Login

russian armor

British Faction, what do you want to see?

PAGES (17)down
30 Apr 2015, 14:42 PM

Gliders with heavy crush. Land on blob, obliterate survivors on retreat <444>3
30 Apr 2015, 17:02 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

All i want is commando infantry in gliders. ALL I WANT

Please! As much as I may respect you, do not make the Relic mistake of confusing British Airborne with British Commandos.

Commandos came from the sea... Airborne from the sky.....British Commandos wore Green berets...British Airborne wore Red berets (well, strictly-speaking, Maroon berets - so I do not have BeltFedWombat up my arse again)
30 Apr 2015, 18:09 PM

Please! As much as I may respect you, do not make the Relic mistake of confusing British Airborne with British Commandos.

Commandos came from the sea... Airborne from the sky.....British Commandos wore Green berets...British Airborne wore Red berets (well, strictly-speaking, Maroon berets - so I do not have BeltFedWombat up my arse again)

Why did Relic name them Commandos then?
30 Apr 2015, 18:10 PM

Why did Relic name them Commandos then?

The same reason all the US medics wear Swiss flags.
30 Apr 2015, 18:40 PM

The same reason all the US medics wear Swiss flags.

I think that has more to do with that they're not allowed to use the red cross or something, I have no idea why they wouldn't use it otherwise. CoH1 also had medics with the proper red cross before release, but they changed it to the Swiss flag when it released for some reason.
30 Apr 2015, 20:35 PM

I think the confusion comes between the differences in the Commando units as they were created in WW2, and how they exist today.

British Commando Wiki:

''However, the present day Royal Marine Commandos, Parachute Regiment, Special Air Service, and Special Boat Service trace their origins to the original Commandos.''

So perhaps Relic wasnt getting it wrong mixing Para berets with the commando name. I know more about these units in present day than I do their origional conception.
30 Apr 2015, 20:40 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think that has more to do with that they're not allowed to use the red cross or something, I have no idea why they wouldn't use it otherwise. CoH1 also had medics with the proper red cross before release, but they changed it to the Swiss flag when it released for some reason.

Yeah, the Red Cross' logo is protected and they take it pretty seriously so I'd expect that would be the reason as well.
30 Apr 2015, 20:57 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I think the confusion comes between the differences in the Commando units as they were created in WW2, and how they exist today.

British Commando Wiki:

''However, the present day Royal Marine Commandos, Parachute Regiment, Special Air Service, and Special Boat Service trace their origins to the original Commandos.''

So perhaps Relic wasnt getting it wrong mixing Para berets with the commando name. I know more about these units in present day than I do their origional conception.

Nice to know Wiki supports me, Charlie :)

Yes! In essence, everything emanates from the original Army Commandos - the Special Services.

The original Army Commandos - inevitably, I suppose - were split up, with some sent to North Africa,and others to East India - to the Arakan.

In North Africa, the Commando became diffused, and the SAS/SBS spawned from that.

The RM Commandos were a later addition, somewhat frowned upon, by the original Commando leaders like Lord Lovat, who did not want units drafted in wholesale to the Commandos.

The Army Commandos wore Green berets, with their cap badge being their regiment of origin. The later RM Commandos wore Green Berets, with their RM cap badge.

The Airborne- parachutists or airlanding -all wore Maroon berets. The paratroopers wore the Airborne badge; the Airlanding Brigades wore the cap badge of their regiment of origin
30 Apr 2015, 22:46 PM

It might be a clone of vcoh british...
30 Apr 2015, 22:52 PM

Romanian, Hungarian, Finnish and Italian commanders.
30 Apr 2015, 23:20 PM

please nail the tone.
the okw were... are an embarrassment. OF/coh1 brits had the most colourful voice acting and such a bombastic score with such drippingly glorious overtones it was hard not to smile as your triumphant army marched to victory.

i think it'd be cool to have more of a commonwealth theme too, especially with the way the commanders work: anzac, scotts/welsh guards, canadian black watch, certainly a lot of options.
1 May 2015, 00:26 AM

please nail the tone.
the okw were... are an embarrassment. OF/coh1 brits had the most colourful voice acting and such a bombastic score with such drippingly glorious overtones it was hard not to smile as your triumphant army marched to victory.

i think it'd be cool to have more of a commonwealth theme too, especially with the way the commanders work: anzac, scotts/welsh guards, canadian black watch, certainly a lot of options.

It's true, the British voice acting was excellent. Southern and Northern accents with the officer class type voice and lots of slang slung in for good measure. I was always sad they were the cheese faction 'cos I really wanted to play as them but couldn't bring myself to Roo it.

It's a real pity they didn't get Germans to voice the German armies for CoH1 or CoH2 or actual Russians for the Soviets. They sound so awful, everything's mispronounced and stereotyped in a bad way :(
1 May 2015, 01:37 AM

It's a real pity they didn't get Germans to voice the German armies for CoH1 or CoH2 or actual Russians for the Soviets. They sound so awful, everything's mispronounced and stereotyped in a bad way :(

yeah, i really dislike the soviets here. they just seem stereotypical, drunken and slovenly, which is doing them a grave disservice... (could be prejudiced on my part, i accept my part in the window in which i interpret things.)

coh1 really sprung to life for me when i used a historical skin pack and replaced the axis speech files with their german equivalent. it added so much flare and character to the game, it was a real joy then. such a shame in my mind we can't do the same now :(

no more snow suit grenadiers!!! seriously.... white and yellow??? what the fuck???
1 May 2015, 04:11 AM

All i want is commando infantry in gliders. ALL I WANT

:snfBarton:

On-topic: Just no trucks and forward retreat points.
1 May 2015, 06:55 AM

It might be a clone of vcoh british...

It hardly. USF - a clone of the original Brits.
they are identical in almost everything except headquarters.
And the freaking officers like the British.
That's why I do not like USF in this game.
1 May 2015, 07:16 AM

Permanently Banned

It hardly. USF - a clone of the original Brits.
they are identical in almost everything except headquarters.
And the freaking officers like the British.
That's why I do not like USF in this game.

Except the officers don't promote blobbing. Don't have bullshit sim-city like emplacement warfare. No non doc howitzer emplacements that can blow everything to kingdom come. I'd consider these pretty major faction characteristics the US doesn't have. Like wtf.
1 May 2015, 07:30 AM

I want to see coastal maps where the navy can come help. Commander unit Nelson class plz. 2000mp 800FU.
9 × BL 16-inch (406 mm) Mk.I guns (3×3)
12 × BL 6 inch Mk XXII guns (6×2)
6 × QF 4.7 inch (120-mm) Mk VIII anti-aircraft guns
48 × QF 2 pdr 40 mm AA guns (6×8)
16 x Bofors 40mm AA guns
1 May 2015, 07:51 AM
Patrion 15

I want to see coastal maps where the navy can come help. Commander unit Nelson class plz. 2000mp 800FU.
9 × BL 16-inch (406 mm) Mk.I guns (3×3)
12 × BL 6 inch Mk XXII guns (6×2)
6 × QF 4.7 inch (120-mm) Mk VIII anti-aircraft guns
48 × QF 2 pdr 40 mm AA guns (6×8)
16 x Bofors 40mm AA guns

A navy fire support arty call in would be great. Something like 3 sturmtiger rounds hitting in quick succession. Warspite provided loads of fire support in loads of campaigns.

Couple it with royal marines commandos (not gliders, give them to a paratrooper doctrine), air arm reconnaissance, naval supply delivery.

Imagine a blockade ability - for 30s you deny the enemy the ability to reinforce and build more units, unlocks at late midgame/early lategame. It'd be pretty hilarious for allies but incredibly un-fun for axis
1 May 2015, 08:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 May 2015, 07:51 AMUS3K

A navy fire support arty call in would be great. Something like 3 sturmtiger rounds hitting in quick succession. Warspite provided loads of fire support in loads of campaigns.

Couple it with royal marines commandos (not gliders, give them to a paratrooper doctrine), air arm reconnaissance, naval supply delivery.

Imagine a blockade ability - for 30s you deny the enemy the ability to reinforce and build more units, unlocks at late midgame/early lategame. It'd be pretty hilarious for allies but incredibly un-fun for axis

A much more serious take than mine, and I like it.

So 3cp for commandos and recon. Supply conversion at 4 or 5 (fuel into mu/weapon crates? The latter offers some good team synergy). Naval support battery at 10 and a supply choke at 12. In exchange for cutting your own income you can slow enemy income, build & reinforce rates, 1 min a pop :megusta:
1 May 2015, 09:22 AM
Patrion 15

A much more serious take than mine, and I like it.

So 3cp for commandos and recon. Supply conversion at 4 or 5 (fuel into mu/weapon crates? The latter offers some good team synergy). Naval support battery at 10 and a supply choke at 12. In exchange for cutting your own income you can slow enemy income, build & reinforce rates, 1 min a pop :megusta:

Yeah the blockade is more of a nice thought, but I don't think it'd be very fun. A better ability to add would be a royal marines centaur tank call in

Edit- so here's how I'd imagine a RN doc - 2cp fleet air arm recon (same as any other recon flight), 3cp royal marines commandos (4 man squad similar to falls to stop potential OPness/shock troop similarity), 6cps navy resupply (same as other resource delivery/conversion abilities), 9cp royal marines centaur iv (bulldozer Sherman analog but slightly less boom for more speed), 12cp naval fire support (similar to railway gun/armour coy. off map).
PAGES (17)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS