Login

russian armor

Lets Make: A New UI

22 Apr 2015, 15:50 PM
Donator 11

Hello Coh2.org! A week ago I asked about how we could make the worst patch ever and now I am back and have another thing to ask. How can we make Coh2's UI better??
  • How should it look
  • Should it change per faction?
  • Would you allow for people to edit it
  • What would you add
  • What would you remove

So coh2.org lets show relic what we would like to see :)
22 Apr 2015, 16:08 PM

I think overall the UI is really well made and I don't have any serious grievances with it. I think the taskbar looks clean and efficient, but there is always room for improvements on small details, so here goes!

• Unit stats instead of a description (if that even counts as a UI issue instead of an info one), as well as more specific descriptions of what each level of veterancy does
  • Available weapon slots left in the squad, especially useful for USF
  • A way to see all weapons held by squad. As it stands, if, for example, you have a BAR and bazooka equipped on one squad, the squad icon will only show the weapon picked up first
  • Shermans need an easy to see indicator of whether they're using HE or AP shells (invisible to enemies)
  • Custom hotkeys, though I don't know if you count that as UI
  • Being able to turn off territory markers in-game
  • Being able to adjust the overall size of the taskbar like you can do in replays
  • Maybe some sort of toggleable indicator of where close, mid, and long distance modifiers take effect for each unit (think: more detailed version of radius snipers get)
  • Kubelwagen really, really needs a hold position button. I hate when it rotates or chases on its own and loses its suppression

Here are some of the small details that are currently in that I really appreciate it.
  • Circle becomes larger or smaller depending on range when using. barrage abilities on artillery
  • Range circle around snipers
  • Ability to fire at only tanks for certain units
  • Very easy to access any unit at any time because of the upper right hand corner icons
  • Veterancy progress
  • Descriptive icons on tactical map
22 Apr 2015, 16:44 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

For some background:

http://www.coh2.org/news/1319/first-look-company-of-heroes-2-in-game-ui

EDIT : Please do not necro the thread.

22 Apr 2015, 16:49 PM
Patrion 14

The only thing I would like to see changed is get rid of the huge box with useless information, and put the stats the troops gain from veterancy there.
22 Apr 2015, 16:54 PM

Kothre pointed out many useful features. I don't think we need HUD that changes colours or skin depending of faction, although HUD skins is something that could be put into DLCs and War Spoils. I would only want same hotkeys and same status bar unit abilities' places.
22 Apr 2015, 18:02 PM

Maybe I'm gonna do a mockup for a possible layout tomorrow or in the next few days, we'll see :)
22 Apr 2015, 19:11 PM
Donator 11

Maybe I'm gonna do a mockup for a possible layout tomorrow or in the next few days, we'll see :)

That would be sick!
22 Apr 2015, 20:26 PM

My main concern is the performance, currently the UI is messed up in terms of frame rate and coding and stuff, they game freezes when you bring up the tactical map.
23 Apr 2015, 03:07 AM

how about fix colors for players, i mean in 3v3, 4v4 some time my teammate says "yellow help me", or "green go flank" I had no idea who they referring to. because we all see ourselves as blue, and i see teammate's unit which could be other colors i don't know who's units is it unless i click it.

also more range indicators like mine swiper, nade range, tanks shooting range for elephant, jagtiger, ISU 152 and have a hot key able to toggle it off and on. I think it could be great for unskilled players.
23 Apr 2015, 04:02 AM

aesthetically i'll add that i really like the design of the portraits, i think the faded picture motif is really cool and i wish they did more with it.
23 Apr 2015, 07:25 AM

how about fix colors for players, i mean in 3v3, 4v4 some time my teammate says "yellow help me", or "green go flank" I had no idea who they referring to. because we all see ourselves as blue, and i see teammate's unit which could be other colors i don't know who's units is it unless i click it.

also more range indicators like mine swiper, nade range, tanks shooting range for elephant, jagtiger, ISU 152 and have a hot key able to toggle it off and on. I think it could be great for unskilled players.

If your teammates can't figure out that they are blue every single time and there is no "blue" or "green" player, their mental capabilities are questionable. :jk:

You don't have to click on a unit, just hold down Ctrl on your keyboard.
23 Apr 2015, 08:01 AM
Patrion 14

make UI take less resources so the game runs better.
23 Apr 2015, 08:59 AM

Circle markers around capture points and boundary markers of territories should be thinner. It is too thick now.

Even boundary markers can be toggled on/off.
23 Apr 2015, 10:11 AM
Benefactor 115

The UI is pretty much ok, what I would like is more meaningful live stats for obs like units killed, mp drained, wipes, total fuel/muni income and so on
23 Apr 2015, 12:26 PM

I would like to be able to turn off the unit description panel, since I have the actual text disabled.

The unit portraits are also too large imo.
23 Apr 2015, 12:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2015, 07:25 AMRMMLz

If your teammates can't figure out that they are blue every single time and there is no "blue" or "green" player, their mental capabilities are questionable. :jk:

You don't have to click on a unit, just hold down Ctrl on your keyboard.

This is actually an interesting comment, I don't know if Relic assigns the same colors in any UI and don't know which color is assigned to me.
In 4vs4, Enemy players share 2 or 3 colors, purple and red and pink which sometime lead me in confusion. I think Purple player (facing me at start) is pushing somewhere else but no, its another player...

BTW, for those who read us and don't understand what I am talking about, go into option, interface and set the player/color parameter on so every game a color will be assigned to a player (like in a replay)
23 Apr 2015, 16:07 PM
Donator 11

Why is their UI so framerate taxing? you can take i off and you get around 10-15 more frames then you did before.

Also if you hit ctrl + ~ you can see what rank people are and what commanders they go in game
23 Apr 2015, 18:00 PM
Donator 11

Rank is completely usless information, it should be removed and replaced with damage count or sth like that. Also I heard some suggestions that it would be nice to have a way of seeing the information you get on the loading screen like possible enemy commanders.
23 Apr 2015, 18:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2015, 12:59 PMEsxile

This is actually an interesting comment, I don't know if Relic assigns the same colors in any UI and don't know which color is assigned to me.
In 4vs4, Enemy players share 2 or 3 colors, purple and red and pink which sometime lead me in confusion. I think Purple player (facing me at start) is pushing somewhere else but no, its another player...

BTW, for those who read us and don't understand what I am talking about, go into option, interface and set the player/color parameter on so every game a color will be assigned to a player (like in a replay)

It's necessary for each player to have a fixed color so you can address your teammates, and it would be nice to see better contrast in colors as you said.
24 Apr 2015, 01:35 AM

I remember being annoyed at the unit icon giving way less kills-detail when selected, and you had to mouse over the kill count to see what they were. That was a change from CoH1, IIRC.

I also feel like the new tactical map is terrible and hard to use, like the territory sectors are too easy to click / take up too much space. I can't quite remember exactly in what way it was worse, but I found it much easier in coh1 to use.

Also, there needs to be some way to separate "take cover" and "vault obstacle" commands. So many fucking times I've told my units to take cover, but because of the angle the camera was on relative to the cover, it interpreted that as an order to vault and I wind up on the wrong side of green cover getting charged by enemies. Maybe there could be a button you could hold to disable vaulting, or make vaulting require that button.

I think there were changes to pinging but I can't remember precisely what they were, just that I was not a fan. I think it might have been the removal of attack/defend/capture pings or maybe it was that they changed the hot keys or something. My memory is really hazy. But whatever it was, I was grumpy about it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★