Login

russian armor

British Faction, what do you want to see?

PAGES (17)down
10 Apr 2015, 12:42 PM

The achilles won't be the stock TD. It would be too much like USF and the jackson.

Well, brits certainly have more options then USF in that regard.
Firefly.
Churchill with 17pounder.
Brit arsenal isn't as boring and monotonous as USF one.
10 Apr 2015, 12:52 PM

Archer tank destroyers based on the Valentine chassis.

If they have a TD other than a firefly, it'll most likely be fragile and have high penetration, unless Relic designs them to be tougher to be less effective...

Only Germans and a bit of the Russians built tough tank destroyers. Also, wouldnt the firefly be no tougher than USF's shermans? It sure wouldnt be any panther, dont know where that comparison comes from...
10 Apr 2015, 13:24 PM

My wishlist for the British Army:

1) Elite Canadian infantry
2) British SAS commandos
3) Valentine tanks
4) Bring back the voice actor who did the British Infantry Section in CoH1 to CoH2 since he was amazing(Here's a fun fact; the Infantry Section VA in CoH1 did the voice for the Guardsmen for Dawn of War 2)
5)Include Australian and New Zealand infantry via commanders
10 Apr 2015, 13:46 PM

I am really like this KV1 style Churchill Tank with 17 pounder!
10 Apr 2015, 14:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2015, 10:47 AMSwonVIP
PLEASE NO F******** Kangaroo Carrier!
http://companyofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Kangaroo_Carrier

I hope they will receive some heavy armor and maybe the 17 pound AT Gun?
I think the allies already have enough lethal arti e.g. Priest, B4, 152mm Howitzer

But I think the release of the brits will have quite a big impact on the balance between axis and allies in the negative way.
After the release allies (3) are fighting against axies (2) which have not that great variety like the allies have.
I think if that's the case, have OKW and Wehr get first priority on new commanders with new content.
10 Apr 2015, 14:11 PM

Only Germans and a bit of the Russians built tough tank destroyers. Also, wouldnt the firefly be no tougher than USF's shermans? It sure wouldnt be any panther, dont know where that comparison comes from...

The Sherman is considerably tougher than the M10/M36, but less tough and armoured than the Panther. If it was a Sherman body with a long range gun, in game terms it would act similarly to the Panther, able to outrange normal tanks and tough enough to chase them down (although not as effectively in this second capacity). Or you could compare it to the M36 and say "it's just like an M36, but with less damage and more health!" Someone else proposed the Archer tank destroyer, which would be fine too I guess, but it's just like the SU85 / Jagdpanzer IV. Realistically there's nothing they could use that wouldn't be very similar to an existing tank destroyer in the game. I think the Achilles would be a good choice personally, it was extremely numerous and it hasn't been featured in CoH games before.

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2015, 12:42 PMKatitof

Well, brits certainly have more options then USF in that regard.
Firefly.
Churchill with 17pounder.
Brit arsenal isn't as boring and monotonous as USF one.

The 17 pounder Churchill variant never left prototype stage and never saw combat. The Challenger tank would be more probable, but that isn't really THAT much more armored than a Firefly to begin with, just a Cromwell chassis.
10 Apr 2015, 14:17 PM

I am really like this KV1 style Churchill Tank with 17 pounder!

A fancy prototype at the very end of the war -

The last legit Churchill was the Churchill VII with greater armor than previous versions and armed with the QF 75mm, used in the Battle of Normandy of 44'.

Granted there is also the neat Churchill IV AVRE and Churchill VII Crocodile. All depends if Relic chooses earlier war Brits with only a handful of questionable models of tanks, or later when they had designs that were working and effective against German armor.
10 Apr 2015, 14:57 PM

A fancy prototype at the very end of the war -

The last legit Churchill was the Churchill VII with greater armor than previous versions and armed with the QF 75mm, used in the Battle of Normandy of 44'.

Granted there is also the neat Churchill IV AVRE and Churchill VII Crocodile. All depends if Relic chooses earlier war Brits with only a handful of questionable models of tanks, or later when they had designs that were working and effective against German armor.

152mm of frontal armor on the Churchill MKVII, wasn't sloped but there was so much it was effective at stopping shots.
10 Apr 2015, 16:17 PM

- 95mm Centaur variant (SpART; possibly Brumbar-like)

Cromwell VI, which is basically the same thing except more of these were produced. Yeah, it would be a turreted Brummbar minus the armor but faster. Would be cool...
10 Apr 2015, 16:27 PM

Black prince would be nice to see. Of course if Relic wants to get into adding prototypes, which I dont see is a problem with the Persing in vcoh and I&R STGs in WFA.
10 Apr 2015, 16:52 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

My wishlist for the British Army:

1) Elite Canadian infantry

Fine. Which regiment(s)?

2) British SAS commandos

Oh God, please no! :( This is the mistake Relic made.

Even allowing for the fact that game play must and will > authenticity, the SAS in NW Europe (1944/45) were generally units of 3 only on recon, or Maquis organisation. Do you envisage the SAS as the equivalent of Partisans? (In which case, their call-in should be limited)

3) Valentine tanks

You have a death wish for the these tank commanders? :O ( I don't think these tanks ever made it to NW Europe)

4) Bring back the voice actor who did the British Infantry Section in CoH1 to CoH2 since he was amazing(Here's a fun fact; the Infantry Section VA in CoH1 did the voice for the Guardsmen for Dawn of War(2)

The voice acting was good, agreed :)

Include Australian and New Zealand infantry via commanders

Depends on the theatre of war - but honestly,in the current set-up (Russia/France/Belgium), this would weaken game immersion, not strengthen it, bcs such infantry did not exist in RL.

If the game were set in N Africa/Crete/Italy - that is another matter, granted
10 Apr 2015, 17:05 PM

You have a death wish for the these tank commanders? :O ( I don't think these tanks ever made it to NW Europe)

They were used very sparingly in Europe, actually. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42815

Constant modifications like more armor and a bigger gun made it somewhat usable. But very few were used for combat...
10 Apr 2015, 17:11 PM

There is a difference.

I do not want to derail this thread - so essentially, the Axis did not seem to obtain much of a return from their ethnic recruits in the Free Indian Legion, Afrika Korps, 13 & 21st Waffen Mountain Divisions, who were mostly ex-PoWs, or escaping forced labour.

http://www.feldgrau.com/azadhind.html

Whereas the Allied units referred to in post #43, were important fighting troops of the Allies, but in campaigns so far not covered by Relic. (You could start a thread about this in the library, if you wish)

Back to topic

Ok I know it's off topic but the Free Indian Legion were not ex-PoW's they were volunteers. They were fighting for independence against the British. The 13th SS Volunteer Bosnian-Herzegovinian Mountain Division as the article says were also volunteers. Just as was the French Charlemagne SS division. Infact Wikipedia states that 60% of the Waffen SS consisted of non-ethnic German volunteers. Yes apparently that is true.
10 Apr 2015, 17:18 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Start a topic in the Library and we can all discuss. For now, I stick with the link :)
10 Apr 2015, 17:24 PM

Fine. Which regiment(s)?

The Highland Light Infantry of Canada or The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada-either or is fine with me.

Oh God, please no! :( This is the mistake Relic made.

What mistake would you be referring to? SAS commandos in CoH1 were my second favourite unit in the game so I would like to see them return in CoH2.

Even allowing for the fact that game play must and will > authenticity, the SAS in NW Europe (1944/45) were generally units of 3 only on recon, or Maquis organisation. Do you envisage the SAS as the equivalent of Partisans? (In which case, their call-in should be limited)

Historical authenticity isn't really a problem at this point. You're worried about SAS commandos fighting in Europe in 1944? Wait till you play CoH2 and fight the Germans in Stalingrad as the US Army; you're going to be in for a shock.

The OKW flaktrack the OKW uses was incredibly rare and only 1 was built and used; the Sturmtiger saw maybe a few engagements if that; the number of tanks built and how many times they've been used isn't used to determine if they're viable in-game as Relic has already shown. I want the Valentine tanks so it'll act as a support tank for infantry advances; it won't be able to beat medium and heavy tanks in a direct fight, but it can used as a solid anti-infantry support platform which would fit the British Army for CoH2; leave the heavy tank destroyer equipment to the Archer tanks, Fireflies, 17 pounders and etc.

The voice acting was good, agreed :)

Indeed, it was why I mainly played the British faction in CoH1; the voice acting was extremely fun to listen to.

Depends on the theatre of war - but honestly,in the current set-up (Russia/France/Belgium), this would weaken game immersion, not strengthen it, bcs such infantry did not exist in RL.

If the game were set in N Africa/Crete/Italy - that is another matter, granted

Relic has already shown that historical authenticity has been thrown out the window for the most part. Are you really telling me that having Australian and New Zealand infantry fighting in mainland Europe is somehow crossing a line, but having US Army troops pushing back the Germans in Stalingrad isn't? Having Commonwealth troops fight on mainland Europe wouldn't break immersion for me, but obviously it would be a problem for you, and I don't think I can convince you otherwise.
10 Apr 2015, 17:24 PM

They were used very sparingly in Europe, actually. http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42815

Constant modifications like more armor and a bigger gun made it somewhat usable. But very few were used for combat...
I love the upped armor, up gunned Valentines.
10 Apr 2015, 17:28 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Valentine Gap Jumping Tank

or

The Rocket Leaping Bren Gun Carrier was designed to cross minefields and other obstacles by firing its rockets. It got cancelled after it killed its crew by landing upside down during trials. A variant based on the valentine tank, the Valentine Gap Jumping Tank, also existed and was cancelled because it usually landed upside down as well.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/Von_poop/album%202/attachment-9php.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/Von_poop/album%202/attachment-10php.jpg
10 Apr 2015, 17:32 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2015, 17:28 PMnigo
Valentine Gap Jumping Tank

Wicked! :D
10 Apr 2015, 17:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Apr 2015, 17:28 PMnigo
The Rocket Leaping Bren Gun Carrier was designed to cross minefields and other obstacles by firing its rockets. It got cancelled after it killed its crew by landing upside down during trials. A variant based on the valentine tank, the Valentine Gap Jumping Tank, also existed and was cancelled because it usually landed upside down as well.

The crew probably took the testing job all thinking "This is going to be so awesome."

And probably was kinda still in spite of whole, you know, embarrassing deaths and all.
10 Apr 2015, 18:21 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

The Highland Light Infantry of Canada or The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada-either or is fine with me.

Perfectly fine - you are the Canadian- and also the Regiment de la Chaudiere, the Fort Gary Horse and the North Shore and Winnipeg Rifles? (Carpiquet airfield)

What mistake would you be referring to? SAS commandos in CoH1 were my second favourite unit in the game so I would like to see them return in CoH2.

To strip the thing down to essentials (and we are talking UK forces at present) in RL the British airborne was divided into Paratroopers (with support units) on the one hand, and Airlanding troops (from gliders) on the other. AFAIK, all wore the maroon berets, except that paratroopers carried the Airborne badge on their 'red' beret, whereas the glider troops carried their regimental badge on their 'red beret'.

The paratroopers were drawn from all arms of the British army; the Airlanding Brigades were infantry battalions which were retrained e.g. the Kings Own Scottish Borderers; the South Staffordshire Regiment and the Border Regiment

All wore red berets ,officers and men

The Commandos, OTOH, were essentially troops who attacked from the sea (in the first instance). Initially, the Commandos - the Army Commandos- were comprised of men from all arms of the British Army. They wore green berets, officers and men. Each man retained his regimental cap badge.

Later, certain troops of the Royal Marines were also designated as Royal Marine Commandos.The Marines cap badge was retained

All wore green berets,officers and men.

The SAS were created from Commandos in the N African campaign. They were a small raiding party. Some were adapted for use in NW Europe - but not as a conventional fighting force

Historical authenticity isn't really a problem at this point. You're worried about SAS commandos fighting in Europe in 1944? Wait till you play CoH2 and fight the Germans in Stalingrad as the US Army; you're going to be in for a shock.

:D Point fully conceded ( but never contested)

The OKW flaktrack the OKW uses was incredibly rare and only 1 was built and used; the Sturmtiger saw maybe a few engagements if that; the number of tanks built and how many times they've been used isn't used to determine if they're viable in-game as Relic has already shown. I want the Valentine tanks so it'll act as a support tank for infantry advances; it won't be able to beat medium and heavy tanks in a direct fight, but it can used as a solid anti-infantry support platform which would fit the British Army for CoH2; leave the heavy tank destroyer equipment to the Archer tanks, Fireflies, 17 pounders and etc.

Well here, we do depart. The Valentine was never used as a battle tank in NW Europe

Relic has already shown that historical authenticity has been thrown out the window for the most part. Are you really telling me that having Australian and New Zealand infantry fighting in mainland Europe is somehow crossing a line, but having US Army troops pushing back the Germans in Stalingrad isn't? Having Commonwealth troops fight on mainland Europe wouldn't break immersion for me, but obviously it would be a problem for you, and I don't think I can convince you otherwise.

Your logic is indefeasible, but do not think for one minute, that I like/promote/the idea of the switchover from the East front to the Western front, as you succintly point out. I find it abhorrent.

So I have to comfort myself with that old truism: gameplay > authenticity. It does not mean I like it. ;)
PAGES (17)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS