Login

russian armor

Why there aren't many passive abilities in COH2?

11 May 2015, 19:09 PM

I just notice there are not many passive abilities in the game.

For example what I mean when I say passive abilities, conscript repair kit for example. When you reach it you do not need to invest any resources to exploit it.

Soviets have 3 abilities - Radio intercept, Conscript repair kit, Conscript Salvage kit

US Forces 1 - Elite Vehicle Crews Upgrade, Forward Observers

OKW - Thorough Salvage

Ostheer - None

I think there should be more passive abilities like the one we had in COH vanilla.

Thoughts?
11 May 2015, 19:45 PM

1) There is no such thing as conscript salvage kits
2) USF elite crews is not free, thompsons cost 90 muni
3) Ostheer have trenches

4) You don't think about passive abilities, but about abilities that cost nothing to activate. World of difference.
11 May 2015, 20:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2015, 19:45 PMKatitof
1) There is no such thing as conscript salvage kits
2) USF elite crews is not free, thompsons cost 90 muni
3) Ostheer have trenches

4) You don't think about passive abilities, but about abilities that cost nothing to activate. World of difference.

I meant Engineer salvage kit but that one costs 100 munition

Yeah abilities that cost nothing to activate

11 May 2015, 20:19 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

They probably figured they weren't that interesting. Zeal was definitely kind of a snoozefest gameplay-wise, and Improved Emplacements wasn't very interesting either. That being said I wouldn't say they all necessarily were - stuff like Rapid Response or Advanced Warning were pretty noticeable gameplay-wise.
11 May 2015, 20:26 PM

There is also defensive stance+sandbags for rifles, there is hit the dirt.

Other things are upgrades requiring resource planning, which is not bad.
11 May 2015, 20:40 PM

I think some of the abilities in the Elite armor doctrine could be passive. Right now it´s too ammo intensive. I´d like to see the HEAT rounds be free like in Coh1. Of course for less effect.

Same applies to the tank commander.
11 May 2015, 23:20 PM

Because they are very hard to balance mostly. Things like building sandbags and trenches are not a problem, but any other major passive ability can not be balanced properly (specially "free" passive abilities)
12 May 2015, 07:04 AM

Thx for feedback guys, it make sense now.
nee
12 May 2015, 11:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2015, 19:09 PMExardus

For example what I mean when I say passive abilities, conscript repair kit for example. When you reach it you do not need to invest any resources to exploit it.
There are no "passive abilities" in this game; they are basically just ability unlocks. Some unlocks (re stun grenades, weapon upgrades) happen to be abilities that cost munitions whereas some don't (re conscript repair kit, hull down).

If you really have a concrete idea of what "Passive Abilities" are I suggest you take some time to list them all and not a handful of "examples". And also explain why certain ones that might be construed as also being passive abilities does not fit your criteria. For my part, anything that's not off-map artillery or a unit being called in is a passive unlock, from OKW's Signal Relay to Ostheer's G43s to USF's Elite Vehicle Crews to Soviets' Ambush Gun Tactics.
12 May 2015, 17:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2015, 11:58 AMnee
There are no "passive abilities" in this game; they are basically just ability unlocks. Some unlocks (re stun grenades, weapon upgrades) happen to be abilities that cost munitions whereas some don't (re conscript repair kit, hull down).

If you really have a concrete idea of what "Passive Abilities" are I suggest you take some time to list them all and not a handful of "examples". And also explain why certain ones that might be construed as also being passive abilities does not fit your criteria. For my part, anything that's not off-map artillery or a unit being called in is a passive unlock, from OKW's Signal Relay to Ostheer's G43s to USF's Elite Vehicle Crews to Soviets' Ambush Gun Tactics.

Ok well what I mean Passive ability is the one that imidiatly has effect on gameplay without MP, Ammo or fuel invested

For example: Radio interception - you get insight on what your opponent is building.

you had more of passive abilities or abilities that costs nothing to activate in vanila CoH.

For example American Armor Company had - Fast deployment, Raid

Wermacht - Defense doctrine - For the fatherland, Advance warning, Fortifay the perimeter
Terror doctrine - Zeal

Panze Elite - Tank destroyer - Tank Awareness, APCR round, Double Infantry AT Efforts

Royal Commando Support - Ultra Decryption

I hope this clarify what I meant by passive ability.

BR
nee
13 May 2015, 02:24 AM

I see what you mean now.

In a way passive abilities are achieved via bulletins: you pick certain ones that give certain permanent match-long benefits, such as building units a little faster or the move/reload a little faster. None of CoH2's passive abilities replicate these attributes with sole exception to Soviet Industry (which also adjusts fuel and manpower income, and IMO done in a bad way and I think should have been a munitions-based temporary ability).

I think that is a good way Relic designed the game- if you want passive benefits you choose three bulletins of your preference, no longer are passives limited to what doctrine you chose. In addition, with the limit of doctrines being five things, the five slots can be given to unit call-ins and off-map abilities, which are also not the realm of bulletins.
With that said, some of the CoH1 passive abilities could really work in this game, they just need to become timed abilities with a munitions cost. I would for example gladly utilize Advanced Warning in this game instead of a very unreliable recon plane.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★