Login

russian armor

British Faction, what do you want to see?

PAGES (17)down
20 Apr 2015, 18:23 PM
Donator 11

Eh... it's pretty much confirmed that it's gonna be Brits.

Actually no.

- Churchill posters hung demonstratively on the walls in Relics' streams

Cynthia is into bald guys.

- The icon for the new faction on the roadmap is a Tommy helmet.

Actually that looks more like Saturn or Jupiter.

- The registration for the new alpha includes the phase "By Jove" which has a British origin.

"Jove is an alternative name for the Roman god Jupiter."

At this point, space Nazis Axis are confirmed!
20 Apr 2015, 18:26 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Oh yeah ^^

Noyce, but since this is an Ostheer commander, I would like to suggest 3 variants: ;)

O CPs

The Bike - yes, the one and only bike :D

8 CPs

Stuka zu Fuss

9 CPs

The Bergetiger, bcs you are playing 'All Arms'

i.e. forget 'Counterattack', 'Light artillery barrage' and 'For the Reich'
20 Apr 2015, 18:41 PM
Patrion 14

Rommel doctrine - get saddled with Italians, fall out with the boss when you realise you've backed the wrong horse, spend a year or two supervising wall-building then commit suicide.

20 Apr 2015, 18:45 PM
Benefactor 115

when you realise you've backed the wrong horse,

20 Apr 2015, 18:45 PM

20 Apr 2015, 18:52 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2015, 18:45 PMVonIvan

You are a bad man :D
20 Apr 2015, 18:52 PM

Cant wait to over repair t 70 to gve okw players taste of their own p2.
20 Apr 2015, 19:12 PM

I like how their are people ITT that are saying a Axis faction based around a combination of Italian and German forces using stuff like the StuG IV or Jadgpanther would be unviable but Brits are lol.

Brits had a plethora of terrible armor, there is no need to get huffy about realism.
20 Apr 2015, 19:41 PM

Brits had a plethora of terrible armor, there is no need to get huffy about realism.

Early days of Africa the brits laughed at silly German panzers. Matilda senior was like the KV was an introduction to the eastern front.

Churchills were, for all their many faults, very well armoured for their design and perfectly capable in their role in British military tactics of the time. And capable of crossing any terrain you threw at them save for literally vertical climbs. But they could get damn close.

Comet was essentially a British Pershing in terms of armour protection, limited runs included the Tortoise (as numerous as ostwinds ever were), etc. etc.

Of course, they didn't have the best land force, but they were predominately a naval power up until WWII and invested heavily in the RAF throughout, hoping to use commonwealth territorries, Russia and America to provide numerical weight where they could not.

First rate artillery of any nation in the war only rivalled by sheer numerical weight levied by russia, plenty of time spent developing bombing techniques.

Brits are a viable WWII power and are credited as such with good reason. They just don't have white elephant KRUPP STEEHL designs for people to wehraboo over in RTS games. Because they designed them (see TOG II [hah], Black Prince) but learned earlier than most that enormous, monstrosity heavy tanks were not the future of armoured combat.
20 Apr 2015, 19:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2015, 18:52 PMJadame!
Cant wait to over repair t 70 to gve okw players taste of their own p2.

LOL. I had completely forgotten about this ability. Nice one.
20 Apr 2015, 19:49 PM

Comet was essentially a British Pershing in terms of armour protection, limited runs included the Tortoise (as numerous as ostwinds ever were), etc. etc.

Actually, not quite... Comet was tougher than cromwell, but nowhere as tough as the Pershing... For what im looking at. It actually had a gun mantlet, and a pretty tough one compared to the lack of one for the cromwell, but that matters little in this game.

I have never heard of the tortoise in combat, nor do i ever want to see it. I just assume the Ostwind represents the many odds and ends of vehicles the germans put flak cannons on.
20 Apr 2015, 20:22 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I have never heard of the tortoise in combat, nor do i ever want to see it. I just assume the Ostwind represents the many odds and ends of vehicles the germans put flak cannons on.

I doubt that, they had a Wirbelwind in OF. To be fair though from what I can tell, there was basically no German self-propelled AA guns in WW2 that were produced in any significant quantity (it kinda looks like basically no one did to me either actually).
20 Apr 2015, 20:39 PM

Early days of Africa the brits laughed at silly German panzers. Matilda senior was like the KV was an introduction to the eastern front.

Churchills were, for all their many faults, very well armoured for their design and perfectly capable in their role in British military tactics of the time. And capable of crossing any terrain you threw at them save for literally vertical climbs. But they could get damn close.

Of course, they didn't have the best land force, but they were predominately a naval power up until WWII and invested heavily in the RAF throughout, hoping to use commonwealth territorries, Russia and America to provide numerical weight where they could not.

First rate artillery of any nation in the war only rivalled by sheer numerical weight levied by russia, plenty of time spent developing bombing techniques.

Brits are a viable WWII power and are credited as such with good reason. They just don't have white elephant KRUPP STEEHL designs for people to wehraboo over in RTS games. Because they designed them (see TOG II [hah], Black Prince) but learned earlier than most that enormous, monstrosity heavy tanks were not the future of armoured combat.

The issue with British tanks is they all come from a fundamental misunderstanding of the strategical necessities of WW2. Many of them were made assuming conditions similar to those in WW1, not to mention failure to understand what made tanks good such as sloped armor and speed.

The British had good support weapons, but it would be impossible to build the faction around heavy reliance on armor. They are as equally viable as a new Axis faction that focused on Assault Guns and TD's would be.

To wit, the only faction that would be unviable is the Japs, simply because the tanks they would need to be competitive didn't even exist.
20 Apr 2015, 20:48 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

The issue with British tanks is they all come from a fundamental misunderstanding of the strategical necessities of WW2. Many of them were made assuming conditions similar to those in WW1, not to mention failure to understand what made tanks good such as sloped armor and speed.

And the Americans followed suit...

You are wrong about speed and sloping, though - it was one of the British recommendations for the standard Allied tank, which emerged in the form of the Sherman.

What the Allies appear to have overlooked, was the development of battle tanks on the Eastern Front.
20 Apr 2015, 20:51 PM

The British had good support weapons, but it would be impossible to build the faction around heavy reliance on armor. They are as equally viable as a new Axis faction that focused on Assault Guns and TD's would be.

To wit, the only faction that would be unviable is the Japs, simply because the tanks they would need to be competitive didn't even exist.

Most of what you said in this post is very true, but why do I get the feeling you try to force the idea of third axis faction
20 Apr 2015, 20:55 PM

Most of what you said in this post is very true, but why do I get the feeling you try to force the idea of third axis faction

I'm not trying to force it, I don't mind if Relic just makes new commanders which OKW/Ost really do need. But many have speculated that they might release a third Axis faction at a later date.

20 Apr 2015, 21:00 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

They are as equally viable as a new Axis faction that focused on Assault Guns and TD's would be.

I can't see why they wouldn't.
20 Apr 2015, 21:01 PM

I'm not trying to force it, I don't mind if Relic just makes new commanders which OKW/Ost really do need. But many have speculated that they might release a third Axis faction at a later date.

IMO it's never going to happen.

Three allied makes sense, there were three major world powers vying against the Axis in WWII. UK, US, USSR. All the others are minor.

By comparison, the only nation to come close to that level of significance on the axis side, excluding Germany, is Italy. And whilst I would like to see it, I don't think it fits the bizarre mindset Relic has about designing axis factions.

Japs were fighting a very different war on a different front and with an even heavier reliance on naval power and airforce than the brits did. Not viable for a game like CoH2, sadly. They'd get pinned by support weapons and kited by tanks and generally have a miserable time.

And a third faction that's just more sodding Germany... why? We already have two whole factions that are entirely German covering East and West fronts. If you MUST see your particular variants of Krupp Steehl shaped box you happen to be engaged to a model of, petition for the new commander system to have new units or for the ability to swap out some of your roster for equivalents like CoH1's Opposing Fronts.
20 Apr 2015, 21:21 PM

IMO it's never going to happen.

Three allied makes sense, there were three major world powers vying against the Axis in WWII. UK, US, USSR. All the others are minor.

By comparison, the only nation to come close to that level of significance on the axis side, excluding Germany, is Italy. And whilst I would like to see it, I don't think it fits the bizarre mindset Relic has about designing axis factions.

Japs were fighting a very different war on a different front and with an even heavier reliance on naval power and airforce than the brits did. Not viable for a game like CoH2, sadly. They'd get pinned by support weapons and kited by tanks and generally have a miserable time.

And a third faction that's just more sodding Germany... why? We already have two whole factions that are entirely German covering East and West fronts. If you MUST see your particular variants of Krupp Steehl shaped box you happen to be engaged to a model of, petition for the new commander system to have new units or for the ability to swap out some of your roster for equivalents like CoH1's Opposing Fronts.

Considering the extremely poor amount of unit diversity in the game (like seriously were are all the COOL Sherman variants?) multiple armies from the same country do make a bit more sense. For instance a Soviet faction that focused on elite infantry like marines or paratroopers would be cool.

A combined Italian and German army would be interesting, especially if it focused on artillery and support weapons instead of the no-tank all infantry blob fest OKW is.

Also your spamming of "le ebin krupp steel meme" is really annoying lol. Nobody mentions it on this forum except people looking for something to whine about.
20 Apr 2015, 21:35 PM

Considering the extremely poor amount of unit diversity in the game (like seriously were are all the COOL Sherman variants?) multiple armies from the same country do make a bit more sense. For instance a Soviet faction that focused on elite infantry like marines or paratroopers would be cool.

A combined Italian and German army would be interesting, especially if it focused on artillery and support weapons instead of the no-tank all infantry blob fest OKW is.

Also your spamming of "le ebin krupp steel meme" is really annoying lol. Nobody mentions it on this forum except people looking for something to whine about.

I'm in full agreement with this post. Both in that countries aren't really used to their full potential, and in that the Krupp Schteel meme isn't really a thing on .org.
PAGES (17)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 19
Germany 15
South Africa 1
Netherlands 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L