Login

russian armor

Relic, let the community balance the game

5 Apr 2015, 20:31 PM

Def doc is best used vs OKW, trust me, Dshka countered even Obers before this "balance patch" it just deals a lot of damage, 45mm gun is good vs anything that OKW can get (except KT and panthers), AI mines are good vs some expensive stuff to reinforce like 50% OKW units and are really cheap (7 muni?), tank traps aren't so great but they at least give green cover
5 Apr 2015, 20:34 PM

Yup, defensive doctrines would be potent if the game would be more balanced. It's a great idea but sadly poorly implemented.
5 Apr 2015, 20:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yup, defensive doctrines would be potent if the game would be more balanced. It's a great idea but sadly poorly implemented.

Heavies > not heavies alone being fixed would do shittons for the usefulness of many, many commanders. A lot of them have legitimately fine and good abilities, it's just insufficient versus heavies.
5 Apr 2015, 21:45 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Def doc is best used vs OKW, trust me, Dshka countered even Obers before this "balance patch" it just deals a lot of damage, 45mm gun is good vs anything that OKW can get (except KT and panthers), AI mines are good vs some expensive stuff to reinforce like 50% OKW units and are really cheap (7 muni?), tank traps aren't so great but they at least give green cover

I won't disbelieve you because I know you are much better than me and in 1v1 the lack of late game punch doesn't matter so much
5 Apr 2015, 21:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2015, 20:30 PMVuther

Aren't they significantly more survivable and significantly easier creatures to maintain than horses?

I wouldn't know.
6 Apr 2015, 00:26 AM

We tried this before and it failed. It worked on vCOH 2.602 because Relic knew it was EOL and they didnt have a business model setup to make any more money off of it so it was in their best interest to close that chapter with good balance at least. That was some of the most fun I've had in the community and the communication between Devs and Expert/Veterans was excellent.

COH2 is in a much different place with a much bigger business goal in mind. We tried bringing in expert players from the very beginning to guide Relic on what needed to be done to make this game a success from LAUNCH not 2 years later but needless to say it didn't last long as Relic did not like most of what we had to say. We hoped that we'd carry on the momentum from the 2.602 patch with the same folks but it was completely different and quite disheartening. 2 years later now and they're just now talking about implementing leaderboards, balance nor functional features is not #1 priority, new DLC content is. New factions, skins, commanders, all the things that make money for the business is what funds new functionality and balance patches etc.

God fucking reality to this capitalistic gaming industry nowadays. Amen.
6 Apr 2015, 00:27 AM

Apparently to some faction choice equals to girlfriend of wife choice and hell, they are devoted, choosing death before "cheating" with another one.

Are you talking about your date with your sister called soviet union?
6 Apr 2015, 00:55 AM

Camels are super rad, extremely versatile and amazing animals... they also spit at you.

6 Apr 2015, 01:02 AM
Coder Red Badge

In all honesty, the community didn't produce the 2.602 balance patch. A very small subset of the community, almost entirely top-level tournament players, produced the balance patch with what was probably the best balance dev Relic's ever had. Good luck reproducing that situation.

Don't get me wrong, it's far and away the best possible way to balance the game, but I don't see Relic ever doing it again. Taylor Fales genuinely wanted to make the game the best possible competitive RTS it could be. Nobody at Relic right now cares about proper competitive play to the degree he did when he was developing that patch.
6 Apr 2015, 01:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2015, 21:59 PMwuff

I wouldn't know.

Yes they are more survivable than horses
6 Apr 2015, 09:13 AM

Yes they are more survivable than horses

Ok, well it was an analogy, Maybe it isn't well known one.
6 Apr 2015, 10:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2015, 10:17 AMBurts
You would be suprised how many of these people there is in coh2.

Every now and then when playing axis starting a match an opponent writes "Die filthy nazi scum!" and I ask my friend if we should maybe inform him that we don't actually sympahise with nazis, that we are only playing a faction as part of a game.
6 Apr 2015, 10:29 AM

Funny how the first persons to answer to luvnest's legit question are actualy the most vocal fanboys of this forum.
6 Apr 2015, 11:31 AM

If the community does such a good job why aren't there 5000 players playing cruzz's kappatch every day? I thing most people bitching about this game just do it because they think that they are so good at this game or they do it because some very good players do it.
6 Apr 2015, 11:35 AM

Funny how the first persons to answer to luvnest's legit question are actualy the most vocal fanboys of this forum.

It is expected, isn't it? :foreveralone:
6 Apr 2015, 12:08 PM

If the community does such a good job why aren't there 5000 players playing cruzz's kappatch every day? I thing most people bitching about this game just do it because they think that they are so good at this game or they do it because some very good players do it.

Hard truth. Let's be honest, I bitch and cry when I lose as Axis or Allies after a game. But in the end, almost all of my loses are L2P issues, and the fact that the opponent know how to exploit balance issues more that I do.
6 Apr 2015, 12:31 PM

Additionally, presuming that wasn't a barrier, it patching shit costs money. Admittedly, I don't know how much, I'm assuming a significant portion goes into the cost of labour required for making patches in the first place(Cutting out the design side, we still need programmers to implement it) and then making use of the Steam servers to ship it(Which I'm assuming is significant, as otherwise Relic would be giving us rapid, small, incremental patches), you'd want to be sure what "the community" is proposing is a high quality, professional production. Can you really be sure of that? If I was the person pitching this, I wouldn't be able to say so.

An interesting assumption:

Is the cost of being hosted on Steam so prohibitive that it has an effect on the frequency of patching ?

Is Relic's COH2 budget handicapped to such an extent ?

Do bean counters really rule the roost ?
6 Apr 2015, 13:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2015, 23:43 PMVuther

Games aren't based on logic and fairness, they're based around people playing them for fun.

And apparently a lot of people gladly find doing just about the exact same thing over and over fun...so then they don't care about everything else in the game so long as the part they find fun doesn't get messed with (needless to say, people usually find winning fun too).

you nailed it there, COH2 will be never balanced, or become truly competitive scene. Main reason is no competition. Starcraft had to deal with numerous imitators and other RTS franchises. COH2 is the only TRTS on the market, and the market by itself does not seem very lucrative.

Me personally after around 2000 hours in COH1 gave up on the COH franchise and stopped playing this genre.
Most astonishing is that if DOW3 will come out, i will probably buy it on sale, because relic are the only ones making tactical real time strategy.

We just don't have any choice really, relic can do what-ever they want until a major competitor enters the scene.
6 Apr 2015, 15:45 PM

Another myth... No orther good RTS out there. There are many but they suck in comparison to COH. Because let's face it, COH is the best RTS ever (1 & 2). Maybe it's not esports material ( tbh I don't give a rats ass and only a very small part of the community wants it to be)but it is God damn good. If I am wrong (which. I am not) you would see over 2000 sign ups in every tournament.
I wish people would stop with the esport shit, it's getting very annoying!
6 Apr 2015, 18:53 PM

Correct, the AI mines are unique

But Dishka comes in Lend Lease and the 45mm is in Urban Defence - where it is a bit more potent inside the FHQ aura

I was more refering to the combo of these being togeather is really strong. And the fact that these 2 call ins are only found in 1 other doc. :3

I know the soviet commanders in and out buddy ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

South Africa 2
Germany 786
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak