Login

russian armor

Panzer IV Medium tank - Fastest Build?

2 May 2015, 19:02 PM

What is the fastest build order to get the Panzer IV Medium tank out for Ostheer?

I appreciate all input.

Thank You,
2 May 2015, 19:06 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Pio, Pio, Pio, Pio, Pio, Pio, or Osttruppen or Assault Grens ... Battlephase 1 & 2 , PIV. That would be the best approach technically.

But that won't work in reality, so the best thing you can do is go heavy T1 and achieve early mapcontrol and then into a PIV.
2 May 2015, 19:07 PM

If I aim for a P4 I usually build 4 Grens + Mortar, Skip T2 against USF if I am sure that no M20 will arrive and go for T3. The P4 will arrive after about 9-12 minutes.
But this strat is very risky as you have no counter against any light vehicles until you get your tank.
If everything goes as planned you can rumble your enemy pretty good.
But it's a must to get up T2 as soon as possible after your P4 because you need reliable AT units.
2 May 2015, 19:55 PM

try luftwaffe doctrine for additional 50fuel
2 May 2015, 20:36 PM

try luftwaffe doctrine for additional 50fuel

This is your best bet if you want a p4 as soon as possible.
2 May 2015, 21:15 PM

Permanently Banned
DOnt build P4 wait tiger :snfQuinn:
2 May 2015, 21:27 PM

If I aim for a P4 I usually build 4 Grens + Mortar, Skip T2 against USF if I am sure that no M20 will arrive and go for T3. The P4 will arrive after about 9-12 minutes.
But this strat is very risky as you have no counter against any light vehicles until you get your tank.
If everything goes as planned you can rumble your enemy pretty good.
But it's a must to get up T2 as soon as possible after your P4 because you need reliable AT units.

Can you make a video of you getting the PIV out in 9-12 minutes, I just tried a game just now and had 1 fuel cahce up and it still took me like 14-15 minutes and other guy had 2 T34s =/ . I had to back track and get At guns.... Please help me fix this otherwise I think its little unbalance... The T34 and Sherman are already better tanks.

Ill try the try luftwaffe doctrine. See if this helps.
2 May 2015, 21:35 PM

I wouldn't use Luftwaffe to rush because it will A. leave you with no late game armor, and B. no infantry due to lack of manpower.

In general Ostheer is discouraged from rushing simply by the fact the Pak40 can normally handle medium armor with support.
2 May 2015, 21:51 PM

This is your best bet if you want a p4 as soon as possible.

Thats only if you can hold the gas, P4 should come out faster....
2 May 2015, 22:09 PM

could a command tank be quicker? or is the CP cost too high?
2 May 2015, 22:17 PM

could a command tank be quicker? or is the CP cost too high?

The power of mobile defense is that you can skip T3 because you get the Puma for AT and the CPIV for AI. Not to mention the .8 damage reduction from the CPIV.
2 May 2015, 22:22 PM

Just tried the luftwaffe doctrine, good thought in theory... its almost your just stuck with just few doctrines to make up for not getting out a PIV, which seem like they come out to late..

So question is, why even have a PIV option if its almost useless for the time frame it comes out... weird to me
2 May 2015, 22:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 May 2015, 22:22 PMiceman
Just tried the luftwaffe doctrine, good thought in theory... its almost your just stuck with just few doctrines to make up for not getting out a PIV, which seem like they come out to late..

So question is, why even have a PIV option if its almost useless for the time frame it comes out... weird to me

there was a time when you could build 2 mg's and a sniper, and go straight to a p4 before a soviet player could have a t34/zis out (smoke and blitz just laughed at it anyways). add a gren squad if you felt morally obliged not to float, and then add a pgren squad after your second p4 just to add insult to injury... it was bad.

:3
2 May 2015, 22:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 May 2015, 22:22 PMiceman

Yet it's the best stock medium tank in the game.
2 May 2015, 22:52 PM

I think the Panzer IV can´t be rushed reliably any longer.

It´s good for forcing the Allied player to invest on anti tank. It´s also good to kill off infantry while the Soviet player is saving for the inevitable T-34/85 or IS-2. You can punish the Soviet call in meta in a short time window and hopefully collect some vet. The Panzer IV only becomes reliable vs vehicles at vet2 imo. But if the Soviet player then finally has his T-34/85 or IS-2 and you are stuck with only Panzer IVs and no Paks, you are going to lose.
2 May 2015, 22:58 PM

I think the Panzer IV can´t be rushed reliably any longer.

It´s good for forcing the Allied player to invest on anti tank. It´s also good to kill off infantry while the Soviet player is saving for the inevitable T-34/85 or IS-2. You can punish the Soviet call in meta in a short time window and hopefully collect some vet. The Panzer IV only becomes reliable vs vehicles at vet2 imo. But if the Soviet player then finally has his T-34/85 or IS-2 and you are stuck with only Panzer IVs and no Paks, you are going to lose.

Thats why you build Paks afterwards you genius. The best AT gun in the game.
2 May 2015, 23:02 PM

p4 is the second. m4A3 is the best imo
2 May 2015, 23:18 PM

Thats why you build Paks afterwards you genius. The best AT gun in the game.
Do you want to to nag? ;)

Read the comment as: "Build Paks after you have built the Panzer IV." It´s not that hard unless you don´t want to understand it.

Thing is: If I go for Paks directly and then tech into a Panther I´m usually better off lategame. The only possibility to get out better with the Panzer IV (and then back teching to Paks)is if you utilize it to the max in the 5 minute time-frame until Soviet call ins arrive.
2 May 2015, 23:32 PM

there was a time when you could build 2 mg's and a sniper, and go straight to a p4 before a soviet player could have a t34/zis out (smoke and blitz just laughed at it anyways). add a gren squad if you felt morally obliged not to float, and then add a pgren squad after your second p4 just to add insult to injury... it was bad.

:3

yeah, but just fliping it the other way didnt fix it.... where now allies get the tanks out faster and are better tanks.
3 May 2015, 00:35 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

It was fine before call-ins ruled the game and WFA got released, it'll probably be fine after the former and Wehrmacht teching gets fixed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★