Login

russian armor

Crawling Penal Satchel Charge Party Patrol

2 May 2015, 01:59 AM

Now, I should, first, mention that this is not an advisable tactic.
If the other person gets lucky and knows what they're doing, and, should RNG favour them, it might not work.

But man, am I tired of Penal blobs crawling up to my Schwerer headquarters and lobbing satchel charges at it. Just came off of a 1v1 on Langreskaya in which this dude decided that three Penal squads was an appropriate build. I saw them coming, thankfully, and managed to lay down suppression from an MG34 and my Schwerer HQ, but, goddamn, they did an Olympic 100 meter crawl over to the Panzer HQ, lobbed Satchels at their feet and sprinted off :snfCHVGame:

Needless to say, it nearly worked. Nearly. (Thank you based Luchs, remover of blobs)

Satchel charges should be a resource that is to be used sparingly and carefully, rewarding good micro and flanking. I don't think it's appropriate for Penals to be able to lob Satchel Charges while suppressed, let alone at full range after crawling half a zone directly at the thing suppressing them(which is a whole other thread on 'nades v suppression, which has already been discussed to death.)

There's a reason Oorah is a veterancy perk, Penals aren't meant to do the same job as Cons right off the bat. Would it be a good idea to give Penals less suppression resistance, or, get them pinned more easily to better befit and encourage them as a flanking/micro intensive unit as opposed to the Super Stalin Satchel Squad?
2 May 2015, 02:05 AM

lol, a nerf penals thread
2 May 2015, 02:13 AM

lol, a nerf penals thread

Penals being able to throw satchels while suppressed is just as retarded as any unit being able to throw a nade while suppressed.
2 May 2015, 02:20 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

1 MG34 will never pin an ant,let alone 3 squads of penals,and schebergruber HQ only targets one squad at once and its pretty RNG whether itll pin or not if theres any sort of cover in the way.
2 May 2015, 02:25 AM

1 MG34 will never pin an ant,let alone 3 squads of penals,and schebergruber HQ only targets one squad at once and its pretty RNG whether itll pin or not if theres any sort of cover in the way.

Yeah, was targeting down the other two squads that the SchnitzelGrooble HQ wasn't shooting at with the MG, and was in the process of turning a second MG on them. Anyway. Not suggesting a nerf as such on Penals, I just suspect that encouraging them to be used a little more smartly by punishing openly charging suppressing weapons would benefit the flow of early Soviet, both for the guy playing it, and the guy playing against it. Conscripts should be the go-to unit for the meat grinder. :bananadance:
2 May 2015, 02:43 AM
Patrion 14

This is a problem with thrown explosives in general. I really feel like the threshold for pinning a unit should be lowered, so that a unit gets suppressed in the same amount of time, but gets pinned 1-2 bursts after the suppression kicks in. This would force players to be more intelligent and decisive in their tactics, and make mgs more potent as a suppressing weapon.

Alternatively we could cut the range of grenades in half when suppressed, making them not very viable as frontal engagement weapons.

Both of these would go a long way towards nerfing blob mentalities, though the half grenade range one is far more conservative.
2 May 2015, 02:50 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I unno, I really haven't seen Schwerers ever let infantry survive getting into grenade range, let alone satchel range - all my attempts to do so ends in wipes...I'd agree with comm_ash's sentiment in general, but Penal charges really haven't made me think of them being a distinct part of the problem. That sounds more like a possibly not-well-placed Schwerer to me.
2 May 2015, 02:55 AM

Penals being able to throw satchels while suppressed is just as retarded as any unit being able to throw a nade while suppressed.

Except that Germans swim in suppression mechanics.

Maybe you need to accept that there's consequences to building your OKW loltrucks outside your base?
2 May 2015, 02:56 AM

i'm surprised to the point of skepticism that the schwerer didn't suppress on sight.
2 May 2015, 03:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 May 2015, 02:55 AMacosn

Except that Germans swim in suppression mechanics.

Maybe you need to accept that there's consequences to building your OKW loltrucks outside your base?

Do you seriously not use the maxim or .50 cal? Because both are good at what they do. The MG34 is worse than both.

Infantry being able to crawl up to any suppression platform and kill it with frangible explosives is insanely dumb considering throwing objects tends to be hard when your face is in the dirt.

2 May 2015, 03:24 AM

Infantry being able to crawl up to any suppression platform and kill it with frangible explosives is insanely dumb considering throwing objects tends to be hard when your face is in the dirt.

This, basically, except most Infantry squads don't carry ordinance big enough to damage a teching facility of a faction, or to wipe a machine-gun it's crawled into in one fell sweep, especially a squad that has six models. I think Ash's suggestion would be a good way the handle the matter. Like I said in the OP, I don't think Penals are overpowered in any sense of the word, I think the way they currently play encourages a lolsatchel mentality instead of being forced to use them smartly.
2 May 2015, 04:36 AM

I have idea

We could make the model throwing things
Stand up and gain red cover
That way the MG has a way to maybe prevent the throw
If it aims at the right thing
2 May 2015, 04:55 AM

I have idea

2 May 2015, 04:58 AM
Donator 11

2 May 2015, 07:10 AM

Do you seriously not use the maxim or .50 cal? Because both are good at what they do. The MG34 is worse than both.

Maybe I'm missing something but the Soviet players who use Maxims tend to get their asses handed to them. Ostheer players can just lay in on them with rifle grenades.

And the .50 cal is just shit.
2 May 2015, 08:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 May 2015, 07:10 AMacosn

Maybe I'm missing something but the Soviet players who use Maxims tend to get their asses handed to them. Ostheer players can just lay in on them with rifle grenades.

And the .50 cal is just shit.

The .50 cal suppresses on the first burst, and uh, the maxim is fairly easy to use unless your micro is literal garbage lol.
2 May 2015, 08:08 AM

If you let penals destroy your op flakhq you are doing something wrong
2 May 2015, 08:37 AM
Donator 11

you want to nerf penals? hesus!
2 May 2015, 08:42 AM

you want to nerf penals? hesus!

-snip-
Like I said in the OP, I don't think Penals are overpowered in any sense of the word, I think the way they currently play encourages a lolsatchel mentality instead of being forced to use them smartly.
2 May 2015, 09:08 AM

Like I said in the OP, I don't think Penals are overpowered in any sense of the word, I think the way they currently play encourages a lolsatchel mentality instead of being forced to use them smartly.

well i mean, he does keep asking if you're in need of a suicide squad. maybe the ability oughta be unique to penals ^^

I have idea

ohhh come now jaedrik! you're being far too tame! upon success the unit drops a half-cooked entity, nade, satchel etc, in the vicinity of the offending squad :D
risk reward!! .. right??
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS