Login

russian armor

Ostheer, the never ending struggle

PAGES (13)down
12 Apr 2015, 18:31 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The back in the day struggle when it was just Sovs and Ons, MG42 spam opening that supressed on the first burst and pinned on the 2ed.

*shudders*

Dark days.
12 Apr 2015, 18:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2015, 18:31 PMVuther

*shudders*

Dark days.

And the only reply we got back was:

"Flank them."

Yes, so your second and third MG can set up in the back.
12 Apr 2015, 19:10 PM

I want to point out that Grenadiers scale a hell of a lot better into the late-game than MG42s. So double MG42s might work early, but you're losing a certain degree of your late-game potency.
12 Apr 2015, 19:18 PM

Permanently Banned

Multiple people are saying that 2 MG42 work and yet you keep insisting they don't.
Did you even consider maybe you are doing something wrong?

never said they don't work, said they work on certain maps. READ
12 Apr 2015, 19:20 PM

Permanently Banned

with their large arcs, you can create and arc of cover fire that looks like this:

.__ __.
/.........\

The dots are just place fillers to make the figure work.

This is a general look, you can adjust the angles appropriately based on where the force lies. The gist is that you prepare for the army to attack a key route, which should be in the middle of the two mgs.

In the USF case when they approach your set up defense, they can smoke one or both but not before being slowed down by the suppression from being two mgs. simply kite back the one that is smoked not only backwards but towards your other mg's arc. The best way to save an mg is to soft retreat it into another covering arc. Your other supporting infantry should be around laying down fire. Any suppressed targets will remain suppressed so that leaves only a part of the US force free to move in pursuit or preposition.

If you have them covering different areas, as long as they are supported (single mgs die to counter harrasment vehicles or just two units spread out) you can cover a larger part of the map, but the dissadvantage is your forces a spread thin. A long ranged blob, or concentrated mortar fire can open up one of the flanks leaving you vulnerable to a central, and supported flank attack.

Really it boils down to the map, and a judgement call, but given enough practice it will become easier to tell which one of the set ups will work best at the give time.

Yeahhh smoke nade says hahahha no wayyyy
12 Apr 2015, 19:34 PM

Yeahhh smoke nade says hahahha no wayyyy

That is where the idea of supported Kiting comes in. Ostheer has great long ranged (and medium, Pgrens will murder any units who try to get close) tools to use.
12 Apr 2015, 19:51 PM

do you guys just sit there while they smoke you or what? like fuckin pack up as soon as you hear the grenade alert and see the dude kneeling for a smoke.
12 Apr 2015, 20:11 PM

....but once it hits vet you can incind rounds to rip right through light vehicles that approach.

In theory, but not in practice. MG42 incendiary special has a very long reload animation which gives opponent a long window to leisurely kill off the MG/flank before it finishes. On top of which, you must pray that the gunner isn't killed or the whole process drags on even longer--the whole time the MG is not firing, by the way.

...what about grenades and smoke? you can hear and see when riflemen are about to throw grenades and smoke. so pack up ur fucking mg and reposition it.

This comment is fairly amateurish and seems to ignore completely, the fact that MG42's can't reposition. The pack-up animation is REALLY long, and the unit walks slowly, that you're going to be overwhelmed by the allied player. Especially if he has shocks (which have smoke!). Regardless of the allied unit, as soon as you see smoke, the best option is to retreat or lose the MG outright. This is the case, 99% of the time.
12 Apr 2015, 20:21 PM

In theory, but not in practice. MG42 incendiary special has a very long reload animation which gives opponent a long window to leisurely kill off the MG/flank before it finishes. On top of which, you must pray that the gunner isn't killed or the whole process drags on even longer--the whole time the MG is not firing, by the way.

This comment is fairly amateurish and seems to ignore completely, the fact that MG42's can't reposition. The pack-up animation is REALLY long, and the unit walks slowly, that you're going to be overwhelmed by the allied player. Especially if he has shocks (which have smoke!). Regardless of the allied unit, as soon as you see smoke, the best option is to retreat or lose the MG outright. This is the case, 99% of the time.

thats why you should use incind rounds when youre inside a building. the opponent does not see the mg42 reload when its in a structure. in addition the reload is same length as a regular reload.

your comment seems fairly amateurish and seems to ignore completely the fact that you should have supporting infantry, and even supporting machine guns to reposition to face units advancing through smoke.
12 Apr 2015, 20:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

And that's what happen with any faction. Maps in some cases are more imba than some "meta" issues.

@Lemon, it's pretty clear by your crappy performance with Axis, that MG doesn't work.
:bananadance:
12 Apr 2015, 20:42 PM

thats why you should use incind rounds when youre inside a building. the opponent does not see the mg42 reload when its in a structure. in addition the reload is same length as a regular reload.

your comment seems fairly amateurish and seems to ignore completely the fact that you should have supporting infantry, and even supporting machine guns to reposition to face units advancing through smoke.

Your reasoning is so flawed I don't feel I need to directly address or bother trying to convince you.

Fact is AXIS struggle from start to finish, and actually OKW have a much harder time now than OST. SOVIET is easy, stress free play.
12 Apr 2015, 20:45 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

It doesnt matter what you say Lemon. They'll just say "no ur wrong" for another 5 pages.
Unless you want to boost your post count. :megusta:
12 Apr 2015, 21:01 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Ridiculously true. There's a lot of maps that would make me never even consider playing Ostheer if there was not the ability to ban them. But of course then, it might be more just a problem with the maps though.

And that's what happen with any faction. Maps in some cases are more imba than some "meta" issues.

I'd admit it usually isn't quite as frustrating when it happens with the other factions though, considering Ostheer's reliance on combined arms...but that again might go back to their initial MP deficiency exacerbating the problem. Having trouble pulling off the tactics you're made for because of the environment kinda sucks, having trouble pulling off the tactics you're made for because of the environment and you have less units is hell.
12 Apr 2015, 21:05 PM

Your reasoning is so flawed I don't feel I need to directly address or bother trying to convince you.

Fact is AXIS struggle from start to finish, and actually OKW have a much harder time now than OST. SOVIET is easy, stress free play.

Dude... you have no slightest clue.
His playercard shows us that your fact is pure bullshit and he does know what he speaks about in this particular case. Somehow he doesn't seem to struggle, neither do I when playing ost. Must be because WE DO NOT GREN SPAM LIKE MORONS.

How about you take an advise for player who is clearly better then you(Lemon in this case) and learn to play?
12 Apr 2015, 21:17 PM

It doesnt matter what you say Lemon. They'll just say "no ur wrong" for another 5 pages.
Unless you want to boost your post count. :megusta:

i could careless about the idiots who post misinformation, but there are a lot of people who read but dont post that may have their opinion changed and try to play wehr combined arms style instead of gren spam like a lot of players currently play.
12 Apr 2015, 22:25 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I want to point out that Grenadiers scale a hell of a lot better into the late-game than MG42s. So double MG42s might work early, but you're losing a certain degree of your late-game potency.

Then the other HMGs are total garbage late-game because there's no HMG I'd rather have at vet 3 (well, HMG34 is obviously very good at vet 5, but I'll admit that's way less likely than HMG42s to vet 3). At that point, it'll easily use its fire-arc to its full extent, suppress blobs nigh instantly and even pins them pretty fast if they're out of cover.
12 Apr 2015, 22:26 PM

I've switched over to Soviets from playing Ostheer.I totally agree with "SOVIET is easy".
12 Apr 2015, 22:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2015, 22:26 PMiceman

I've switched over to Soviets from playing Ostheer.I totally agree with "SOVIET is easy".

Cool story bro, tell us when you leave placement games.
12 Apr 2015, 22:48 PM

Permanently Banned

i could careless about the idiots who post misinformation,

That hurts :guyokay:
12 Apr 2015, 22:50 PM

Ostheer is simply the most challenging, but really potent well played properly.

4 Rifles vs 4 Grens = Ost loses
4 Rifles vs 3 Grens + Mg42 = Ost wins

A lot of player fail to micro Ost properly, and wipes are far easier achieved with all other factions.
PAGES (13)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 51
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak