Login

russian armor

From the makers of Homeworld: HARDWARE

24 May 2013, 11:23 AM
24 May 2013, 13:49 PM
Senior Caster Badge

The "makers" of Homeworld isn't quite accurate - it's just artists, I think. It's a free to play "social" strategy game, and if those words don't make you throw up then I don't know what will. I mean maybe it will turn out to be fun but basically I'm picturing "use your credit card to buy the best units." Like, even worse than CoH 2 is going to be.
24 May 2013, 22:08 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

25 May 2013, 09:07 AM

sarcasm?

1. Even if he is being facetious, that is not the same as sarcasm
2. What in that post would be facetious except maybe the last sentence and a half?
3. Why would he be? It is not all that funny to say they are artists from homeworld.

And yah, the only name I recognized in the credits was an art director.
25 May 2013, 09:16 AM

sarcasm?

no, the truth...
25 May 2013, 14:12 PM
Senior Caster Badge

sarcasm?

Unfortunately I'm not joking. Their website says: "This is Hardware, the newest Free to Play (F2P) real-time strategy (RTS) game from the creators of Homeworld." They're selling beta access (to their FREE GAME) in the store and check out the prices: it's $50 to get into the beta and get a strategy guide, and $100 to get that plus an art book, a soundtrack, and naming rights. They are fucking greedy as hell and you just know that if it's a F2P RTS they're going to make their money by selling units and other stuff. No company greed enough to charge $50 for a beta for a free game is going to pass up the chance to sell units for money. This is pretty much just the artists from Homeworld hoping their pretty pictures can get people to play Company of Heroes Online again.
25 May 2013, 15:08 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Let me shed some light, the exec producer of the game, and Homeworld 2 and a few of the Myst games.

"The "makers" of Homeworld isn't quite accurate"-Tycho <----Inaccurate

The majority of the people working on the game are from the old Relic team. (they've said that publicly too)

The exec producer of the game as i mentioned is Daniel Irish, he also was exec producer of Homeworld 2 and a few of the Myst games and worked on many others. The majority of the people working on the game are from the old Relic team. (they've said that publicly)

The exec producer as i mentioned is Daniel Irish. http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/04/14/interview-daniel-irish-discusses-hardware-shipbreakers-shows-off-concept-art-and-explains-how-homeworld-changed-his-life/

I find it interesting that people bash "free games" with the wild success of games like DOTA2, so any argument suggesting that is a bad thing seems without foundation and i will not argue that point further regardless of whats posted. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/26/hardwares-creators-give-us-reasons-to-be-excited/

So in conclusion, really interesting looking game, Homeworld 2 executive producer with a ton of experience, epic art style, tons of the old experienced Relic developers, and a closed beta to get things started. How about yes! Tycho, take your negative nancy attitude somewhere else.
26 May 2013, 00:57 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I'll shut up until the game comes out, but as for F2P games in general, pretty much the only good one is DOTA 2, because it doesn't sell any gameplay -influencing items in its store, and the only reason it can do this is because Valve is fucking rich. If Hardware doesn't sell any gameplay stuff in the store then I can pretty much guarantee I'll play it and hopefully enjoy it. If people can buy more powerful units, though, I'm not sure it will be fun. We'll have to wait and see, though, and we'll especially have to wait if we don't drop $50 to get into the beta.
26 May 2013, 10:11 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Riot was not rich and they built a game where you don't buy stuff that makes you win, I don't see why Hardware can't do the same if they are good enough to create a similar f2p model
29 May 2013, 16:31 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Gameplay reveal! Looks super pretty:

Hux
29 May 2013, 23:53 PM
Patrion 14

From the creators of Homeworld... comes... Homeworld.. on land.

It would have been nice to at least have seen some advancements on the Homeworld tac map. (dont get me wrong, I luurve Homeworld) but it would have been nice to see them doing something even mildly original... blue contrails (excuse me, phase trails), tinny radio voices, big shipwrecks, I can play Homeworld 2 and have all of those as of today.

It seems another studio has contracted Richard Garriot syndrome. at least my kids will be playing Hardworld: Phase trail long after I'm gone I guess.

26 Jun 2013, 02:14 AM

Unfortunately I'm not joking. Their website says: "This is Hardware, the newest Free to Play (F2P) real-time strategy (RTS) game from the creators of Homeworld." They're selling beta access (to their FREE GAME) in the store and check out the prices: it's $50 to get into the beta and get a strategy guide, and $100 to get that plus an art book, a soundtrack, and naming rights. They are fucking greedy as hell and you just know that if it's a F2P RTS they're going to make their money by selling units and other stuff. No company greed enough to charge $50 for a beta for a free game is going to pass up the chance to sell units for money. This is pretty much just the artists from Homeworld hoping their pretty pictures can get people to play Company of Heroes Online again.

Erm... I think you misread it. Apparently 50 dollars only gets you the prospectors guide (whatever that really is). If you want GUARANTEED access to closed beta you have to pay 100 dollars for the 'First Wave VIP package' ............................................................................................................................................................... :(
26 Jun 2013, 02:56 AM
Senior Caster Badge

lol you're right

People complain about day 1 DLC for CoH 2 but this is like day -406 DLC.
26 Jun 2013, 03:49 AM

I don't udnerstand why they didn't just perform a Kickstarter (and if they did, WHY are they doing this?)
8 Jul 2013, 17:22 PM
Honorary Member Badge

they say f2p is for the consumer but in reality the only reason it was implemented is they discovered if the game is supposedly free people will put hundreds of dollars into the game without a care int eh world cause the game is free right.

f2p isn't about making games more accessible or as alternate way to pay even. its about how do i get more than more than 60 bucks off a game. dlc packs, micro payments, map packs, F2P are all schemes to do that. good or bad that's what there for. they often try to force you to buy them with all sorts of little tricks even if its supposedly optional.

f2p id argue is the worst because often and pretty much exclusively they design payments as a way to ease the suffering or grind. so how do they make more money they make it harder to grind or impossible if they can get away with it. (often it just gets worse and worse till its miserable unless you pay them. that's what they want ofc ruining whatever game they made.

money/greed the root of all evil. :P:(
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS