Login

russian armor

Crawling Penal Satchel Charge Party Patrol

2 May 2015, 09:41 AM

well i mean, he does keep asking if you're in need of a suicide squad. maybe the ability oughta be unique to penals ^^

ohhh come now jaedrik! you're being far too tame! upon success the unit drops a half-cooked entity, nade, satchel etc, in the vicinity of the offending squad :D
risk reward!! .. right??

Relevant video of leaked beta testing of Turbo's suggestion:

But yes, back on topic.

Perhaps make suppression resistance a veterancy reward for penals? I mean, I know Relic hates to be historical and all, but, a suicide squad should probably have some benefits in that sphere.
2 May 2015, 12:56 PM

The only decent thing the penal have and you want to take this away from them!
2 May 2015, 13:07 PM

Permanently Banned
I think problem is not in penals, You do somthing wrong, try to watch repley and understand where You mistake, places, build oerder and another.

And Alexander You are fun dude :).
2 May 2015, 15:15 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I think problem is not in penals, You do somthing wrong, try to watch repley and understand where You mistake, places, build oerder and another.

Better still-let's see the replay, please, Hawking :)
2 May 2015, 15:23 PM

Now, I should, first, mention that this is not an advisable tactic.
If the other person gets lucky and knows what they're doing, and, should RNG favour them, it might not work.

But man, am I tired of Penal blobs crawling up to my Schwerer headquarters and lobbing satchel charges at it. Just came off of a 1v1 on Langreskaya in which this dude decided that three Penal squads was an appropriate build. I saw them coming, thankfully, and managed to lay down suppression from an MG34 and my Schwerer HQ, but, goddamn, they did an Olympic 100 meter crawl over to the Panzer HQ, lobbed Satchels at their feet and sprinted off :snfCHVGame:

Needless to say, it nearly worked. Nearly. (Thank you based Luchs, remover of blobs)

Satchel charges should be a resource that is to be used sparingly and carefully, rewarding good micro and flanking. I don't think it's appropriate for Penals to be able to lob Satchel Charges while suppressed, let alone at full range after crawling half a zone directly at the thing suppressing them(which is a whole other thread on 'nades v suppression, which has already been discussed to death.)

There's a reason Oorah is a veterancy perk, Penals aren't meant to do the same job as Cons right off the bat. Would it be a good idea to give Penals less suppression resistance, or, get them pinned more easily to better befit and encourage them as a flanking/micro intensive unit as opposed to the Super Stalin Satchel Squad?

I can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. Mirco and Flanking? As opposed to what? Attack moved volks shreck blobs or ober blobs or PF blobs charging into allied MGs and winning? It not enough that OKW has a BASE building on the field to lock down an entire area for most of the game once it's placed. Post a replay of OKW mirco and flanking and prove me wrong. Then we can talk about nerfing penals ANTI BUILDING satchel charges.
2 May 2015, 19:25 PM

And Alexander You are fun dude :).

Did you seriously not read the OP? he's not asking for a nerf to penals he's just asking for them not to be able to throw satchel charges while suppressed, and they shouldn't.

I can't tell if this is a troll thread or not. Mirco and Flanking? As opposed to what? Attack moved volks shreck blobs or ober blobs or PF blobs charging into allied MGs and winning? It not enough that OKW has a BASE building on the field to lock down an entire area for most of the game once it's placed. Post a replay of OKW mirco and flanking and prove me wrong. Then we can talk about nerfing penals ANTI BUILDING satchel charges.

There was no flanking involved, the dude just charged his penals in, got suppressed, and was then threw satchel charges on his HQ.

No unit (including Axis units) should be able to throw grenades while suppressed, or as commash suggested just make it way easier to pin units so they don't get the ability to nade you despite doing everything you were supposed to do.

And if you want to see a replay of OKW microing and flanking; I present you with this.

http://www.coh2.org/replay/34128/crashing-their-winstreak
2 May 2015, 20:50 PM

Permanently Banned

Did you seriously not read the OP? he's not asking for a nerf to penals he's just asking for them not to be able to throw satchel charges while suppressed, and they shouldn't.

It was about You opinion of soviet units :p.
2 May 2015, 22:38 PM

Removing a feature of a squad is categorically a nerf.

This'd be like arguing that removing all squad upgrades from German infantry wouldn't be a nerf.
2 May 2015, 22:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 May 2015, 22:38 PMacosn

Removing a feature of a squad is categorically a nerf.

This'd be like arguing that removing all squad upgrades from German infantry wouldn't be a nerf.

you know penals are not the only squad that can throw things while suppressed right? not being able to throw frangible explosives while suppressed would affect just as many axis squads as allied ones.
2 May 2015, 23:45 PM

Didn't save that reply, I'll play a few games as Soviet this morning and see if I can't get something to put up in the name of science™.

Also, I think a number of replies in this thread have been people selectively reading what they want to see. I never stated Penals were OP. I never said it was a problem specific to OKW. All I've been saying is that Penals should not be able to run directly up to a suppression platform, drop something as powerful as a Satchel at their feet(Again, not a problem with the ability itself, just how it's being used), and get away. It just so happens to be slightly more ridiculous when that suppression platform happens to be something that is usually countered by armour or indirect fire.

And, as Alex has said, it's not a problem unique to Penals. Now, I can't go into it, but, [NDA INTENSIFIES], it might be getting looked at in the near future. We shall see. :snfPeter:
3 May 2015, 01:06 AM

Permanently Banned

And, as Alex has said, it's not a problem unique to Penals. Now, I can't go into it, but, [NDA INTENSIFIES], it might be getting looked at in the near future. We shall see. :snfPeter:

Those fuckboys at relic better make grenades have less range with suppression. It requires no thinking or testing. Its one of those changes that is literally only a good thing for overall balance. It's a plain as day good idea to implement.
3 May 2015, 01:27 AM

Penal satchel charges are so painfully short range that, frankly, odds are they would be literally incapable of throwing it and not blowing their own face up. Satchel charge range is very very similar to the explosion radius, and throwing mechanics are janky.

Regardless. You didn't 'do it right'. Doing it right would have been suppressing the penals and using some other unit to kill them. Suppression tools are not the be all and end all of combat. Suppression should be counterable with muni abilities if the squads can get close enough. Stopping squads doing the one thing that can dislodge an MG will go a long way back to the miserable experience that was beta MG play. And unlike than, oorah is no longer free.

It's sort of depressing that the forums seem to be simultaneously clamouring for MG's to get massive suppression buffs and also for suppression to be utterly crippling.

The status you seem to be dreaming of is called pinned. It's already in the game. If a squad is crawling towards your MG, reposition the sodding thing, don't watch it catch a grenade and them come cry on the forums that the counter to a motionless MG is countering a motionless MG.

As for you losing your HQ; defend it better next time. It's a base tech building. It's comical that it's allowed to also be a damage dealing monster but if you put it outside your base you have to accept that people are going to be able to kill it with 145MU of building-counter-grenades. That's what satchels are ostensibly for, after all. Countering buildings. It just so happens that some buildings shoot back.
(As it happens, apparently a luchs arrived in time, so I guess you did do it right in the end, but really? You still came and complained on the forums, so I stand by my you're doing it wrong.)

As for the whole 'penals should only be flanking', ooh, you're right. I'll flank the building with 360 degree arc and a huge gun on it that also provides LoS. Geeneeus.

I also have no idea where you got your perception of what, exactly, Penals are supposed to be doing.. but flame-throwers, huge bombs, sprinting? How much more do you need to suggest that maybe penal battalions are assault units? How about the description in their unit profile that says 'they must succeed in their assaults or die trying?'
3 May 2015, 13:13 PM
Donator 11

As for the whole 'penals should only be flanking', ooh, you're right. I'll flank the building with 360 degree arc and a huge gun on it that also provides LoS. Geeneeus.
'

+1
3 May 2015, 19:06 PM

I just think its funny that we have a thread calling for the nerf of a unit that never gets made because they're shit
3 May 2015, 19:08 PM

I just think its funny that we have a thread calling for the nerf of a unit that never gets made because they're shit

Good thing the thread isn't call for a nerf then.
3 May 2015, 19:10 PM

I don't think it's appropriate for Penals to be able to lob Satchel Charges while suppressed

don't you get tired of being a clown alex?
3 May 2015, 19:23 PM

I was, for a long time, of the same opinion.

But man... flamethrowers are really, really handy.
3 May 2015, 19:43 PM

don't you get tired of being a clown alex?

It's not appropriate for any unit to throw things while suppressed. Do you really think it's fair that infantry can negate infantry counters just by crawling up to something and throwing an explosive?

The OP out right states that it's bullshit for any unit to do it, except the issue is exacerbated with penals due to the power of the satchel charge.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★