.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★